The Student Room Group

Commuting to Univeristy!

Hey, I’m Anna, a second year English Language student at Hallam hoping to break into the world of Marketing upon Graduation!

The commute

Despite the controversy, I decided to commute to my local University rather than taking the ‘plunge’ by moving into student accommodation. Even though I live in the suburbs of Sheffield, my trip to the campus can still take quite a while - ranging from a 30-45-minute journey most days. Purchasing a Uni-rider was a life saver for me, as the ticket grants you access to travel on any tram route or stagecoach bus service in the city. I decided to buy an annual pass that covered all my travel expenses from the beginning of University (September) to the summer break (late June). The ticket cost me roughly £250, but if you're interested, you will be able to browse a variety of passes to suit your travel needs. To find out more information make sure to visit the website - the link is provided below!
https://www.stagecoachbus.com/regionaltickets/yorkshire/sheffield/unirider

My experience so far as a commuter

There is a common assumption that many commuters feel isolated from the University community, however, in my experience, that couldn’t be more wrong! From the very beginning I made friends with fellow course mates who either commuted or lived in student accommodation and made sure that I never missed out on any of the Fresher’s week on-goings. Through the connections I made, I have stayed at friend’s flats after nights out, gone for a nap during our lecture breaks and have even made a pot noodle for dinner once! (Who told you commuters can’t have the full university experience ey?). I feel lucky to be in a position where I can live the ‘University life’ to the full, whilst still being able to see my friends from Sheffield and family on a regular basis. I don’t regret my decision to commute for a second, as it really does give you the best of both.

What are your thoughts on commuting to University? It would be great to get a discussion going about this topic :smile:

Also - please join our Sheffield Hallam commuters Facebook group! The link is below:
https://www.facebook.com/HallamStudentCommuters/
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by annablagg
Hey, I’m Anna, a second year English Language student at Hallam hoping to break into the world of Marketing upon Graduation!

The commute

Despite the controversy, I decided to commute to my local University rather than taking the ‘plunge’ by moving into student accommodation. Even though I live in the suburbs of Sheffield, my trip to the campus can still take quite a while - ranging from a 30-45-minute journey most days. Purchasing a Uni-rider was a life saver for me, as the ticket grants you access to travel on any tram route or stagecoach bus service in the city. I decided to buy an annual pass that covered all my travel expenses from the beginning of University (September) to the summer break (late June). The ticket cost me roughly £250, but if you're interested, you will be able to browse a variety of passes to suit your travel needs. To find out more information make sure to visit the website - the link is provided below!
https://www.stagecoachbus.com/regionaltickets/yorkshire/sheffield/unirider

My experience so far as a commuter

There is a common assumption that many commuters feel isolated from the University community, however, in my experience, that couldn’t be more wrong! From the very beginning I made friends with fellow course mates who either commuted or lived in student accommodation and made sure that I never missed out on any of the Fresher’s week on-goings. Through the connections I made, I have stayed at friend’s flats after nights out, gone for a nap during our lecture breaks and have even made a pot noodle for dinner once! (Who told you commuters can’t have the full university experience ey?). I feel lucky to be in a position where I can live the ‘University life’ to the full, whilst still being able to see my friends from Sheffield and family on a regular basis. I don’t regret my decision to commute for a second, as it really does give you the best of both.

What are your thoughts on commuting to University? It would be great to get a discussion going about this topic :smile:

Also - please join our Sheffield Hallam commuters Facebook group! The link is below:
https://www.facebook.com/HallamStudentCommuters/

I commuted to university during my 4 years of studying, took about 45 minutes door to door. The first 3 years were dead but I found a group of people to hang out with in my final year, through societies. I definitely had a great uni experience in my final year though. I was able to stay at my friend's accommodation a few times so its good to make friends with people living on campus too.

It will be hard for some people, especially first years who are still finding their feet and I'd recommend commuting if the journey time is no more than an hour or so door to door, any more and I don't think the long journey is worth it. Though having said that, there was a guy on my course who travelled 2 hours back and forth (over 4 hours on the train) to uni and home, though because his journey time was long he didn't have much of a social life.
I'll be commuting- like you I live in the outer reaches of the county where I will be attending uni so it will take me between 20-45 minutes (bus is never on time) although if I have an early lecture my partner will give me a lift as my bus pass doesn't work before 9.30 (I've got a disabled concessionary card)
I'm going to do a Masters so I guess that will be a little bit different but if I want a night out I'll likely book a room in the Travelodge. I live far enough out for that to be cheaper than a cab home and because of my disabilities kipping on someone's floor or sofa isn't an option 😂
Original post by UWS
I commuted to university during my 4 years of studying, took about 45 minutes door to door. The first 3 years were dead but I found a group of people to hang out with in my final year, through societies. I definitely had a great uni experience in my final year though. I was able to stay at my friend's accommodation a few times so its good to make friends with people living on campus too.

It will be hard for some people, especially first years who are still finding their feet and I'd recommend commuting if the journey time is no more than an hour or so door to door, any more and I don't think the long journey is worth it. Though having said that, there was a guy on my course who travelled 2 hours back and forth (over 4 hours on the train) to uni and home, though because his journey time was long he didn't have much of a social life.

Hey,

Glad to hear you enjoyed your final year! And I agree, I don't think the journey is worth it if it'll take you over an hour to arrive to Campus.

Which University did you go to? :smile:
Original post by princessmaire80
I'll be commuting- like you I live in the outer reaches of the county where I will be attending uni so it will take me between 20-45 minutes (bus is never on time) although if I have an early lecture my partner will give me a lift as my bus pass doesn't work before 9.30 (I've got a disabled concessionary card)
I'm going to do a Masters so I guess that will be a little bit different but if I want a night out I'll likely book a room in the Travelodge. I live far enough out for that to be cheaper than a cab home and because of my disabilities kipping on someone's floor or sofa isn't an option 😂

Hey,

Your journey time doesn't sound too bad at all! but I get what you mean about public transport - it is never reliable in terms of being on time, ha!

What Masters are you doing?
Hey,

Your journey time doesn't sound too bad at all! but I get what you mean about public transport - it is never reliable in terms of being on time, ha!

What Masters are you doing?

It's not a bad journey 😊I live on the route of the world's most unreliable bus service though 😂
I will be doing an MA in English.
It's not a bad journey 😊I live on the route of the world's most unreliable bus service though 😂
I will be doing an MA in English.

Sounds great! :smile: Which University are you going to?
Sounds great! :smile: Which University are you going to?

Thanks 😊 DeMontfort in Leicester.
Thanks 😊 DeMontfort in Leicester.

Ahh cool, hope you enjoy it! :biggrin:
Reply 9
I'm jealous, a student pass round here is £275 a term. I'm hopefully just gonna buy a motorcycle though and use that, since there's free underground parking right next to the uni. My commute would only be an 8 minute train ride, but then it's a 20 minute walk to the station from my house, and a 15 minute walk to the uni once I get off, which would be a pain to do every day. I would probably consider the public transport option more if it didn't take so long, or if it was as cheap as yours.
I'm currently debating whether or not to spend an hour and half on the bus for around £300 or get a car which would reduce journey times to just half an hour, but obviously is a lot more expensive and I don't think my first instalment of student finance would cut it.
Reply 11
Original post by bethaniteddy
I'm currently debating whether or not to spend an hour and half on the bus for around £300 or get a car which would reduce journey times to just half an hour, but obviously is a lot more expensive and I don't think my first instalment of student finance would cut it.

Look into doing your CBT and get a scooter or a motorcycle. I can get a 125cc Scooter for about £45 a month over the 3 years, and insurance for about £500 for the year if I go for Third Party, Fire and Theft. It's a lot cheaper than a car and you can get through most of the traffic too once you're comfortable with filtering. A 50cc would be even cheaper, but most of them are limited to 30mph due to being made for 16 year olds.
Original post by DJ98
I'm jealous, a student pass round here is £275 a term. I'm hopefully just gonna buy a motorcycle though and use that, since there's free underground parking right next to the uni. My commute would only be an 8 minute train ride, but then it's a 20 minute walk to the station from my house, and a 15 minute walk to the uni once I get off, which would be a pain to do every day. I would probably consider the public transport option more if it didn't take so long, or if it was as cheap as yours.

Ah that sucks! What area is your Uni in? The train journey doesn't sound bad, but I don't think I'd fancy walking for that long so getting a motorcycle sounds like a plan - the free parking is also a massive plus!
Original post by bethaniteddy

The decision is yours, but running a car can be pricey!

Would your bus pass be £300 for the whole University year?
It would be around £300 per term

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending