The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by antonioOoO
Hi, I have been considering the idea of studying a double degree in maths and physics, I've decided I'm definitely taking a part-time course in order to juggle with a CS BSc at a brick uni which is full time, I'd appreciate it a bunch if you gave me an insight on how things work and whether it is likely that I can cope with the workload by taking a part-time course. I already achieved good command of single-variable calculus, linear algebra and linear geometry, Having a look at the contents I think it might take me longer to grasp essential mathematics two but the first part is rather doable. How about the questions in science module? is it demanding? Thank you very much for your support, the truth is I really needed to get in touch with someone who is enrolled in that same course and it took me long to find him.

Cheers.

It might be possible but you will miss out on a balanced lifestyle and this can be vital at uni for doing stuff like life and work experience.
The OU pioneered distance learning at HE level.

Now though, there are lots of UK unis that offer this so it is worth shopping around.
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
The OU pioneered distance learning at HE level.

Now though, there are lots of UK unis that offer this so it is worth shopping around.

Agree the OU can still be good but like you said there are more part time/distance/online/mature learning options out there these days and some places are better for subjects than others or have other advantages (or cons). So it's best to think about what you want to study, what you want to do with the qualification i.e. what is end goal, what's going to give best experience in that field, be the best time/scheduling wise etc.
I did an IT and Computing first year and I had completely the opposite views.

The website is extremely well done and content is easy to find, the material is well written (apart from the networking part of TM129), I had a great experience with my tutors (apparently this can be a lottery depending on where you live).

Had no issues getting all the work done with time to spare and ended my first year with 120 credits over an 85% grade on all 3 level 1 modules.

Slight issue with the IT and Computing (there is no Computer Science degree), the programming and comp sci parts don't start until year 2 (apart from a small amount of sense/scratch activities), this makes switching to a brick uni at year 2 entry an impossibility due to the majority of Uni's starting a programming language on year 1.
Original post by loooopppyyy

Slight issue with the IT and Computing (there is no Computer Science degree), the programming and comp sci parts don't start until year 2 (apart from a small amount of sense/scratch activities), this makes switching to a brick uni at year 2 entry an impossibility due to the majority of Uni's starting a programming language on year 1.

I think a lot of the degree courses would be similar to that effect as there are no entry requirements for the OU so everyone is starting with the basics in level 1 which usually covers GCSE/A-level sort of level of difficulty before progressing. Whereas brick universities have set requirements so students starting there have already covered the 'basics' in appropriate subjects in order to get a place on that course so there is a lot more assumed knowledge and skills.
Original post by Compton Menace
This topic has sealed the deal and I wont be using the OU

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where have you decided to study instead? I am in two-minds about signing up, and the clock is ticking for me to decide. Forums like this are putting me off. I have also been messed about so far with the OU, and constantly been given the wrong advice on the phone.
Original post by laalNick
Agree the OU can still be good but like you said there are more part time/distance/online/mature learning options out there these days and some places are better for subjects than others or have other advantages (or cons). So it's best to think about what you want to study, what you want to do with the qualification i.e. what is end goal, what's going to give best experience in that field, be the best time/scheduling wise etc.

What are the other options? I have been looking at the University of London distance learning programme, but not many reviews for it online.
Original post by Excellence2000
What are the other options? I have been looking at the University of London distance learning programme, but not many reviews for it online.

In terms of future career prospects and/or future education, The Open University is hands down the best out of all the distance learning courses.

Employers look at it favourably (more so than brick unis occasionally) due to the self motivation it requires, also University admission tutors literally snap your hand off when you mention you're a TOU student.
Original post by loooopppyyy
In terms of future career prospects and/or future education, The Open University is hands down the best out of all the distance learning courses.

Employers look at it favourably (more so than brick unis occasionally) due to the self motivation it requires, also University admission tutors literally snap your hand off when you mention you're a TOU student.

Have you studied with them yourself? I am reading mixed reviews online, more negative ones to be honest.
Yes I did the first year of a BSc in Computing and IT last year, it was intense workload but the content overall was good apart from one section of the TM129 module.

Also the tutor support was really good, they have day time jobs so aren't reachable in the day, however if I emailed a question they would always get back to me on the night with helpful guidance.
Have you studied with them yourself? I am reading mixed reviews online, more negative ones to be honest.

Generally people with negative experiences shout louder so to speak. People tend to take the time to complain but not overly sing praises when it's gone well and finished.

Nothing is ever perfect but best to take some reviews with a pinch of salt as I've seen posts in the past where people have complained about an aspect but when you dig further they aren't completely blameless. Nothing is ever perfect but there is still an element of self responsibility.

As for other options. it all depends on what you want to study, how you want to study, where you want to study etc. The choices are limited compared to the choices of attending a brick university but they are a lot better than they were 10, 20 years ago.

I do agree with some of the people on the OU phone though. Sometimes it takes a while until you get to someone who speaks sense and understands.
(edited 7 years ago)
Where have you decided to study instead? I am in two-minds about signing up, and the clock is ticking for me to decide. Forums like this are putting me off. I have also been messed about so far with the OU, and constantly been given the wrong advice on the phone.

Well I dont really need a degree tbh, I work in IT technical support so its not really needed as you can get industry qualifications which are seen to be better than a degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks everyone for the feedback. :-)
The OU like all brick Uni's is not for everyone, they forgo the entry qualification to give everyone a chance, those that can do uni will come away with a degree, those that cant will be one of the number of dropouts.
The OU take over four weeks to process your funding after the course has started, even when the student loan company has agreed your funding. OU has to confirm with student loan company before you get any grants. It's a strange system not to get your grant until month 2 of when the course starts. I really don't understand this. I know brick universities pay it right at the start, there seems to be a huge disadvantage in getting funding authorised by OU.
Hi, I started my course at the beginning of this month, I started on the Diploma of higher education in health sciences however my modules are now counting towards BSc (Hons) Health Sciences, my experience of OU has been good. Everyone I have spoke to has been really friendly and made me feel 'welcome' (if a phone call can do this? I'm sure you know what I mean!) the only bad point I found was when I had a panic as nothing was sorted and I chose to defer then managed to sort everything before they had sorted this, I emailed them and the tutors hadn't bothered to read my email before starting to defer me. This was easily sorted by one quick and (surprisingly!) easy phone call explaining what had happened. I know I couldn't bare the 'brick uni' environment, so felt OU was suited to me perfectly. I do think it does totally depend on what course/modules you chose to do, as to what experience you will have. I deferred one module as my tutor was never replying to emails and I found out shortly after my emails I was pregnant, again the entire process was quick and easy. I'd personally say its worth a shot, if it isn't for you at least you've tried. It is hard, especially when at home you have so many distractions but if you're willing to work for it you'll get it. as someone has said above, the funding for OU is odd, as it is paid after the start date and you have to apply for part time funding even if you're doing full time study (I made that mistake the first time! I wont be making it a second time lol!)

Oh jeeze this is an essay on its own! Apologies! xx
I originally studied Law at Aberdeen University and after about ten years in the legal profession decided to make a change in career and enrolled with the Open University for doing a degree in my spare time. Having considered myself an amateur mechanic and DIY man, I tried my hand at Engineering (with Mathematics as a sub-subject of course) and I ended up quitting after a couple of months owing to the pathetic level of educational material in the Engineering course. I don't know if all degrees have become meaningless ******** but I expected the Engineering degree to be about, well, ENGINEERING! However, I found myself in a room full of ******s discussing what sort of vacuum cleaner an old woman should buy as opposed to the sort a young man should buy. That was the level of the debate. I'm not being a stuck up Solcitior with a degree from an ancient University when I say that's not an exercise worthy of a University. I know its only the start of the course, but its supposed to be University level difficulty from day one.

So, I stuck it out a while longer and discovered that the level of the course could actually fall further. We were told we would have a study on building a bridge in part 2. Hmmm...did we look at the physics involved in the balancing of such a structure? No. Perhaps we had a look at the nature of the materials used? No. What did we look at? The impact of building the bridge on the locality, health and safety implications and the burden on the environment. That's not engineering, its balls.

There was a smattering of what could be called Engineering, you know things like "equations" and "Chemical Symbols" and "scientific things", although I remember doing more advanced stuff at Standard Grade (O-Level) at school. I looked through the course materials for the entire first year, that was as hard as it got. A better example of a waste of time is hard to find.

Mathematics was, to be fair, a bit better but not much point in doing it when I don't like the Engineering course.

So I complained and got my "money back" in the form of credits which I had to use within one year.

So, a year on I started the Business Administration (Hons) course for the sake of it, I thought I may as well use up the credits. My god, TMA01 was the most brain dead **** I have ever seen in my life. One question, worth one fifth of the marks for the paper, was give two examples using NO MORE THAN 80 WORDS what a business could do to increase its profits. That's not University level material either. Brain dead, childish **** not worth a backhander. Oh, by the way I took 240 words and I got 0/10 for my answer because I exceeded the word limit. I told the tutor I wasn't happy and wanted to talk to him. Still waiting on a reply.

**** you Open Uni and **** you any other "higher education" establishment that exists for the sole purpose of making a **** out of people looking to better themselves. You waste years of their time for a few *****y grand. You don't fool anyone including employers who know that your degrees are ****. You are a money making con spitting out graduates like a battery farm spits out eggs. Gone are the old days when University education had any meaning to it, gone is the intellectualism, gone are the mind broadening exercises, gone is the job at the end of it, gone are the academics who loved to be challenged and in their place insecure tosses who can't be seen to be wrong for one moment, gone are the hands on exercises and in their place a raft of politically correct wishy-washy turd with such little parameters that the examiner can award you any grade they see fit and justify it afterwards.

Thanks to the Open Uni and most other higher educations institutions for undermining the value of the British degree, the thing that used to be the basis for social mobility of the British working class.

OPEN UNI - **** YOU!
Reply 37
I am currently studying an incorprated Masters in Engineering, it started really well and the first two modules passed without issue. Then last year I had two major surgeries and in the end was forced to defer both modules, the OU then sent me an email stating that I was now placed on a list meaning if I defer or fail any other module I would no longer be allowed to study at the OU.
So I started the next presentation and after a couple of months ran into an issue that required my tutors help, emailed twice without reply. I then contacted the Student Support Team on 16th December (sent twice) and as of today I have still not had a reply. For me now the OU offers poor value for money and seriously needs to either hire staff or train the ones they have, for this price they really do need to do better.
A soured experience....
Thanks for all the people who shared their experiences Im going to avoid OU

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Got Milk
Thanks for all the people who shared their experiences Im going to avoid OU

Posted from TSR Mobile

How come? Has something in this thread put you off? If so, perhaps it would be a good idea to check the post's accuracy before making a decision about the OU.

Latest

Trending

Trending