The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York sliding down rankings?

Little concerned as I've received an offer from York. When my sister went there in 2011, it was considered a top 10 University. However, it's since dropped to 20th place in the rankings, which is very concerning. Whereas places like Manchester and Leeds are moving up year by year. Why is York dropping so quickly and should I look elsewhere? Advice wanted. Thanks.
league tables really don't mean much as they have very dodgy methods/metrics - unis just pick the ones that show them in the best light to focus on - it's no less of a good uni than it was then

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of York
York
Original post by Voi
Little concerned as I've received an offer from York. When my sister went there in 2011, it was considered a top 10 University. However, it's since dropped to 20th place in the rankings, which is very concerning. Whereas places like Manchester and Leeds are moving up year by year. Why is York dropping so quickly and should I look elsewhere? Advice wanted. Thanks.

I really doubt it's changed
Reply 3
Reply 4
Original post by Voi

Rankings has little significance on how well a course is at uni. If you see ranking history for all unis, you'll notice their position fluctuate every year. If you like the course, the uni and location go for it. Believe me, no-one gives a toss about rankings after you graduate.
Completely agree about the general unreliability of rankings. I only find them useful for looking at individual metrics (like satisfaction with teaching) and trying to find out how they arrived at the figure.

International rankings are particularly useless in my opinion. How on earth are you supposed to find a common measurement to compare the relative merits of, say, LSE and a science-focused institution in China? It's ridiculous!

I lost all faith in global rankings when virtually all UK unis plummeted after the Brexit vote. Nothing had changed at the unis themselves, yet suddenly they were supposed to be "worse"! It really made me realise that global rankings are pretty much opinion polls.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending