The Student Room Group

Why did Stalin fear the USA by 1946?

Can you please bullet point them as it is a 6 mark question.
Thanks.
p.s. the topic is Cold War :smile:
I really only have one bullet point about that and that's only surrounding the breakdown in relationships between USSR and USA. You can talk about Truman's brash hard-lined attitude towards communism and how he just dropped the bomb (haha, geddit) about the new nuclear technology that US had developed and how he refused to share it with the USSR -> further causing panic about invasion/war on USSR by the USA
Reply 2
Original post by Hello50
Can you please bullet point them as it is a 6 mark question.
Thanks.
p.s. the topic is Cold War :smile:

The big one is that the Americans developed the Atomic bomb and Stalin didn't have one yet.

President Roosevelt died and Truman became president. He was more suspicious of the Russians.

Ummmm ****.
basically how i feel about this whole early cold war section :wink:
Original post by stoyfan

Ummmm ****.
Reply 4
Original post by saharan_skies
basically how i feel about this whole early cold war section :wink:

Ikr. I have the test in 4 days and boy, I do feel unprepared.

I also need to learn Russia 1905-1941.

Also, Stalin wanted a buffer zone between Russia and western Europe incase if someone attempted to invade Russia.

So I guess you can say that he was also scared of invasion.
(edited 6 years ago)
yikes, I love Russia but learning over 30 years of just its history is a pain. For my section, it's Britain 1890-1918, Germany from 1919-1939 and The Entire Cold War section (with the Cuban Missile Crisis and Vietnam war [my fave])

Original post by stoyfan
Ikr. I have the test in 4 days and boy, I do feel unprepared.

I also need to learn Russia 1905-1941.

Also, Stalin wanted a buffer zone between Russia and western Europe incase if someone attempted to invade Russia.

So I guess you can say that he was also scared of invasion.
Reply 6
yikes, I love Russia but learning over 30 years of just its history is a pain. For my section, it's Britain 1890-1918, Germany from 1919-1939 and The Entire Cold War section (with the Cuban Missile Crisis and Vietnam war [my fave])

Is Britain 1890-1918 your paper 2 because that is also what I am doing.

The content is ok and easy to understand. I do like the fact that most of the test is basically sources questions. They are pretty easy.
I am doing Russian Revolution at A-Level up til Stalin's death but perhaps you can look at:

US Marshall aid to USSR occupied Europe

Berlin blockade failure

Atomic bomb as you have mentioned also the USSR did develop one

Long Telegram against the Soviet Union

aid being pulled out of the USSR after the war

yeeeep it is! I guess you're just doing Russia instead of Germany in paper 1, then :smile:
It's fairly all good but remembering dates and what happened first and what happened second gives me a migraine because I can never quite remember the exact date or data. With the source section;; i usually get the message/purpose of it right, which is slightly relieving tbqh. What's your most easily remembered topic?
Original post by stoyfan
Is Britain 1890-1918 your paper 2 because that is also what I am doing.

The content is ok and easy to understand. I do like the fact that most of the test is basically sources questions. They are pretty easy.

At the Tehran conference in 1943, Stalin thought the USA and Britain took too long to open a 2nd front, which was suspicious

There were signs of tension from their differences in ideologies and they disagreed on what 'democracy' meant

The USA tested an atomic bomb without telling Stalin which caused suspicion (July 1945)

I'm not sure if "by 1946" means before 1946 or including it. If it's including, you could also speak about Churchill's Iron curtain speach or the 2 telegrams.
(edited 6 years ago)
yeeeep it is! I guess you're just doing Russia instead of Germany in paper 1, then :smile:
It's fairly all good but remembering dates and what happened first and what happened second gives me a migraine because I can never quite remember the exact date or data. With the source section;; i usually get the message/purpose of it right, which is slightly relieving tbqh. What's your most easily remembered topic?

Easily remembered topic? I find the Suffergette movement and the Cuban missile crisis the easiest to remember. I don't believe you need to learn many dates for those but I could be wrong.

Yup. I did Germany from 1918 to 1925ish for my Coursework.
Original post by Chichaldo
I am doing Russian Revolution at A-Level up til Stalin's death but perhaps you can look at:

Berlin blockade failure

Oh yes, thank you.
You have to be careful of the questions that specify a date though, Berlin Blockade comes after 1946.
Original post by Chichaldo

Berlin blockade failure

I guess its just my *****y memory lmao! Honestly I haven't even looked over Paper 2 yet, I don't think I will until close to the exam date.
We did the Civil Rights Movement lolll! Totally irrelevant to what we need for our spec but I found the new topic refreshing to learn :smile:
Original post by stoyfan
Easily remembered topic? I find the Suffergette movement and the Cuban missile crisis the easiest to remember. I don't believe you need to learn many dates for those but I could be wrong.

Yup. I did Germany from 1918 to 1925ish for my Coursework.
We did Civil Rights as coursework, was good. Obviously not the content as it was horrific but a a piece of history (to most of us) that we should know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending