The Student Room Group

How much influence does your A Level result have on job opportunities?

Hello!

I'm going to university in September as I have an unconditional offer. I'm feeling very stressed at the moment as I still feel like I want to achieve the best grade I can in maths.

However I feel like regardless of how much next 3 maths exams go I would still come out with a grade C. I have also already achieved 2 Distinction* in business.

How much of a influence would my grade C in maths affect my future in terms of job opportunities provided I do well in my degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by bhfn
Hello!

I'm going to university in September as I have an unconditional offer. I'm feeling very stressed at the moment as I still feel like I want to achieve the best grade I can in maths.

However I feel like regardless of how much next 3 maths exams go I would still come out with a grade C. I have also already achieved 2 Distinction* in business.

How much of a influence would my grade C in maths affect my future in terms of job opportunities provided I do well in my degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are some employers who ask for minimum A level grades such as ABB or A at maths. Of course it depends on what type of job it is. However, even if you have bad grades you can "fix" it if you do well in university and get work experience
In general, it's irrelevant. More specifically, a few jobs may have specific requirements, but these are usually quite clear about this from the get go.

Some examples would include laboratory assistant/technician roles, which would usually want an A-level in a related science and relevant experience in a lab (which, depending on the nature of the job, may accept just the A-level lab experience, or want you to have done work experience or other similar work in professional or academic laboratories including standard uni degree lab experience). Alternately many investment banking type roles, which have nominal requirements of ABB+ grades (depending on the role and firm) that typically don't have nay subject requirements and merely serve as an additional filter for the large number of applications they receive.

Usually however, subject specific knowledge and experience gained at university supersedes that achieve at A-level and they will not consider A-level grades in the same subject as your degree. So if you got a C in A-level chemistry, then went on to get a 1st in a Chemistry degree, an applied to one of the aforementioned lab assistant type roles, they'll usually just consider your degree results. However again, it depends on the specific company (or equivalent i.e. school for school based roles) and role. It's hard to give more specific advice without knowing what you would like to study at uni and what potential career(s) you're considering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending