The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature 9-1

Hello everyone. My English literature exams are less than a month away and I find this subject really difficult. The texts I am studying are Romeo and Juliet, Frankenstein, Power and Conflict (poetry cluster) An Inspector Calls and the short stories anthology (our teacher taught us both choices for that question). I was just wondering if anybody has some tips, revision notes or model answers which could help me improve my performance in this subject. I struggle to write concisely so I never finish the exams in time, but I am currently at a grade 5/6 and my projected grade is a 7. Please help me if you can and thanks in advance
Reply 1
Does anybody have any advice?
Reply 2
Original post by Moppet
Does anybody have any advice?

Research Dantes inferno and the 9 circles of hell, if you can understand it and link it in easy 8 grade
Watch mr bruff + past papers.
u can practise them in ur own time and then also under timed conditions. do u plan ur answer? if not start doing it.
its best to know how much each question is worth, how long u should spend on it and what each paper is on. (mr bruff/mrs whelan on utube)

oh, and quotes!
-someone who got a 4 in eng lit and is expected a 7
Reply 4
Hi, I did my GCSE's a couple years ago but hopefully they have not chanced too much!
I did Romeo and Juliet and An Inspector Calls amongst other works. My main piece of advice would be to know your texts inside out. I had physical copies of both which were annotated within an inch of their life.
Get to know the themes of the texts.
For Romeo and Juliet: love causing violence, fate etc.
For An Inspector Calls: guilt, suicide, culpability.
Also the context. What was going on at the time the texts were written and how that would have an effect on the characters and their lives and also how would that effect the authors writing.
Romeo and Juliet: Adapted by William Shakespeare in the "Elizabethan Era" where there was significant change to religion, politics, science, language and the arts. Was very religious period- catholic society where suicide would be considered a mortal sin.
Women were seen as property as were children, father would dictate who children would marry and usually for personal gain/wealth.
An Inspector Calls: Written by a working class born J.B Priestly immediately post WWII. Consider, social issues at that time, political issues, Capitalism, industrial revolution, attitudes to single mothers, familial conflicts etc. Lots of irony in this play.
Look on sparknotes found they really helped me a lot!
Hopefully this helps some! Try not to stress and Good Luck! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Do you have any guidance for edexcel

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Language and literature

I am doing Macbeth , inspector calls and Christmas carol .

Any guidance or tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moppet
Hello everyone. My English literature exams are less than a month away and I find this subject really difficult. The texts I am studying are Romeo and Juliet, Frankenstein, Power and Conflict (poetry cluster) An Inspector Calls and the short stories anthology (our teacher taught us both choices for that question). I was just wondering if anybody has some tips, revision notes or model answers which could help me improve my performance in this subject. I struggle to write concisely so I never finish the exams in time, but I am currently at a grade 5/6 and my projected grade is a 7. Please help me if you can and thanks in advance

Hey - we've put together this collection of study resources for An Inspector Calls - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=28138-The-best-study-tools-for-An-Inspector-Calls

and this one for Romeo and Juliet - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=28290-The-best-study-tools-for-Romeo-and-Juliet

- let me know if you find them helpful.
Reply 8
It's truly helpful!!

Thank you so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myapure
Research Dantes inferno and the 9 circles of hell, if you can understand it and link it in easy 8 grade

HI, what text is this for ?
Reply 10
Original post by MediaROCKS
HI, what text is this for ?

Any of them. I would say Jekyll and Hyde / Lord of the flies
Original post by myapure
Any of them. I would say Jekyll and Hyde / Lord of the flies

Please could you explain how to link it to any Jekyll and Hyde question please ?
Reply 12
Original post by MediaROCKS
Please could you explain how to link it to any Jekyll and Hyde question please ?

Its hard for me to explain over here, I suggest you look at this link for help https://prezi.com/xhizjp5owtzg/the-id-ego-and-superego-in-dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending