The Student Room Group

Laptop help. Which one to buy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by orangeoctopus
those specs are really good for that price, also dell are good, my laptop (admittedly a massively reduced awesome alienware) was from dell, their computers last long and their customer service is pretty good if you get through to the right person

I dont think they are 3 cell battery and dual core i5. Think she will get a better deal.
Original post by 999tigger
I dont think they are 3 cell battery and dual core i5. Think she will get a better deal.

yes however its a gtx 960 which on it own costs at least £250 which increases the price a lot

It depends how mobile she wants to be, but yes in general you can get better deals on dell outlet, dropping a 2 for 1 inspiron and going to standard laptop will get better specs for price range, but they don't have much in the 350-450 range at the moment (other than scratch and dents).
Reply 23

Original post by orangeoctopus
yes however its a gtx 960 which on it own costs at least £250 which increases the price a lot

Original post by loooopppyyy
It depends how mobile she wants to be, but yes in general you can get better deals on dell outlet, dropping a 2 for 1 inspiron and going to standard laptop will get better specs for price range, but they don't have much in the 350-450 range at the moment (other than scratch and dents).

I'm not too keen on second hand definetly dont want scratches dents. I'd prefer a new one. Doesnt have to be portable. Are there any other sites apart from pc world that are trustworthy. I've looked on amazon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A321
I'm not too keen on second hand definetly dont want scratches dents. I'd prefer a new one. Doesnt have to be portable. Are there any other sites apart from pc world that are trustworthy. I've looked on amazon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not that I know of, I spent weeks looking for my new laptop before deciding on refurb, I did see a decent new laptop deal on pcworld though a while back;

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-au153sa-15-6-laptop-gold-10156900-pdt.html

Not sure if it was in the list you had, I would seriously consider adding SSD though into your search.

Edit: Sorry just remembered, if you don't mind shipping globally and waiting a bit longer, NewEgg could be an option

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Category=223&N=100196537&IsNodeId=1
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by loooopppyyy
Not that I know of, I spent weeks looking for my new laptop before deciding on refurb, I did see a decent new laptop deal on pcworld though a while back;

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-au153sa-15-6-laptop-gold-10156900-pdt.html

Not sure if it was in the list you had, I would seriously consider adding SSD though into your search.

Edit: Sorry just remembered, if you don't mind shipping globally and waiting a bit longer, NewEgg could be an option

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Category=223&N=100196537&IsNodeId=1

Yeh i saw that one too. I'm thinking of getting i3 instead of i5 and getting it for £430.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-au182sa-15-6-laptop-black-10156936-pdt.html

Whats SSD?

But do newegg ship from a different country. I need something within this week or next at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A321
Thank you. Its not for uni. Gone past uni haha. Its for work related documents. I kinda do need it now as my current HP has completely died on me now. So its kind of urgent.
No not for gaming. Theres was the HP 8gb with AMD in JL for £400. But again im not too sure about AMD's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
All the machines you posted have almost the same spec, except the CPUs and that some of them had SSDs instead of hard drives.

One thing I don't get is why the Intel ones all seem to be i3s, at that price. I bought my i5 laptop last year for about £400 :iiam:

Also there's nothing wrong with AMD processors.
Reply 27
Original post by Tootles
All the machines you posted have almost the same spec, except the CPUs and that some of them had SSDs instead of hard drives.

One thing I don't get is why the Intel ones all seem to be i3s, at that price. I bought my i5 laptop last year for about £400 :iiam:

Also there's nothing wrong with AMD processors.

Is it better to get SSD or a hardrive?

Ahhh where did you get yours from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A321

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends on what you need it for. If you need speed and battery life, SSDs are a good idea - though the lion's share of the battery life is taken by the display and CPU, so the impact of a hard drive will be felt more in speed; a laptop with a hard drive and a battery life of 10hr is only going to give you an hour more with an SSD.

I got mine from PC-World last year. It's an Acer Aspire F5-571 series - but they dont' do them any more, I just checked.
Reply 29
Original post by A321

Posted from TSR Mobile

Obviously an SSD but it's much more expensive per GB of memory. That's why you never see OEM computers with large SSDs.
Original post by A321

Posted from TSR Mobile

SSD. its quicker reading/writing data, faster bootup times (windows bootup went from over 1 minute to 7 seconds on my old computer after installing it) and is more durable.

The only major advantage hdd really has is its price.
Reply 31
Guys can you suggest me some laptops for uni next year...I would studying Medicine so any recommendations. No fixed Budget.
Original post by Pochi101
Guys can you suggest me some laptops for uni next year...I would studying Medicine so any recommendations. No fixed Budget.

It's very hard to recommend something that we don't know the requirements of your course, ie software used and stuff.

A few things I would consider though;

At least a 1920 x 1080 display for any uni student (don't underestimate the importance of having 2 tabs open at the same time, this will be needed a lot working through practicals, assignments etc etc).

Medicine I'm guessing portability might be important, don't go higher than a 15.6" screen size.

Back lit keyboard if you plan to work a lot at night.
Original post by A321

Posted from TSR Mobile

They tend to be like or actually brand new from dell outlet. Sometimes just inventory they wish to unload or an order that has fallen though.

As i said be unlikely to buy from PC World.

John Lewis is the one with the best customer service, but there are many more online businesses with ok reps. Just use your credit card if possible for extra protection.
Reply 34
They tend to be like or actually brand new from dell outlet. Sometimes just inventory they wish to unload or an order that has fallen though.

John Lewis is the one with the best customer service, but there are many more online businesses with ok reps. Just use your credit card if possible for extra protection.

Thank you. Are there any you'd recommend in the links i originally posted? To be honest I'm a bit desperate for the laptop atm so not too bothered where its from. As long as its not over priced or has crap specs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A321
Thank you. Are there any you'd recommend in the links i originally posted? To be honest I'm a bit desperate for the laptop atm so not too bothered where its from. As long as its not over priced or has crap specs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of all the ones you posted in the original post, I'd probably go for this one

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-au182sa-15-6-laptop-black-10156936-pdt.html?awc=1598_1493189199_2a7e0f807230e3d7020736671c3ee659&srcid=369&xtor=AL-11&cmpid=aff~Skimlinks~Editorial%20Content~78888&awid=78888
Reply 36

Yeh. Thats the one I'm keen on.

What do you guys think of this? They have 10% off. So would be about £400.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-yoga-510-14-2-in-1-black-10146159-pdt.html

Does it have SSD??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A321

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-yoga-510-14-2-in-1-black-10146159-pdt.html

Does it have SSD??

Posted from TSR Mobile

No its a hdd, also I'd possibly stay away from low end AMD cpu's, in my experience only the higher end ones are comparable with intels.
Original post by A321

Does it have SSD??

Posted from TSR Mobile

As he says its a 1tb hdd not ssd and AMD chip. The reviews ive seen of the 510 have the more powerful i5 intel chip in.

If you really are going to buy from PC world then you can visit and see it in person. I can look at the weekend if you want but if youd posted on the link I gave you then lots of nerds would look,
Reply 39
As he says its a 1tb hdd not ssd and AMD chip. The reviews ive seen of the 510 have the more powerful i5 intel chip in.

If you really are going to buy from PC world then you can visit and see it in person. I can look at the weekend if you want but if youd posted on the link I gave you then lots of nerds would look,

Ah ok. I'll be going to see them on the weekend hopefully. But i want to get the specs right in terms of what i should go for first. Oh yeh it would be great if you could. Ive not had a chance to post on there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending