The Student Room Group

How is everyone finding the new 9-1 Maths GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Misaki24
thats sickkkkkk! where do u revise from i need to go from 4 to 6 in three months! :afraid:

lool im going from a 5 to a 9! !
Original post by B_9710
No one has ever been allowed anthologies or books in the exam though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a clean copy of the poetry anthology was provided to candidates within exams, under the provisions of the old specification. I'm not sure about other texts.
Original post by CraigBackner
lool im going from a 5 to a 9! !

How do you do it?
Original post by Misaki24
How do you do it?

it's simple: I identify the areas/ topics that I need to improve, eg circle theorems or making too many mistakes. Then I would work on them to improve, for example watching a youtube vid on a topic. Simultaneously, I will improve my problem solving ability by reading books,blogs and understanding the underlying concept/question. And mostly importantly I will do loads of practice!
Original post by CraigBackner
it's simple: I identify the areas/ topics that I need to improve, eg circle theorems or making too many mistakes. Then I would work on them to improve, for example watching a youtube vid on a topic. Simultaneously, I will improve my problem solving ability by reading books,blogs and understanding the underlying concept/question. And mostly importantly I will do loads of practice!

thank u
In my school thats usually an 8
i was honestly finding maths easy and ok (which is a shock since I've always hated maths) when i learnt the first syllabus BUT when they started teaching the new syllabus with the new extra topics thats where my grades started to fall apart. I used to get level 7's in my exams and now i'm getting level 5's and 4's....
gcse maths is sooo easy
Original post by Houthi8
gcse maths is sooo easy

Luckily for you, the ones who think that are in the minority. :P
I'm exactly the same! With the old GCSE, I should have got an A and could probably have got an A*, whereas with this new one... well, it's not going well! My first new maths mock I did okay (55/80), but the last one that we did went absolutely terribly and I only got 43/80! :/ So I'm kinda freaking out rn because that is NOT a good result, and there's no way Oxbridge will even look at my application if I end up with a 5 in maths!
Original post by AliceV_647
I'm exactly the same! With the old GCSE, I should have got an A and could probably have got an A*, whereas with this new one... well, it's not going well! My first new maths mock I did okay (55/80), but the last one that we did went absolutely terribly and I only got 43/80! :/ So I'm kinda freaking out rn because that is NOT a good result, and there's no way Oxbridge will even look at my application if I end up with a 5 in maths!

43/80 would be at least a 6, and 55/80 would be at least a 7 (unlikely to be a 6). (if you take old spec grade boundaries)
Original post by _gcx
Luckily for you, the ones who think that are in the minority. :P

use a website called exam solutions. thank me later.
I'm in Y10 and have a past paper coming up in the next month (before any mocks) and i actually cant wait to get a rough idea of where i'm at! Slightly worried about this new spec as well though. Hope i get a 5.
The highest mark I have gotten on the higher paper is 20 everyone is pushing for me to do higher but I do they know how to revise for it or get any better any tips
Interesting report from Ofqual https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/gcse-maths-understanding-schools-approaches-to-tiering suggesting that schools are making significant changes to their split of entries between foundation tier and higher tier this year.
Original post by harrizzz_
I'm in Y10 and have a past paper coming up in the next month (before any mocks) and i actually cant wait to get a rough idea of where i'm at! Slightly worried about this new spec as well though. Hope i get a 5.

Best revision source by a mile is www.mathsgenie.co.uk
Reply 136
from my perspective i find it quite easy
Original post by CoffeeGeek
I just did lots of practice, did past papers, textbook questions - just practice! If you misunderstand anything, watch videos and maybe read over any notes you made in class or a revision guide.

Dude, major help if you could tell me which textbook you are using please and which past papers? And what exam board are you sitting for maths.
I have got march mocks in less than a month
Original post by shivamisalegend
Dude, major help if you could tell me which textbook you are using please and which past papers? And what exam board are you sitting for maths.
I have got march mocks in less than a month

I'm on Edexcel. I use CGP and Edexcel revision guides and workbooks. I also use mathsbot.com to practice things and they generate papers for you to complete. There's also specimen papers for 9-1 on Edexcel and you can find past papers on their site which can still be used for practice.

Good luck in your mocks! :smile:
Original post by CoffeeGeek
I'm on Edexcel. I use CGP and Edexcel revision guides and workbooks. I also use mathsbot.com to practice things and they generate papers for you to complete. There's also specimen papers for 9-1 on Edexcel and you can find past papers on their site which can still be used for practice.

Good luck in your mocks! :smile:

Thank you so much! 😀 Do you have the cgp textbook for igcse and gcse?

Quick Reply

Latest