The Student Room Group

Psychology A-level opinions?

Just wondering about a-level psychology is it well respected and what were your opinions on it? Would you recommend doing it and if you decide to do a psychology degree what other a-levels would be recommended?

Thank you! And sorry for so many questions. 😬😂
Cambridge and Oxford take it as a subject for most things (though it won't fufill the hard science requirement for science degrees)
I do it at A level and really enjoy it, it's a manageable workload, interesting and the exams aren't too hard to revise for - that's not to say it's easy but if you put in the work you can do it.

The only one downside for me was the amount you need to learn, there are a lot of studies.
All in all though, definitely recommend doing it if you're interested

For a psychology degree - Biology (for biopsychology and neuroscience links) and maths (for the statistical side) are useful, but not needed. Really just take the subjects you're interested in and as long as they're not general studies or critical thinking you'll be fine with getting into university.
Reply 2
Original post by Michael_Fishy
Cambridge and Oxford take it as a subject for most things (though it won't fufill the hard science requirement for science degrees)
I do it at A level and really enjoy it, it's a manageable workload, interesting and the exams aren't too hard to revise for - that's not to say it's easy but if you put in the work you can do it.

The only one downside for me was the amount you need to learn, there are a lot of studies.
All in all though, definitely recommend doing it if you're interested

For a psychology degree - Biology (for biopsychology and neuroscience links) and maths (for the statistical side) are useful, but not needed. Really just take the subjects you're interested in and as long as they're not general studies or critical thinking you'll be fine with getting into university.

Ah ok! Are you planning on doing a degree in psychology? Also may I ask what A levels you are doing? Thank you for your help :smile:
Original post by honeybee1
Ah ok! Are you planning on doing a degree in psychology? Also may I ask what A levels you are doing? Thank you for your help :smile:

No, I'm going to be doing a law degree. I've taken Biology, Government & Politics and Psychology. Took Chemistry at AS, and the EPQ as well.

Originally I wanted to do medicine, dropped that when I failed chemistry at AS
No, I'm going to be doing a law degree. I've taken Biology, Government & Politics and Psychology. Took Chemistry at AS, and the EPQ as well.

Your subjects are really interesting.

What uni do you wish to go to?
Edit: Is Psych fine for Law?
Reply 5

Would you say psychology is enjoyable? Also is the work relatively manageable??
Just wondering about a-level psychology is it well respected and what were your opinions on it? Would you recommend doing it and if you decide to do a psychology degree what other a-levels would be recommended?

Thank you! And sorry for so many questions. 😬😂

For me I remember Psychology A-level mainly being memorising studies. It can be useful for university in the sense that it gives you an idea of the research that takes place in psychology and the main concepts and studies within the field (e.g. Milgram's obedience study, social learning theory, social identity theory).

If you're thinking of a degree in psychology you'll find that it's a lot different to A-level. There's more emphasis on research skills and statistical analyses, as well as learning psychological concepts rather than just memorising studies. I do enjoy it though, more so than I did at A-level.

For other A-levels I would recommend biology because you would probably have some neuropsychology modules and it would help with certain concepts like neural transmission. You could also take stats, however for most of the statistical analyses you mainly need to learn when they are appropriate and how to conduct them using SPSS. In my opinion this is something that can be picked up quite easily without taking stats, as long as you have a relatively good grasp of maths. I would recommend taking an essay subject though, just to get used to the idea of writing essays and having to research as this will be a valuable skill needed to be successful in a psychology degree.

Hope this is helpful, sorry for the long post!
Would you say psychology is enjoyable? Also is the work relatively manageable??

Short answer yes. Just have good time management skills(applies for everything)
Reply 8
Original post by Claros
For me I remember Psychology A-level mainly being memorising studies. It can be useful for university in the sense that it gives you an idea of the research that takes place in psychology and the main concepts and studies within the field (e.g. Milgram's obedience study, social learning theory, social identity theory).

If you're thinking of a degree in psychology you'll find that it's a lot different to A-level. There's more emphasis on research skills and statistical analyses, as well as learning psychological concepts rather than just memorising studies. I do enjoy it though, more so than I did at A-level.

For other A-levels I would recommend biology because you would probably have some neuropsychology modules and it would help with certain concepts like neural transmission. You could also take stats, however for most of the statistical analyses you mainly need to learn when they are appropriate and how to conduct them using SPSS. In my opinion this is something that can be picked up quite easily without taking stats, as long as you have a relatively good grasp of maths. I would recommend taking an essay subject though, just to get used to the idea of writing essays and having to research as this will be a valuable skill needed to be successful in a psychology degree.

Hope this is helpful, sorry for the long post!

The only thing about doing biology a level is that I hate learning about plants… plus I haven't done separate sciences and I feel like I would enjoy other subjects more. Do you think it's essential to have done a level biology to progress onto a degree in psychology?

Thanks for your help!!
Reply 9
Original post by Blancosdos
Short answer yes. Just have good time management skills(applies for everything)

Thank you!
The only thing about doing biology a level is that I hate learning about plants… plus I haven't done separate sciences and I feel like I would enjoy other subjects more. Do you think it's essential to have done a level biology to progress onto a degree in psychology?

Thanks for your help!!

Definitely not. It would give you a bit of a head start on some neuropsychology topics, but other than that you will be completely fine without taking biology. If you don't think you'll enjoy it then best save that space for another subject!
Reply 11
Original post by Claros
Definitely not. It would give you a bit of a head start on some neuropsychology topics, but other than that you will be completely fine without taking biology. If you don't think you'll enjoy it then best save that space for another subject!

Ok thanks! Do some unis think it's essential to have done biology??

Quick Reply

Latest