The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Glassapple
The exam board doesn't just pluck a number out of thin air and run with it. Obviously the amount of time given is proportional to how much time the paper should take, which has been fairly and logically analysed (with extra time given to those legitimately judged to need it, which is not very many at all as a percentage of your year group). If you run out of time then it's down to your poor exam technique, which guess what, you've had two academic years to practise and perfect.

Your teachers have been banging on at you for two years about how much time to spend on each section, how much you should aim to write for each section, how to be concise when you need to, how to write in detail when you need to, etc. They sit there with you time and time again with timed and untimed papers in lessons and revision sessions, going through mistakes you could make and how to correct them. They show you the specification, past mark schemes and sample answers. They tell you to revise the content and practise your exam technique against all of this. Then you still run out of time because clearly, you haven't been paying any attention at all to the people who were trying to help you.

Urm... the questions are different during the exam so you actually have to think about applying the things you know as oppose to just repeating everything from past papers and practice.
Original post by Cloverleaf25
Laugh if he gets an E or something 😂

He'll make up some BS when he gets hus results...
First of all why do you care?

That's like me asking
"How do people get lower than a grade 8? I mean teachers have been giving us techniques and we've had enough time to revise, are people just stupid?!!!"
sometimes you'll get stuck on a question and run out of time for the last couple questions, i doubt anyone's happy with running out of time but sometimes we simply mess up in tests and run out of time :tongue: it's not that deep, we're all human anyway and we all make mistakes!
Sometimes you fall asleep in exams....
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Much more believable and doable as some gcses have v. low grade boundaries, i am still skeptical and would like to be tagged in proof when you provide it.

All this logic and proof is getting me hot & bothered. :colone:
Original post by PotterlyMissy
All this logic and proof is getting me hot & bothered. :colone:

Take a cold shower
I half agree with what you have said. I have never, personally, run out of time in an exam. But you do feel the pressure and threat of it throughout which is the worst part to be honest. I can see it getting to some people.
So you're telling me the exam boards just pick a time out of a hat and just print it on the papers? Obviously they've trialled the units internally and decided on a logical and fair needed amount of time, which is reflected in the specifications and the teaching. If you're not able to answer the questions in the allotted period of time then that's poor exam technique and you haven't taken in the specification properly, nor have you revised effectively. My exams are going extremely well, thank you for your concern.

You don't think two years of GCSE teaching and a further two years of A-level teaching is adequate preparation for being able to manage your time in exams?

You should see me with the hot boys.

They don't pick it out of the air but there have been cases where exam boards have realised that the time they've allocated to a paper was inappropriately too little (OCR with the science papers ended up boosting them up by 15 minutes in the old spec when they had realised people were not being given enough time to finish them). Exam boards can sometimes give too many questions and very few marks for each one which makes it difficult to answer accurately and at a FAST rate.
Original post by Cloverleaf25
Hahaha 😂 What a saddo, English essays are so hard to finish in an 1hr and 45 mins, if she was so clever she wouldn't go around degrading others 😂

I'm male.

Original post by TheNigeriaPrince
You definitely have no friends if you don't realise that some people have different skill sets to you. People can work really hard and still not do too well. It's easy for you to brag about unproven marks online and judge everyone worse than you, but you won't go too far if you have no empathy for others. This very thread is proof you have no friends and you don't deserve any. You're not better than anyone. Your either a stuck up c#nt who doesn't understand that some people may find exams stressful from the pressure which will justifiably cause them to run out of time or your just a lying tw@t trying to trigger people. F#ck you

If I ever I start swearing at you, you can start swearing at me. Until that non-existent point, don't make yourself look so stupid. Did I ever state I had friends? If you've read my other threads you'll see I don't want or need them, just sex.

Original post by LunaCat
He'll make up some BS when he gets hus results...

I'll be posting my statement of results on results day.

Original post by Sanjith Hegde123
First of all why do you care? That's like me asking "How do people get lower than a grade 8? I mean teachers have been giving us techniques and we've had enough time to revise, are people just stupid?!!!"
I care because people never seem to be able to take responsibility for their own failings, it's always the exam board's and/or their teachers' fault, never theirs. You'd have a valid question there.
(edited 6 years ago)
people might spend more time on a particular question, or if they get stuck understanding the question etc, there's several reasons tbh not just ' poor exam technique '
Some people are poor at time management. It is a pity it could not be identified easily.
Reply 52
Is this really necessary? Congratulations on the fact that you have no problem in regards to your academic achievements, and sure, of course you are entitled to express your opinions online & irl, but imo you just have too much time on your hands.

PS. Even tho I don't really agree with what you're saying... I have to say "Woah." about your achievements, if they are honest and truthful then you are one smart guy! (tbh I'm kinda like how straightforward you are loll)
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm male.

I care because people never seem to be able to take responsibility for their own failings, it's always the exam board's and/or their teachers' fault, never theirs. You'd have a valid question there.

Well, If they blame the exam board, well leave them to whine and be stupid, honestly, why do you care if people do stupid things?
Unless it affects you, you don't really need to do things like this...
Reply 54
Much more believable and doable as some gcses have v. low grade boundaries, i am still skeptical and would like to be tagged in proof when you provide it.

Still waiting on that photograph showing his results. Everything can be cropped out, just the grades would be fine, but no- hes a liar
Original post by daas13
Still waiting on that photograph showing his results. Everything can be cropped out, just the grades would be fine, but no- hes a liar

If you read my post properly, you'll see I'll be posting it along with my AS results, on AS results day.
Hmu with a pic of your amazing GCSE results bruh xXx
Reply 57
If you read my post properly, you'll see I'll be posting it along with my AS results, on AS results day.

People are going to hate me for saying this but I actually hope you get all As for AS.

I prefer someone who is clever but has a sharp tongue over others who are probably just jealous.
Original post by Elliwhi
Oh my god. I just realised who the OP is. You're the posh idiot who refused to go on that ski trip because the teachers wouldn't let you share a room with your boyfriend because you'd sleep with him. :biggrin:

Having 1h45mins for 2 essays at GCSE level was tough enough, imagine what writing A level english essays in an exam must be like.

OP, what subjects do you even take? Maths? Biology? All the non-essay subjects?

Please go worry about your own exams and your own grades, and stop sticking your nose into everyone else's business.

I just dropped in to say that biology exams do have essays now. That's all, carry on.

@OP, go troll somewhere else.
You think glassapple made this with the intention of helping people?
Or mocking and belittling them?

I know which one id bet on.

I like to think that some of my threads push people into thinking things they'd never have thought of before. I like to think that sometimes people see that you don't have to be, do and say whatever everyone else wants, through my posts. As horrible as you think I am, I think it's refreshing to have at least one person on here who's as cutting as me. I offer a different perspective and a slightly different view on life.

Latest