The Student Room Group

How much does it cost for a meal on average in the UK?

I am going to the UK to study soon. How much does it cost for a meal on average? Thanks!
Original post by Molimolimolly
I am going to the UK to study soon. How much does it cost for a meal on average? Thanks!

Depends where and what meal.
A meal out or a homecooked meal? You can get a cheap meal out in a pub or something from around £5-6 but if you go to a proper restaurant you'll spend £10-15 (for one course + a drink). If you want to cook at home you can make a meal for £1 or less if you're happy with something simple like pasta + sauce or you can spend £1-3 if you want meat etc. For a weekly shopping budget you probably want £25.
A semi decent meal will cost you about £12 - £20 assuming you're not eating at a fast food place.

If you don't care where you eat then you can get a "meal" for about £5.
Original post by AishaGirl
A semi decent meal will cost you about £12 - £20 assuming you're not eating at a fast food place.

If you don't care where you eat then you can get a "meal" for about £5.

How about cooking for yourself?

You could get it down to about 30p per meal if you're smart.
At the refectories on campus you will be able to get lunch for £3-£4 and dinner for £4-£5.
Pieces of string, how long are they in the UK?

If you cook for yourself, you can eat well very cheaply. If you go out for meals, you can pay HOW MUCH?!?, especially if alcohol is involved, or under £10.

Have you looked for the websites of places near where you are considering living?
Original post by doodle_333
A meal out or a homecooked meal? You can get a cheap meal out in a pub or something from around £5-6 but if you go to a proper restaurant you'll spend £10-15 (for one course + a drink). If you want to cook at home you can make a meal for £1 or less if you're happy with something simple like pasta + sauce or you can spend £1-3 if you want meat etc. For a weekly shopping budget you probably want £25.

so if i cook by myself and want to eat healthy with sufficient nutrients, would £5 be enough?

Well this really depends, a packet of noodles will cost you £0.50 but spaghetti bolognese will cost you a few quid.

An average meal cooked at home for 1 person will probably cost you £3 but it's really too hard to say.
so if i cook by myself and want to eat healthy with sufficient nutrients, would £5 be enough?

Yes it will be enough but it will be cheaper if you buy a weeks worth of food rather than just buying food daily.
wings and dat
It depends on your tastes and the quality of your diet. I quickly got sick of living on crap and craved fresh food and good meals. I found the wisest thing to do to save money was to plan my meals in a way that meant my ingredients spread beyond just one day's food. :smile:

I'd buy pre-prepared fresh veg for 50p-£1 and use half one day in one meal and use the other half in a different type of dish the following day. Or for some things (e.g. stir fry), shops will sell pre-mixed bags of vegetables for this sort of meal so you don't need to waste money buying them all individually.

Meals like spaghetti bolognese and chicken madras I'd make up four portions at once (from one pack of mince/two chicken fillets) and freeze the other three in small tubs. I'd buy sauces pre-made and one jar would do for four of these servings. If they had deals on fresh meat I'd pick up multiple packs and freeze the rest for later use. A pack of 12 meatballs easily did me 3-4 servings, and a tub of sauce usually £1 would last two of those. etc.

I'm sure by now you can imagine that my tiny half-shelf of a space in freezer was pretty creatively packed. Taking things out of their store containers (e.g. fresh chicken; boxed frozen items) and re-packaging them in sandwich bags definitely helped. :tongue:
I a student and I make do with £1.00-1.50 per meal.

If you are cooking for yourself, then £5 would be more than enough. Obviously it depends what you eat, but over the week then foodwise as a student you could do £5 a day,, so your suggestion of £10 a day you could eat pretty well.
Original post by sinfonietta
It depends on your tastes and the quality of your diet. I quickly got sick of living on crap and craved fresh food and good meals. I found the wisest thing to do to save money was to plan my meals in a way that meant my ingredients spread beyond just one day's food. :smile:

I'd buy pre-prepared fresh veg for 50p-£1 and use half one day in one meal and use the other half in a different type of dish the following day. Or for some things (e.g. stir fry), shops will sell pre-mixed bags of vegetables for this sort of meal so you don't need to waste money buying them all individually.

Meals like spaghetti bolognese and chicken madras I'd make up four portions at once (from one pack of mince/two chicken fillets) and freeze the other three in small tubs. I'd buy sauces pre-made and one jar would do for four of these servings. If they had deals on fresh meat I'd pick up multiple packs and freeze the rest for later use. A pack of 12 meatballs easily did me 3-4 servings, and a tub of sauce usually £1 would last two of those. etc.

I'm sure by now you can imagine that my tiny half-shelf of a space in freezer was pretty creatively packed. Taking things out of their store containers (e.g. fresh chicken; boxed frozen items) and re-packaging them in sandwich bags definitely helped. :tongue:

Thanks very much for sharing :smile:!
Reply 16
It all depends, anywhere from £1-5 for a decent meal, ofc it'll be more if you want something more decent. When you move in sign up to something like Ocado who have offers like £20 off and stack up on stuff

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending