The Student Room Group

Heart stitch?

Since a few years I have been getting this heart stitch once in a while [I don't do any intense exercise/sports, I don't do any!] .
To describe it: it happens sometimes when I try to breathe in. I feel this stitch and it stops me from breathing/coughing/bending etc.
This can last from 1 minute to 20 minutes.
I feel like I honestly cannot take deep breaths and do anything because I feel like something is going to break in my heart or something..

I did go to the doctor a couple of times and nothing. I had 2 heart checks and they said that everything seems to be okay (which I am honestly reluctant to believe)..

Have you guys had/have a problem like this? If you had/do, do you know what it is and why it happens, do you know how to prevent it from happening/ how to stop it from taking place?..

Thank you so much for taking your time to read this!
And I hope to hear back from you, if you know anything! :smile:
Reply 1
Is it possible that it is not your heart, but something else in your chest? Maybe heartburn or something like asthma?
I'd go back to see your doctor and ask them to look into it more. Maybe have a bit of a google of things like indegestion and lung/ breathing conditions too and see if you can think of any other symptoms or triggers.
This is something that you should keep pushing with. You shouldn't be having regular pains at a young age and if your doctor is dismissing it i'd try to see another one.
Original post by nataliasx
Since a few years I have been getting this heart stitch once in a while [I don't do any intense exercise/sports, I don't do any!] .
To describe it: it happens sometimes when I try to breathe in. I feel this stitch and it stops me from breathing/coughing/bending etc.
This can last from 1 minute to 20 minutes.
I feel like I honestly cannot take deep breaths and do anything because I feel like something is going to break in my heart or something..

I did go to the doctor a couple of times and nothing. I had 2 heart checks and they said that everything seems to be okay (which I am honestly reluctant to believe)..

Have you guys had/have a problem like this? If you had/do, do you know what it is and why it happens, do you know how to prevent it from happening/ how to stop it from taking place?..

Thank you so much for taking your time to read this!
And I hope to hear back from you, if you know anything! :smile:

I sometimes have it too but I am a very active person and eat healthy most of the time so i dont think it has anything to do with that.
I would also say that it is something other but your hear for example inspiration or expiration problems.
But I have one more question concerning this : Where is the pain most prominent ?
Is it similar to having a stitch like after sports or in a completely different area ?
Reply 3
Yeah, I'll try to go and see a different doctor. Thank you for the advice!:smile:
Reply 4
The pain is similar to the pain that you'd get after doing sports.
It's like a stitch but it isn't in my side, it's literally in my left side[left breast] where my heart is, or sometimes, but very rarely, I also get the same pain in my right side..:frown:
It's like a stitch but it isn't in my side, it's literally in my left side[left breast] where my heart is, or sometimes, but very rarely, I also get the same pain in my right side..:frown:

I would say that this is a problem of expiration and inspiration.
You could work on this by watching over your breathing when doing normal everyday things and not taking to short breaths or holding your breath too long.
In addition you could watch avoiding second hand smoke or anything of that kind

Hope this helps
Reply 6
Yes it did help, thank you very much! :smile:
Reply 7

There are more things than just your heart there. Your lungs are there, you've got veins and arteries, your pleurae are there, your spine is running through that area, you've got ribs - you could even have referred pain, and it's actually your stomach or back that's hurting!

So you can't just assume it is your heart just because it's in your left breast - your heart is actually kinda central anyway
Reply 8
Oh thank you very much for the knowledge. I shall research more about it.
If you have some problems with your heart and breathing you have firstly to consult your cardiologist and after neurologist. Because the reasons of your problem can be different.

Quick Reply

Latest