The Student Room Group

The Final Weeks

Hey guys!

I found that reading other people's Study Logs was really helpful so I thought to myself, why not make one of my own to motivate me? Feel free to drop a line and we can all motivate each other through the final weeks (days!) of Year 13.

Background information:
> Next year I plan to study English & Creative Writing at the University of Birmingham [entry: AAA].
> Although my offer is unconditional, I still plan to work just as hard, since I'll have the grades on my CV for the rest of my life anyway.
> GCSE grades: 2 A*s, 8 As, and Level 2 Stats (pass).
> UCAS predictions: AAAA (and A for EPQ)
> I like to aim high, hence the reason for such high personal target grades. Shoot for the sky, if you miss, you might hit the moon (or something).
> Extra commitments: a Saturday job, writing, blogging.

UCAS
> UEA // Unconditional or conditional AAA (or AAB with B in EPQ). Had to submit a portfolio.
> Warwick // Conditional A*AB or AAA. Had to submit a portfolio and interview questions online about the creative writing side of the course.
> Nottingham // Unconditional (or conditional AAA).
> Birmingham // Unconditional (or conditional AAA). Took the longest to reply, but they were my #1 since the beginning!
> Surrey // Conditional ABB. Gave me an offer within a few hours!

Subjects // Personal Target Grade // March 2017 Mock Results
English Literature // A* // A (So gutted that I messed up the Hamlet question - I based my entire essay on the belief that Hamlet was the only one who saw the ghost!)
English Language // A* // B (I definitely need to work on this one! I actually did better in Year 12; I got an A!)
Sociology // A* // A (I'm a little divided on this one, since the modules were A*, A, and B. I got the highest mark on the hardest paper, and the lowest on what I thought was the easiest).
RS: Philosophy & Ethics // A* // A (Very pleased with this one! Usually I do really well in one paper and completely flop the other one - fortunately on both papers I only just scored an A. Surprisingly I got higher marks in Ethics!).

Actual Results
EPQ // A (I'm very glad I did this in Year 12 rather than Year 13, it's an extra workload that really does build up on you. While I really wanted an A*, I'm happy with the end result and I'm glad to focus my attention fully on my A Levels.)
AS OCR RS: Philosophy & Ethics // A (The only one of my subjects that was an AS as well as A2, since the rest of my subjects are only offered as linear courses under the new specification at my school).

Revision
I'm going to be dividing up the remaining time by doing practise papers, notes, and making sure that I know the content of my courses inside out, so that I can perfect my exam technique. I'm very lazy when it comes to revision, so hopefully this Study Log will help me to become more accountable and motivate me to go off on study!

Best of luck everyone!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Update 29/03/17

After a couple of stressful days where I procrastinated and felt deliriously overwhelmed with the amount of work I have to do, I got right stick in today with getting some work done. I hope this week has been more successful for you! I have decided to spend a smaller chunked amount of revision on every subject each day, rather than spending time on my subjects disproportionately.

TO DO LIST TODAY:
> Finish all of my English Language coursework and send off! (Creative writing piece and investigation.) -- done
> Plan for a 35 Philosophy question tomorrow; the topic is on William James and Religious Experience. -- done

LIT: I started a massive document where I am going through my notes and organising the key quotes for Hamlet, which is my weakest paper at the moment.
CURRENT FOCUS: Re-read Hamlet, and add the key moments into the doc (with analysis) as I go along.

LANG: I completely failed my paper two, therefore I plan to redo it over the Easter holidays. Now that my coursework is all done with, I can focus on fully revising the content and my exam technique.

SOCIOLOGY: I decided to come into school over the Easter holidays to resit paper three (Crime and Deviance) which I scored the lowest in (63% compared to 85% on paper two). I'll hopefully be getting my papers back on Friday so I can then look at which specific topics I did the worst in for that paper.
CURRENT FOCUS: Start writing up my notes for the Research and Methods section. Also, revise for a test on this on Friday.

RS: My most confident subject at the moment, since it's largely content and application based.
TO DO: Finish my A3 notes for Environmental Ethics from the reader; I have about three pages left to do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Update 30/03/17

I got my report today which has been really encouraging, despite how I didn't do as well as I wanted to in my mocks (AAAB - a very low B). My teachers have predicted me AAAA. With some work on English Language I should hopefully be able to achieve (and maybe even excel) these grades!

I have quite a few admin-based and organisational things I need to sort out today, and I also need to clear up all my desk which currently resembles a minefield.
(edited 7 years ago)
What are the ways you revise the content?
Original post by Niyi Aderounmu
What are the ways you revise the content?

Hey, thanks for commenting! It depends on the subject, but since a lot of mine are heavily content-based and they are all essay subjects, I mostly get by with making a load of concise mind maps and posters on massive sheets of A3 paper. A lot of my notes from Year 12 are full of waffle and I'm trying to cut them back down to work out what I actually need for the exam. For studies (particularly for sociology) flash cards are great!

Hope this helps!
Update 03/04/17

After a weekend full of procrastination, it's time to get stuck into revision today!

SOCIOLOGY:
> I made more concise notes for Crime & Deviance: Ethnicity.
Key studies
- Skolnick's (1996) suggestion of a Canteen Culture within the police force, characterised by determining suspects as troublemakers or law-abiding citizen; social solidarity and social isolation/exclusion (creating a them vs us outlook); and more conservative views - which underline with Right Realist theories such as Murray's Underclass theory - placing blame on the victim and offender, which are often Black or working-class.
- Graef (1989) - police culture has working-class masculine values and seek to assert them, linking to Miller's idea of Focal Concerns; they gain status through displaying toughness and authority.
- Hall et al. (1978) - Neo-Marxist study of 1970s moral panic of Black youths and "mugging", criminalised Black male youths as a scapegoat due to capitalism being in crisis as Marx predicted (economic recession, unemployment and violence). This labelling allowed a greater state dependence and control with increased policing and stopping-and-searching. The moral panic was largely enforced by the media and the police, and the labelling caused a deviance amplification.
- Lea & Young, Left Realism link - since young Black males are more likely to be unemployed than other ethnic minorities, they are more likely to suffer relative deprivation which can cause them to turn to crime. They are also more likely to be marginalised due to this, as well as turn create non-conformist subcultures in gangs.

RS
> Notes on Religious Experience: Kant, Suzuki, Marx & Freud.

ENGLISH LIT
> A3 poster notes on context for Romantic poets: Shelley, Coleridge,
> Some poetry notes: Rime of the Ancient Mariner
> Context and analysis notes: A Streetcar Named Desire, Hamlet

ENGLISH LANGUAGE
> Didn't do much today since I've been working on my Investigation (coursework) all week. Now that that's all done, I've put it all under my bed in a folder and have found some notes for paper two.

Today was more productive than I expected it would be, and I'm glad I got stuck in rather than procrastinating for another week. Hope you guys were just as productive!
(edited 7 years ago)
Update 04/04/17

I have work today, so I'll try and squeeze in as much revision as I can around my shift - but here it goes! Best of luck everyone!

Notes:
> Today I'm listening to Huron - The Night We Met, from the 13 Reasons Why soundtrack! A great show, I'd definitely recommend it! Sometimes listening to soft or classical music really helps me to focus when I'm revising.
> My first actual exam is Sociology on Thursday 8th June. How scary is that? And my last exam is on my birthday, the 29th. A three week exam period, and then it's all over. I can't tell you how hyped I am for university, and to finish my A-Levels. Now is more a struggle of motivation than anything else. We can do it, my anonymous reader! We can do it!

ENGLISH LIT
> Unfortunately, didn't do anything for lit today.

ENGLISH LANG
> Summarised notes for studies within Children's Language Acquisition (Paper One, Part Two); Clarke-Stewart (1973) about the different interaction-based development of children from different ethnic groups; Halliday's Taxonomy categorises 7 key component that show development in language acquisition which places focus on creativity in the Imaginative and Heuristic stages.

SOCIOLOGY
> [Crime and Deviance] Notes: Illegal logging case study [online]
> [Culture and Identity] Notes: Scott (1969) - blind man made blind by society and criticised for not asking for help, applies to learned helplessness in disability and potentially age. Parsons nuclear family model portrays how the division of gender helps specify appropriate roles to maximise society's efficiency.

RS
> A poster sheet about Otto and numinous religious experiences.
(edited 7 years ago)
Update 05/04/17

Honestly, I've been feeling incredibly lazy and procrastinated for the early part of the day. However, I got plenty more done in the evening! Hope you guys have been more successful today.

Notes
> I set up a folder full of past papers, essays and exemplar answers which I will look through in more depth at a later time. It's just a great way to separate my exam things from my notes in an effort to be more organised.
> I need to register for Student Finance.
> Watched a new TV show called Westworld - it's brilliant, totally recommended. It's like The Matrix and Humans but better, and I believe the same company produced Game of Thrones.

ENGLISH LANG
> Poster on language theories, specifically on theories and terminology relating to Children's Language Acquisition in Paper 1, Part B.

ENGLISH LIT
[Romantic poetry] Poetry analysis: 'The Sick Rose' by William Blake.
> I finally decided on my essay comparison question for a homework task, which I will work my way through doing.
> Context notes: Shelley, Keats, Bronte, Byron's 'Fare Thee Well' and 'So We'll Go No More a Roving', and Romanticism generally.
[Streetcar Named Desire] Context notes on Plastic Theatre and Williams.

RS
[Sexual Ethics] Notes on issues regarding sexuality and contraception.

SOCIOLOGY
> Watched a Big Questions debate about grammar schools and attainment. Love that show.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by blackrosedrop
Update 29/03/17

After a couple of stressful days where I procrastinated and felt deliriously overwhelmed with the amount of work I have to do, I got right stick in today with getting some work done. I hope this week has been more successful for you! I have decided to spend a smaller chunked amount of revision on every subject each day, rather than spending time on my subjects disproportionately.

TO DO LIST TODAY:
> Finish all of my English Language coursework and send off! (Creative writing piece and investigation.) -- done
> Plan for a 35 Philosophy question tomorrow; the topic is on William James and Religious Experience. -- done

LIT: I started a massive document where I am going through my notes and organising the key quotes for Hamlet, which is my weakest paper at the moment.
CURRENT FOCUS: Re-read Hamlet, and add the key moments into the doc (with analysis) as I go along.

LANG: I completely failed my paper two, therefore I plan to redo it over the Easter holidays. Now that my coursework is all done with, I can focus on fully revising the content and my exam technique.

SOCIOLOGY: I decided to come into school over the Easter holidays to resit paper three (Crime and Deviance) which I scored the lowest in (63% compared to 85% on paper two). I'll hopefully be getting my papers back on Friday so I can then look at which specific topics I did the worst in for that paper.
CURRENT FOCUS: Start writing up my notes for the Research and Methods section. Also, revise for a test on this on Friday.

RS: My most confident subject at the moment, since it's largely content and application based.
TO DO: Finish my A3 notes for Environmental Ethics from the reader; I have about three pages left to do.

I'm doing 4AS'. How do u manage to do all 4 subjects in one day? Isn't it stressful? X
Original post by MKaur18
I'm doing 4AS'. How do u manage to do all 4 subjects in one day? Isn't it stressful? X

Hey there! Thanks for posting!

It can be quite stressful balancing all my subjects, and admittedly I haven't been able to do something for every subject every day, but I find that doing even a little something like making some notes, or just watching a related video is better than doing nothing and stops me feeling so overwhelmed.

How are your AS' going?
Update 03/04/17

ENGLISH LIT
> A3 poster notes on context for Romantic poets: Shelley, Coleridge,
> Some poetry notes: Rime of the Ancient Mariner
> Context and analysis notes: A Streetcar Named Desire, Hamlet

Nice to see someone else doing A2 literature! Which exam board are you doing? I'm on Edexcel, doing King Lear instead of Hamlet :smile: And then Hard Times and Atonement for the prose paper - but everything else is the same!
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Nice to see someone else doing A2 literature! Which exam board are you doing? I'm on Edexcel, doing King Lear instead of Hamlet :smile: And then Hard Times and Atonement for the prose paper - but everything else is the same!

That's awesome too! How's Lit going for you? I'm doing Edexcel as well, your prose paper sounds really good! Might I ask, how are you revising the poetry paper? I feel as if there is far too much content for Romantics and for the unseen, we only just finished the anthology in class last Friday!
Update 06/04/17

Today was a lot more successful in terms of revision, I got plenty done today - despite feeling particularly stressed out.

SOCIOLOGY
> Notes on the following in a small notebook:
[Culture and Identity] Consumption.
[Crime and Deviance] Labelling Theory, Neo-Marxist subcultural approaches to crime, Strain Theory.
[Theory and methods] Social policy and sociology.
> Filed away my most recent Year 13 mock. I plan to redo it next week, but it's interesting to see the marks for each paper.
- Culture & Identity and Global Development - 83%, roughly a low A*. Nearly full marks for most questions except for the 20 marker on Global Development where I got 12/20, I'll definitely redo this question at some point. Pleasantly surprised though, because I thought it would be my weakest paper.
- Education and Theory and Methods - 70%, only just an A. Definitely some work to improve on but it's the highest I've gotten so far so I'm glad that I'm improving.
- Crime and Deviance and Theory and Methods - 63%. A low B. I honestly thought I would do much better in this paper seeing as it's my favourite content-wise. I will redo some of the higher-mark questions, such as the 30 marker which I only managed to get 18 marks for. I think I mainly need to use more specific examples and studies, as my teacher pointed out in another question that I make some 'sweeping' statements.

ENGLISH LANG
> Notes on an A3 sheet about Language Change [Paper Two]: Old English, Middle English, Early Modern and Late Modern.

ENGLISH LIT
> I organised a plastic wallet for all of my annotated poetry to help collect it all in one place.
[Romantics] Notes on the Romantics and academic quotes about the sublime
> Key quote from Burke: "The true sublime uplifts our souls". The sublime/nature is of "higher importance than beauty".
[Streetcar]: Key quotes from the text in a huge mind-map, as well as links to themes and analysis.

RS
> Unfortunately I didn't get around to doing anything for RS today.
(edited 7 years ago)
That's awesome too! How's Lit going for you? I'm doing Edexcel as well, your prose paper sounds really good! Might I ask, how are you revising the poetry paper? I feel as if there is far too much content for Romantics and for the unseen, we only just finished the anthology in class last Friday!

Funny you should ask about poetry - my mock for it is tomorrow morning!

The way I've ended up revising for it is to summarise each poem into a line or two, and then pick key quotes and themes from each poem. Then, if I have enough time before the actual exam, I'm intending to create mind maps of themes and list poems that could be chosen to talk about. For both romantic and Poems of the Decade.

Literature is going okay over here; we've still got the Bronte poems to cover as we spent a little longer than expected on coursework, but we should have then finished by the beginning of May. And I know what you mean about too much content; apparently the exam board are taking 8 poems out of the unseen anthology for those next year - so my teacher thinks that they might set questions on poems they're planning to get rid of?
Funny you should ask about poetry - my mock for it is tomorrow morning!

The way I've ended up revising for it is to summarise each poem into a line or two, and then pick key quotes and themes from each poem. Then, if I have enough time before the actual exam, I'm intending to create mind maps of themes and list poems that could be chosen to talk about. For both romantic and Poems of the Decade.

Literature is going okay over here; we've still got the Bronte poems to cover as we spent a little longer than expected on coursework, but we should have then finished by the beginning of May. And I know what you mean about too much content; apparently the exam board are taking 8 poems out of the unseen anthology for those next year - so my teacher thinks that they might set questions on poems they're planning to get rid of?

Best of luck for tomorrow!

That sounds like a good plan, thank you! We still have a couple of Bronte and half of Rime of the Ancient Mariner to get through as well. Our class is very much behind so we're having to do lunchtime lessons to make up for it.

I heard about them taking off some from the anthology, it's a little unfair to say the least. Do you happen to know which poems they are taking off?
Best of luck for tomorrow!

That sounds like a good plan, thank you! We still have a couple of Bronte and half of Rime of the Ancient Mariner to get through as well. Our class is very much behind so we're having to do lunchtime lessons to make up for it.

I heard about them taking off some from the anthology, it's a little unfair to say the least. Do you happen to know which poems they are taking off?

Thanks :smile: I hope the paper's nice as I've not been doing as well as I've been hoping so far (oh well)

I quite like Rime of the Ancient Mariner - the gothic imagery and the mystical elements in the final parts just bring my imagination to life. (I'm also a fan of Blake as I just love the dirty imagery in London and the Holy Thursdays)

And I'm not entirely sure? My teacher mentioned something about Eat Me, and possibly Out of the Bag - but those two came up on the exam last year, so I doubt they'll use them two years in a row.
Thanks :smile: I hope the paper's nice as I've not been doing as well as I've been hoping so far (oh well)

I quite like Rime of the Ancient Mariner - the gothic imagery and the mystical elements in the final parts just bring my imagination to life. (I'm also a fan of Blake as I just love the dirty imagery in London and the Holy Thursdays)

And I'm not entirely sure? My teacher mentioned something about Eat Me, and possibly Out of the Bag - but those two came up on the exam last year, so I doubt they'll use them two years in a row.

You've got this, mate! I actually don't mind ROTAM, it's just so long and I find it difficult to compare due to its length and having to analyse content from all parts of the poem.

I really hope so! I don't like those two.
You've got this, mate! I actually don't mind ROTAM, it's just so long and I find it difficult to compare due to its length and having to analyse content from all parts of the poem.

I really hope so! I don't like those two.

I kinda like Eat Me? Idk I find the references to Alice in Wonderland quirky. But that's probably just me.

And it's quite funny about those two - as my English teacher told us they weren't going to be that mean in the first exam - and guess what came up. But it was funny to watch her rant about the exam though.
Hey there! Thanks for posting!

It can be quite stressful balancing all my subjects, and admittedly I haven't been able to do something for every subject every day, but I find that doing even a little something like making some notes, or just watching a related video is better than doing nothing and stops me feeling so overwhelmed.

How are your AS' going?

That's pretty useful I guess. I do 3 sciences and maths. It's sonmuch hell. I originally wanted to drop physics in A2 but now im thinking Biology.

I'm finding it so hard. Im just banging past papers than learnjng content n going over that cus i don't have enough time now. But im trying my best. My mocks weren't great as u would have seen on a thread i've done. But im trying to bump up my grades as high as possible. X
Original post by MKaur18
That's pretty useful I guess. I do 3 sciences and maths. It's sonmuch hell. I originally wanted to drop physics in A2 but now im thinking Biology.

I'm finding it so hard. Im just banging past papers than learnjng content n going over that cus i don't have enough time now. But im trying my best. My mocks weren't great as u would have seen on a thread i've done. But im trying to bump up my grades as high as possible. X

For your subjects past papers definitely seem to be the way to go! My best friend is doing similar subjects to get into Medicine and that seems to be all she does, aside from rewriting notes and making power-points. Best of luck, I'm sure that if you work hard you can do brilliantly! I remember for my GCSE mock in Biology I got a D in March/April (my Biology teacher was awful), but I revised enough content and past papers to eventually get me an A in all three papers. Consider mocks as a way to see what you're not doing well subject-wise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending