The Student Room Group

What's everyone's maintenance loan this year? Is this good enough?

My maintenance loan is £4,386. The money I will be getting in the first term is a joke (£1,447). My accommodation costs for the first term is £2,451. The rent cost is double the maintenance loan I will get each term. So now I can't go to my preferred university because of this. Just because my parents work and earn a certain amount of money. Why should a young human being have to pay to have an education? The government expect my parents to provide for me at uni. Guess what, my parents have bills to bloody pay for.

One thing that gets to me is that there are parents out there (not all) that don't work for pathetic reasons and taxpayers pay for their living.

My dream of becoming an architect may well be over.😔 Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith.
Lucky you I get £3928 and I worked everything out and to survive the year I need £1,710 so I'll be getting a job at uni :/
I will be combining my scholarship and maintenance loan as well just to pay for rent. My parents can't afford to give me any money
I'm gonna be getting £3124 but I'm living at home, so they main thing I will be using it for is travelling to uni and placement 😬
You could have worked over the summer to make up the difference like many others do or you could still do part time while you're studying.
I can't say I have much sympathy since your household income is over 50k if you're getting that much.
Your parent's should support you to some extent since you're still living with them. After all, it clearly states the loan is for support and not to live off alone.
If your parents are earning enough money to warrant you getting that loan, they should be able to provide you with financial support for Uni assuming there isn't anything else impacting the situation. It's not as if the money that you pay goes nowhere either.
(edited 6 years ago)
The majority of people get a job while they are studying.
Get a part-time job. Tens of thousands of other students do it; why not you?
Original post by Wubalubadubdubs
If your parents are earning enough money to warrant you getting that loan, they should be able to provide you with financial support for Uni assuming there isn't anything else impacting the situation. It's not as if the money that you pay goes nowhere either.

The majority of the money my parents earn pays the bills. They don't have money to support me at uni.
If you're parents are earning enough that you got that loan, I find it hard to believe that they don't have enough money to support you even after bills. If that's what they've told you, it sounds like rubbish to me. I know families earning a lot less who are still able to support their kids going to Uni, I'm not trying to offend you or be rude but it sounds like they're pulling the wool over your eyes.

Also, like others have said the loan is for support not living off, a large amount of students will get a part time job to compensate.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Cubone-r
The majority of people get a job while they are studying.

Your majorities are always different from those I experience... and I hate it that perhaps your are right. Poor world. Having to work while studying... Nah it can't be as poor people have loans, so they can afford not to work if the money is enough (I don't know if I'd prefer to live on a tight budget or get a job).
Original post by usualsuspects
Your majorities are always different from those I experience... and I hate it that perhaps your are right. Poor world. Having to work while studying... Nah it can't be as poor people have loans, so they can afford not to work if the money is enough (I don't know if I'd prefer to live on a tight budget or get a job).

I come from an average background and so my social circle consists of people (including myself) whose families' household income was less than £25,000. I come from a single-parent home and so do a large chunk of my friends. While the maintenance loans were generous (the max you could get when I was at uni was around £7,300 per year), 3/4s of it went on rent and bills because our families could not afford to pay for it for us. So we had to work to be able to live and to be able to have a social life.

All the part-time jobs I've had during college and university, all the young people working there were studying and came from similar backgrounds to myself. Also, I think it's second nature to me, when I turned 16 my mum told me "right.. you are off down to Sainsbury's to get a job", and ever since then I've had part-time work while studying and I don't think it has held me back really. Plus, it's always nice to have disposable income. Even now, I am doing my part-time job and additionally working as a freelance editor and proofreader.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm postgraduate so will get a loan of £10280. I will have to pay my fees out of that. I am however exceptionally lucky that I live rent free, local to my uni, and have no living costs other than my phone bill and I will also be able to continue claiming PIP.
When I first went to uni in 1999 I had a friend who was exceptionally bitter that her parents were penalised for working as they had to pay for her whereas my fees were covered by my local authority because my parents were on Benefits. I pointed out her parents were loaded (her mum was a senior teacher in a private school and her dad was high up in the Civil Service- lived in a big house, she had a trust fund and was given a car when she passed her test) and that my parents were only on Benefits since my mums work had left her paralysed and wheelchair bound! Dad had just had a hip replacement and so was unable to work. Nothing was handed to me, I worked the whole time I was at uni. I can't work now but I learned never to just expect anything handed to me on a plate.
Reply 13
I received a letter about the date of payment to the institution i'm going to when it comes to tuition. But not maintenance oddly enough.
I was in the same position. I got the minimum loan, my parents gave me £200 a month to help me out and I got three jobs for the rest
Luckily i was in the north of England so things were alot cheaper
I get the max loan and I also get £2k in scholarships. From that I'll be paying about £4500 in rent for the year, living costs etc and I wanna try start saving.

I do think it's crap that they expect parents to pay for their kids, realistically we are required to pay the loans back so I don't see why they can't offer people in your situation higher maintenance loans.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm getting the higher loan amount but that's because it's assessed off my partner's income and we're both mature students (26 & 27). However, we're still both going to be working 24 hours a week at our current job once we start because that's what we have to do! Believe me we don't want to work those hours but to live, we have to, so that's probably what you should do too!
Original post by MorganAchieving
My maintenance loan is £4,386. The money I will be getting in the first term is a joke (£1,447). My accommodation costs for the first term is £2,451. The rent cost is double the maintenance loan I will get each term. So now I can't go to my preferred university because of this. Just because my parents work and earn a certain amount of money. Why should a young human being have to pay to have an education? The government expect my parents to provide for me at uni. Guess what, my parents have bills to bloody pay for.

One thing that gets to me is that there are parents out there (not all) that don't work for pathetic reasons and taxpayers pay for their living.

My dream of becoming an architect may well be over.😔 Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith.

8,600 , my accommodation is almost 7,000 a year and until the start of next year my loan payments equals exactly how much is going out for rent which means ill be eating pot noodles for 5 months haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending