The Student Room Group

best way to make notes

sure this has been asked like 247438 times BUT
long story short, my chem A level notes are a MESS literally. hess's law is mixed up with atomic structure and my binder is just a war zone.

i want to start a fresh and make nice neat clean concise notes. my question is should i type these up or hand write them? typing is obviously faster and easier, but what about diagrams and graphs? and is it true that if they're handwritten the content actually sticks in your mind?

:holmes:
I think it might be a good idea (if you have time) to type up the notes, and then make handwritten notes with diagrams from them. It just really helps consolidate the information, and then gives you a creative form of the notes with colour etc to really help it sink in.
If youre limited in time: type.
I think that typing up the written notes and hand-drawing diagrams and graphs would be your best bet. If you have enough time then handwriting may be better, but if time is getting short then typing up the majority of the notes would be the best solution in my opinion :smile:
For typing notes and adding diagrams/ tables, I find microsoft one note to be great, and you can also save notes by topic so your notes stay super organised. You could also always handwrite condensed versions of your notes or flashcards to help you learn the essentials if you have the time
Original post by Leviathan1741
I think that typing up the written notes and hand-drawing diagrams and graphs would be your best bet. If you have enough time then handwriting may be better, but if time is getting short then typing up the majority of the notes would be the best solution in my opinion :smile:

hmmmm. ok. the thing is i don't really have access to a printer (it's broke months ago and I've been printing at school since) so can i just do a separate section for graphs/diagrams OR can i just copy and paste from images?
Original post by jellyfish0207
For typing notes and adding diagrams/ tables, I find microsoft one note to be great, and you can also save notes by topic so your notes stay super organised. You could also always handwrite condensed versions of your notes or flashcards to help you learn the essentials if you have the time

is there a MacOS alternative? :redface:
Original post by homeland.lsw
hmmmm. ok. the thing is i don't really have access to a printer (it's broke months ago and I've been printing at school since) so can i just do a separate section for graphs/diagrams OR can i just copy and paste from images?

I never print my notes personally, I keep them in Google Docs so I can access them anywhere on my phone/tablet. Sometimes I can get images etc off the internet and paste them into my notes, alternatively I can scan any images/graphs that I can't find online into my computer and add them in that way :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
I never print my notes personally, I keep them in Google Docs so I can access them anywhere on my phone/tablet. Sometimes I can get images etc off the internet and paste them into my notes, alternatively I can scan any images/graphs that I can't find online into my computer and add them in that way :smile:

yh i can see why you would do that, but i'd like to have a physical copy in my binder too. thanks so much for the advice tho!
yh i can see why you would do that, but i'd like to have a physical copy in my binder too. thanks so much for the advice tho!

You're welcome! That's fair enough, I just don't like having to search through loads of sheets to find what I want :lol:
sure this has been asked like 247438 times BUT
long story short, my chem A level notes are a MESS literally. hess's law is mixed up with atomic structure and my binder is just a war zone.

i want to start a fresh and make nice neat clean concise notes. my question is should i type these up or hand write them? typing is obviously faster and easier, but what about diagrams and graphs? and is it true that if they're handwritten the content actually sticks in your mind?

:holmes:

Shameless blog plug but this is how I make mine if it'll help :colondollar:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4398652&page=3#post69331960
Original post by StrawbAri
Shameless blog plug but this is how I make mine if it'll help :colondollar:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4398652&page=3#post69331960

i saw them and that's legit how i would take notes but then i would end up losing all of them or getting them mixed up and it was just a pain in the A$$
is there a MacOS alternative? :redface:

I did a quick google search and it seems to be available on the apple site but I don't know any alternate programs that are designed for MacOS, sorry :smile:
i saw them and that's legit how i would take notes but then i would end up losing all of them or getting them mixed up and it was just a pain in the A$$

You could get one of those expanding folders that's got lots of sections in them and then organise your notes in there? :smile:
I personally have a special note book for each of my subjects so I don't get them mixed up.
Or you could use the notability app (an app for iPad/MacBooks) which I hear is super good for taking notes.

Quick Reply

Latest