The Student Room Group

Any mature students on here who have gone back to study A-levels??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Philip-flop
15 exams?!! Why so many? Are you a mature student as well?

He probably means units?

Like 3 a-levels with 6 units each is like 18 exams
15 exams?!! Why so many? Are you a mature student as well?

I am. Because 2018 is the last year to sit legacy maths A-level.

Original post by GettingIntoSpace
He probably means units?

That rule would apply to legacy A-levels, but not the new linear A-levels.
Original post by Student1914
I am. Because 2018 is the last year to sit legacy maths A-level.

Oh I see! How old are you btw?

Original post by GettingIntoSpace
He probably means units?

Yeah that would only hold true if someone was to sit all three Maths subjects (Maths, Further Maths, etc) in one year!!! So highly unlikely!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh I see! How old are you btw?

27. I get told I look 19 several times. A bus driver sold me a ticket for under 16 years old last year :wink:.
Reply 304
20 year old here, gone part time at my job. Spending 20+ hours a week studying for A-level exams.
Exams I'll be sitting in 2018:
Full A-level Maths (6 exams)
AS Further Maths (3 exams)
AS Physics new specification (2 exams I think?)
and AS Economics new specification (I think it's just 1 exam)

I'm completely self-teaching Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I wont be sitting the Physics practical just because It's not necessary for the courses I'm looking to further progress to at university.
For Economics I've got with a distance learning provider. They're called NEC, feel free to look them up. They just provide a learning structure of the syllabus and a 'tutor' who's there if I need help, also they provide & mark past papers you do, and discuss where you need to improve.

The reason I've gone with a learning provider for Economics and not fully self-taught is because It's a heavily essay-based subject. It's one of them subjects where you could know the syllabus perfectly, but if you don't structure your answer correctly in the exam then you wont get the marks. This isn't an issue with Physics and Maths.

Cheers and good luck to you all with your studies :smile: Age is just a number, if you want something bad enough you'll achieve it.
Original post by Student1914
I'm not currently feeling that type of anxiety as of yet, but next year I'll likely will. Since I'll be sitting 15 exams next year.

You could make the group and invite us all. I can make one as well.

Sounds cool!

I'm not so good with internet stuff but I would love to join if any of you made one!
Just let me know :smile:
Reply 306
I'd be interested in a FB group specially for mature students who are self studying / returning to education, whether that is through a distance learning provider, open university or going it alone. I'm 23 (going on 24) and am hoping to get into Vet Med. I'm planning on self studying for A Level Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths, as well as taking a few GCSE's. This will be my first time undertaking A Levels. I really could use all the support I can get! As a mature student I often feel that I am far too behind to catch up with the young ones 😳

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 307
I'll also add that anyone here self-teaching themselves A-level Maths, I made a thread not so long ago with a list of some resources you can use, feel free to check it out: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4599158
Original post by mvictor
I'd be interested in a FB group specially for mature students who are self studying / returning to education, whether that is through a distance learning provider, open university or going it alone. I'm 23 (going on 24) and am hoping to get into Vet Med. I'm planning on self studying for A Level Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths, as well as taking a few GCSE's. This will be my first time undertaking A Levels. I really could use all the support I can get! As a mature student I often feel that I am far too behind to catch up with the young ones 😳

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's amazing! Good luck if you go ahead with the self-studying! But, I would not recommend taking a few GCSEs whilst studying 4 A-levels as you will have way too much work to prioritise just from the A-levels alone!
Original post by zn1
I'll also add that anyone here self-teaching themselves A-level Maths, I made a thread not so long ago with a list of some resources you can use, feel free to check it out: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4599158

Awesome thread!! :smile:
How's the studying going everyone? :smile:
Hmm, I'm guessing all the mature students are too busy studying :tongue:
Hmm, I'm guessing all the mature students are too busy studying :tongue:

I'm frantically trying to finish off the content for each subject before the Easter break - (C2 for maths as I've finished C1 and S1, 2 more modules for psychology and 1 subtopic for biology). I'm 23 but I'm enrolled in a college as a student so I'm doing AS exams this summer and full a-levels next year. Maths is the legacy spec and psychology and biology are the new spec. My college are so slow and still haven't finished teaching all the content so I'm doing it myself in my spare time.

I'm really worried about Biology specifically as there's so much content! I don't like the style of the new spec and I don't have much exam style questions to practice exam technique. ☹️
Original post by tripplea
I'm frantically trying to finish off the content for each subject before the Easter break - (C2 for maths as I've finished C1 and S1, 2 more modules for psychology and 1 subtopic for biology). I'm 23 but I'm enrolled in a college as a student so I'm doing AS exams this summer and full a-levels next year. Maths is the legacy spec and psychology and biology are the new spec. My college are so slow and still haven't finished teaching all the content so I'm doing it myself in my spare time.

I'm really worried about Biology specifically as there's so much content! I don't like the style of the new spec and I don't have much exam style questions to practice exam technique. ☹️

Nice one! I was 23 when I started studying the A-levels I'm doing (Maths Biology) but I'm self-taught so had to learn everything in my spare time! Since you are doing the new linear A-levels for Biology and Psychology then the grades you get at AS won't count towards anything but your Maths AS grades will! So mainly focus on acing those exams!

As for the content for Biology just make sure you have notes for every topic as these will need to be spot on for when you study A2. As I'm sure you're already aware, you will need to know all of the AS content as well as the A2 content for your exams next year! Just make sure you know the content for when you go into your second year cos you will be bombarded with even more difficult processes and you'll need to know parts from AS pretty well!

Hope I could help :smile:
Nice one! I was 23 when I started studying the A-levels I'm doing (Maths Biology) but I'm self-taught so had to learn everything in my spare time! Since you are doing the new linear A-levels for Biology and Psychology then the grades you get at AS won't count towards anything but your Maths AS grades will! So mainly focus on acing those exams!

As for the content for Biology just make sure you have notes for every topic as these will need to be spot on for when you study A2. As I'm sure you're already aware, you will need to know all of the AS content as well as the A2 content for your exams next year! Just make sure you know the content for when you go into your second year cos you will be bombarded with even more difficult processes and you'll need to know parts from AS pretty well!

Hope I could help :smile:

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who stared their first year Alevels at 23 year old! Yes I'm mainly focusing on Maths because it counts for 50% whereas the grades for biology and psychology won't count towards the final A-level as you've correctly identified.

Thanks for the advice regarding biology - I just didn't realise how detailed and in depth the content is compared to GCSEs. I'll definitely make sure that I revise over the topics even after I've sat the exams!

How are your studies going?
Reply 315
I went out and bought the notepads I need to get started :biggrin: I officially start self studying A Levels on Monday. I'm amazed at how focused I am now that I'm an adult. I tried self studying when I was a teenager and I couldn't get it together.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tripplea
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who stared their first year Alevels at 23 year old! Yes I'm mainly focusing on Maths because it counts for 50% whereas the grades for biology and psychology won't count towards the final A-level as you've correctly identified.

Thanks for the advice regarding biology - I just didn't realise how detailed and in depth the content is compared to GCSEs. I'll definitely make sure that I revise over the topics even after I've sat the exams!

How are your studies going?

No worries, I'm always happy to help so feel free to ask! But I may be "off-radar" from TSR during exam period as I will have lot of things to be worrying about :frown:

Besides being super stressed out and being completely overwhelmed by the content for A-level Biology, studying is going well :tongue: I've just got to make sure I stay motivated up until the actual exams and get lots of exam practice!

Original post by mvictor
I went out and bought the notepads I need to get started :biggrin: I officially start self studying A Levels on Monday. I'm amazed at how focused I am now that I'm an adult. I tried self studying when I was a teenager and I couldn't get it together.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fantastic! With a year and a couple of months for you to start studying for your full A-levels you should be able to cover all the content in no time! Just make sure you go over what you've learnt from time-to-time so you don't end up having to relearn things! That's so good that you are more motivated than ever! Make sure you stay that way, and if things get difficult pick yourself back up again!
I'm amazed by how many mature students there are on this thread who are studying A-levels! Stick at it everyone! :smile:
I'm 22 and hoping to study English Literature, History, Maths (home studying now), and Biology or Physics (probably biology) at A-Level next year once my life is a bit more stable. As it's been such a long time since GCSE I am a little worried about having forgotten most of the basic science stuff and am considering taking a science GCSE course first or a refresher of sorts... anyone have experiences of this ?
Original post by squidsarestrange
I'm 22 and hoping to study English Literature, History, Maths (home studying now), and Biology or Physics (probably biology) at A-Level next year once my life is a bit more stable. As it's been such a long time since GCSE I am a little worried about having forgotten most of the basic science stuff and am considering taking a science GCSE course first or a refresher of sorts... anyone have experiences of this ?

Why 4 A levels? It seems like you might be overdoing it a bit. If it's for university entry or improved job prospects, you won't need that many. If it's for your own interest, You'll probably get more out of it by concentrating on two at a time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending