The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Forecast
You still need to be in education of some sort until you are 18 - an apprenticeship will generally include some study at a FE college or similar.

i know some people that left after GCSEs to work at Tesco though.
Original post by physicsmaths
No, most likely not, you would be way too behind in IA material and probably wouldn't be good enough at maths at that current moment in time.

Yea that's what I thought tbh. Shame but it looks like that's the reality, it's time to convince myself I want my insurance aha. Thanks very much though
Original post by Olliesquire
it's time to convince myself I want my insurance aha. Thanks very much though

Where is your insurance? Cambridge isn't everything, you'll likely end up loving your insurance (if you go there, which may or may not happen). It's not the end of the world.

Also, people tend to underestimate their STEP performance significantly, so you may well end up getting 12 and getting in anyway, if you want to message me with a detailed breakdown of how much you did on each question in STEP III, I'll be happy to take a gander at your mark for you.
Original post by CutieTootsie
NOPE - i'm all done! i stupidly picked biology over physics which OCR have messed up completely if you've heard anything about it in the news.

In all honesty I havent heard anything about the exams this year, beyond the edexcel leaks. The Eduqas Biology exams have been pretty hard apparently though.
Original post by Zacken
Where is your insurance? Cambridge isn't everything, you'll likely end up loving your insurance (if you go there, which may or may not happen). It's not the end of the world.

Also, people tend to underestimate their STEP performance significantly, so you may well end up getting 12 and getting in anyway, if you want to message me with a detailed breakdown of how much you did on each question in STEP III, I'll be happy to take a gander at your mark for you.

My Insurance is warwick, so yea you're probably right I'll like it a lot, just a shame after the interview and everything. But onwards and upwards aha, I'd like a guess at the score but I honestly can't remember the questions, let alone what I did in them. Really appreciate the offer though, thank you
Original post by Olliesquire
My Insurance is warwick, so yea you're probably right I'll like it a lot, just a shame after the interview and everything. But onwards and upwards aha, I'd like a guess at the score but I honestly can't remember the questions, let alone what I did in them. Really appreciate the offer though, thank you

Yeah Warwick is quite good. Anyway, you can find the questions here, feel free to message me if you want a guess at anything, no problem if you don't remember how you did though, of course -- just keep in mind that you're likely underestimating your score and you could still well get in.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I was telling @wolfmoon88 I had a nightmare about clearing (basically missed Cam offer and Durham insurance offer, and UCAS without my consent put me into a course at a university I really didn't want to go to.. I was a bit annoyed) last night. Don't worry, I made a mess of my exams too. We can do it :redface: Try and enjoy your summer though!

We can only hope.. Enjoy your summer too! I've got to get used to the fact I'm not in school and stop crying for once 😂😂😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
This historian at York uni (who is also a research fellow at Cambridge, fun fact) said I could email her about anything, so I have just sent my first email. I feel so lucky because one of my friends emailed a historian out of the blue and he was awful to him :lol: Hopefully I'll find a way into the academic field of history with or without being a Cam or Durham undergrad... though I hope I do get my firm (or insurance). :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
Yeah Warwick is quite good. Anyway, you can find the questions here, feel free to message me if you want a guess at anything, no problem if you don't remember how you did though, of course -- just keep in mind that you're likely underestimating your score and you could still well get in.

Thanks a lot honestly, I will do if I remember
Original post by an_atheist
In all honesty I havent heard anything about the exams this year, beyond the edexcel leaks. The Eduqas Biology exams have been pretty hard apparently though.

okay well basically ocr didn't provide formulas for calculations, yet on the spec it says "these will be provided". it's a pretty huge scandal. they messed up every biology exam so watchdog stepped in. pretty embarrassing for them losing credibility like that in one summer.
okay well basically ocr didn't provide formulas for calculations, yet on the spec it says "these will be provided". it's a pretty huge scandal. they messed up every biology exam so watchdog stepped in. pretty embarrassing for them losing credibility like that in one summer.

Wait they messed up every bio exam? How so!? I need all the juicy details
i know some people that left after GCSEs to work at Tesco though.

I believe the law changed whilst @Forecast and I were in year 11 (or possibly year 10) and most of those in this thread were in the year below that, so if you're older than that perhaps that's why?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by rayofsunshine98
Yeah it was chem, except from the fact I got a 105% yield and the pH question I also made a complete mess of, so it's not looking good. I also made a major hash of most of my maths, although there are issues with teaching in maths, and my tutor is going to write to my college and explain the situation to them, so hopefully if I get like A*A*B with B in maths, they will look relatively favourably on it (I had to teach myself like 90% of the stuff I needed for exams this year in maths).

105% yield was talked about a lot in the fb chat for natsci offer holders, dunno if you saw that - it seems to be the right answer since about 5 people agreed on it (weird as it is..)
Original post by physicsmaths
No, most likely not, you would be way too behind in IA material and probably wouldn't be good enough at maths at that current moment in time.

What about starting at IA again? How does the IA natsci maths compare with STEP?

which formulae were they?
Original post by k.russell
105% yield was talked about a lot in the fb chat for natsci offer holders, dunno if you saw that - it seems to be the right answer since about 5 people agreed on it (weird as it is..)

Believe in yourself @rayofsunshine98 (she said hypocritically as she browsed possible options for clearing/reapplying to uni).
Believe in yourself @rayofsunshine98 (she said hypocritically as she browsed possible options for clearing/reapplying to uni).

ngl 3 humanities A levels would make me nervous, the thing I like about maths exams is that you can walk out and have a pretty accurate (maybe +/-3) estimate of your score - really helps with results stress and stuff
Original post by k.russell
ngl 3 humanities A levels would make me nervous, the thing I like about maths exams is that you can walk out and have a pretty accurate (maybe +/-3) estimate of your score - really helps with results stress and stuff

It's terrifying 😬 like I've either done really well or I've completely flunked it, and it's blo*dy annoying as I know myself that I'm good at those subjects (which is evidenced from internal assessments, AS results, and coursework marks), :angry: I need A*A*A for Cambridge but some of the exams were solid (and sometimes I was just exhausted + have had some personal issues which I've informed my college about) so doubt I'll be seeing you all in autumn

If you combined my internal attainment in class, teacher perspectives and opinions, coursework, etc... I would have A*A*A*...

The way I'm I'd be lucky with ABC-BCC... I'm notoriously self-critical/pessimistic about my academic attainment so i do hope that is factoring into my post-exam thoughts and I'm also creating false memories about just how badly I did.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's terrifying 😬 like I've either done really well or I've completely flunked it, and it's blo*dy annoying as I know myself that I'm good at those subjects (which is evidenced from internal assessments, AS results, and coursework marks), :angry: I need A*A*A for Cambridge but some of the exams were solid (and sometimes I was just exhausted + have had some personal issues which I've informed my college about) so doubt I'll be seeing you all in autumn

I do kind of feel like exams don't work that well for humanities (at A level anyway), I mean how do they even agree on which points or interpretations are valid/credit worthy. My friend does English at Cam got a B in her AS exam for literature, which seems very odd to me since she's clearly very good. I
Original post by rayofsunshine98
Yeah it was chem, except from the fact I got a 105% yield and the pH question I also made a complete mess of, so it's not looking good. I also made a major hash of most of my maths, although there are issues with teaching in maths, and my tutor is going to write to my college and explain the situation to them, so hopefully if I get like A*A*B with B in maths, they will look relatively favourably on it (I had to teach myself like 90% of the stuff I needed for exams this year in maths).

I've heard about the whole 104% yield, apparently it could be an actual answer but idk, I got 85.3

THAT PH QUESTION WAS SO DUMB. LIKE SERIOUSLY

2 marks for something that would have been 5 marks on paper 1 okkkkkkk

+ what did you mess up in maths (Mine was C4 - the legendary leaked paper in which i actually did terribly)

Latest

Trending

Trending