The Student Room Group

The Grammarly adverts on YouTube are so annoying.

They never stop, it's been the exact same advert for the last hour. I find the whole service ridiculous, why can't people bother to learn correct grammar themselves? There isn't going to be this service when you're doing an oral presentation to your boss, learn how to write properly. It doesn't teach you how to write, it just tells you that something will 'correct' you every time; I'm sure the service will make mistakes.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Glassapple
They never stop, it's been the exact same advert for the last hour. I find the whole service ridiculous, why can't people bother to learn correct grammar themselves? There isn't going to be this service when you're doing an oral presentation to your boss, learn how to write properly. It doesn't teach you how to write, it just tells you that something will 'correct' you every time; I'm sure the service will make mistakes.

I find Grammarly invaluable for when I make a typo or just don't realise I've missed or used superfluous punctuation. And I don't forget commas when I'm talking, and no one can tell I've used the wrong to/too/two or there/their/they're. Chill out!

If you really hate the adverts use the uBlock Origin extension in your browser.
Original post by BigYoSpeck
I find Grammarly invaluable for when I make a typo or just don't realise I've missed or used superfluous punctuation. And I don't forget commas when I'm talking, and no one can tell I've used the wrong to/too/two or there/their/they're. Chill out!

You started a sentence with a connective; Grammarly clearly isn't that helpful to you. You should know when to use to/too/two, it's basic knowledge.
Reply 3
You started a sentence with a connective; Grammarly clearly isn't that helpful to you. You should know when to use to/too/two, it's basic knowledge.

Going all out, bringing the semi colon out
Ngl i've prolly seen that ad like 500 times ;L
You started a sentence with a connective; Grammarly clearly isn't that helpful to you.

Just for you :wink: x
(edited 6 years ago)

Our posts here don't need to be written formally. I start with a connective on here all the time. And what?

This forum could do without you, 24/7 complaining

Just get AdBlock.
Original post by FallenEyelash
Just get AdBlock.

on mob?
Reply 9
I imagine it's pretty useful to non-native speakers and academically challenged folks.
Original post by hezzlington
on mob?

Yeah it's free in the play store
Agreed… my Adblock is no longer blocking the ads either. :sigh:
Original post by FallenEyelash
Just get AdBlock.

I stopped using adblock plus when they started signing deals with advertising companies not to block their adverts effectively turning themselves into a protection racket.

uBlock Origin uses the same basic filters so blocks adverts just as well and also uses fewer system resources while doing so.
I hate how youtube videos are now interrupted sometimes even multiple times during a video with adverts. I liked the good old days when videos did not contain any adverts ... :frown:
I stopped using adblock plus when they started signing deals with advertising companies not to block their adverts effectively turning themselves into a protection racket.

uBlock Origin uses the same basic filters so blocks adverts just as well and also uses fewer system resources while doing so.

Thank you :smile: I may switch to that!

YouTube are pushing for measures to charge people outright for using adblock. Not sure if they'll get that though.

Original post by SGHD26716

LOL PRSOM
Original post by SGHD26716

I use a semicolon in the first paragraph of every assessment and formal piece of writing; it shows the examiner straightaway you know what you're doing.
Original post by cbreef
YouTube are pushing for measures to charge people outright for using adblock. Not sure if they'll get that though.

Youtube has a serious cash flow problem. It's never been profitable and they had a major exodus of advertisers recently due to the number of 'controversial' videos on the site.

They have Youtube Red, and they're trying to attract more conventional content creators to position themselves like Netflix, but I suspect they will always still operate the 'broadcast yourself' model as well because, despite the lack of profit from that arm of the company, they get very valuable user data from both the video content and people's viewing habits.
I use a semicolon in the first paragraph of every assessment and formal piece of writing; it shows the examiner straightaway you know what you're doing.

Pfft! I use a semicolon at the end of every statement. Otherwise, my programs won't compile;
Youtube has a serious cash flow problem. It's never been profitable and they had a major exodus of advertisers recently due to the number of 'controversial' videos on the site.

They have Youtube Red, and they're trying to attract more conventional content creators to position themselves like Netflix, but I suspect they will always still operate the 'broadcast yourself' model as well because, despite the lack of profit from that arm of the company, they get very valuable user data from both the video content and people's viewing habits.

That, and that closing it down would cause worldwide outrage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending