The Student Room Group

I want to medicine but I don't want to do a Chemistry A-Level...

I'm in year 11 at the moment and I'm predicted an A* in 9 subjects including Biology and Physics and an A in two others including chemistry, and I'm choosing A-levels next month. I really want to do a medicine degree, however, i don't really think I'm good enough at chemistry to get an A or A* at A-level and to be honest I don't really enjoy it. Therefore, if I took Physics, Biology and Maths (and theatre) at A-Level and got strong grades are there any Unis that would accept me for medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ko.27
I'm in year 11 at the moment and I'm predicted an A* in 9 subjects including Biology and Physics and an A in two others including chemistry, and I'm choosing A-levels next month. I really want to do a medicine degree, however, i don't really think I'm good enough at chemistry to get an A or A* at A-level and to be honest I don't really enjoy it. Therefore, if I took Physics, Biology and Maths (and theatre) at A-Level and got strong grades are there any Unis that would accept me for medicine?

Excuse the missing "do" in the title of the thread:laugh:
Original post by ko.27

I think only Newcastle doesn't require it.

It's too limited. You could wait until results day and see what grade you get for chemistry. Most colleges would let you change your choices on enrollment day.

If you hate chemistry but want to do medicine I don't think you can do anything more than just bear with it for two years. :redface:
Maybe Medicine isnt the right career path for you. Consider other choices.
Original post by ko.27

Have a look at http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/MSC-Entry-requirements-for-UK-medical-schools.pdf

Are there any medical schools which don't require A-level chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
There are currently four unis which don't require A-level chemistry for medicine: Newcastle, East Anglia, Bart's and the London, and Keele- so it is possible to do and shouldn't disadvantage you in the number of choices. However it is limiting as playing to your strengths is pretty vital to getting med school offers: you'd need to ace UKCAT for Newcastle, have a good UCAS tariff for Bart's, and have strong volunteering for Keele.
Many med schools allow Chemistry to be dropped after AS-level though, so perhaps take AS chemistry to widen your options?
Original post by ko.27

it's inevitable that you'll end up doing biochemistry in the degree anyway, so even parts of the degree itself may be a pain in the ass.

There are universities that don't require it, but you'd end up being EXTREMELY limited in where you can go, whether you could do an intercalated degree etc. if your UKCAT happens to go wrong, that would be the end of medicine for that year, basically.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
it's inevitable that you'll end up doing biochemistry in the degree anyway, so even parts of the degree itself may be a pain in the ass.

There are universities that don't require it, but you'd end up being EXTREMELY limited in where you can go, whether you could do an intercalated degree etc. if your UKCAT happens to go wrong, that would be the end of medicine for that year, basically.

I've heard from quite a few medical students that there isn't much chemistry at all in the degree.
Original post by Cherub012
I've heard from quite a few medical students that there isn't much chemistry at all in the degree.

Biochemistry*
Biochemistry*

I don't know how much of that there is in the degree but from speaking to medics, I don't think a passion for chemistry is needed for medicine.
I don't know how much of that there is in the degree but from speaking to medics, I don't think a passion for chemistry is needed for medicine.

Why would it be required for so many courses?
The majority of chemistry is maths. I really advise you to do it or you will find it extremely difficult when you apply for medicine when you try to apply to your strengths.
Reply 12
Original post by Estalrine
There are currently four unis which don't require A-level chemistry for medicine: Newcastle, East Anglia, Bart's and the London, and Keele- so it is possible to do and shouldn't disadvantage you in the number of choices. However it is limiting as playing to your strengths is pretty vital to getting med school offers: you'd need to ace UKCAT for Newcastle, have a good UCAS tariff for Bart's, and have strong volunteering for Keele.
Many med schools allow Chemistry to be dropped after AS-level though, so perhaps take AS chemistry to widen your options?

I guess I could do AS chemistry but doing five subjects in year 12 is really daunting in terms of workload... I suppose if i did A2 Biology, maths and theatre but AS chemistry that could work. Thanks for the info :smile:

Which courses?

It's just an entry requirement - it has no relevance to the course or working as a doctor.
Reply 15

I've spoken to a few people who've said a passion for raw chemistry is not needed but basics for biochemistry will be needed - but it's a blurred line... PS, liking the name :smile:
Which courses?

So many medicine courses I mean.

It probably depends on the university, I'd wager the Oxbridge courses and the more lecture based universities probably delve into it more. A quick search on google shows that equilibrium, thermodynamics, isomerism, half life calculations, nomenclature are all topics in various medical degrees.

I'd recommended at least AS. If people truly belive it isn't required, they wouldn't take it to A2, as it isn't required for most places.
Theatre is a weak subject which medical schools would look down upon- I wouldn't recommend it as you are going up against the best, unless you are sure to get an A/A* (i heard stuff like drama/theatre studies are difficult to get high grades in). If you want, I think you should just do Biology Chemistry and Theatre studies, and not do a fourth subject, as it is no longer required. It will decrease the workload.

It probably depends on the university, I'd wager the Oxbridge courses and the more lecture based universities probably delve into it more. A quick search on google shows that equilibrium, thermodynamics, isomerism, half life calculations, nomenclature are all topics in various medical degrees.

Ah, Google. That super specific and not at all misleading fount of all knowledge...

PS: you lost your wager.
Reply 19
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Maybe Medicine isnt the right career path for you. Consider other choices.

My logic for doing a medicine degree is that it can lead to so many more possibilities compared to, say, an PhD in some field of biology which I'd be able to do no problem but I'd end up being stuck doing post-doctorate research at an institution for the rest of my life. So instead of spending 7 years on the PhD, the time would be better spent on a medicine degree as I could do so much more with it.

Latest

Trending

Trending