The Student Room Group

Self-funding questions

Asking for my boyfriend.

He started at Uni of Leeds in September 2022, and dropped out at the end of the 2nd term (April 2023). He then started at a different uni last month (September 2023) and is going to drop out soon. He will then be reapplying for September 2024 entry at a different uni and will do his 3 year degree there.

We have a couple of questions:

1. Am I right in thinking that he will still receive full funding, as overall he has only had a year’s worth so far (2 terms from one uni, 1 term from another)? I know everyone gets a “grace year” but unsure what happens in this case where it is only a year of funding received but with a gap between.

2. What about his maintenance loan? Will he receive that still?

3. If he does not receive full funding, and therefore will have to at least partly fund his first year, how much should he aim to save in order to cover that? As in, how much will he be paying if he goes to uni in September 2024?

Thank you in advance.
Original post by kwikmaffs
Asking for my boyfriend.

He started at Uni of Leeds in September 2022, and dropped out at the end of the 2nd term (April 2023). He then started at a different uni last month (September 2023) and is going to drop out soon. He will then be reapplying for September 2024 entry at a different uni and will do his 3 year degree there.

We have a couple of questions:

1. Am I right in thinking that he will still receive full funding, as overall he has only had a year’s worth so far (2 terms from one uni, 1 term from another)? I know everyone gets a “grace year” but unsure what happens in this case where it is only a year of funding received but with a gap between.

2. What about his maintenance loan? Will he receive that still?

3. If he does not receive full funding, and therefore will have to at least partly fund his first year, how much should he aim to save in order to cover that? As in, how much will he be paying if he goes to uni in September 2024?

Thank you in advance.

Hi there,

What is the name of the course and university he's looking to study? It would be 2 years of previous study even if it's not a full year he's previously studied. We'll be able to further assist when you confirm the new course and whether this is full or part time? Thanks, Jason
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

What is the name of the course and university he's looking to study? It would be 2 years of previous study even if it's not a full year he's previously studied. We'll be able to further assist when you confirm the new course and whether this is full or part time? Thanks, Jason

It’s BA Philosophy at Lancaster University, full time course.

So he’ll have to pay the full tuition fees himself? Will he be entitled to maintenance loan?
It’s BA Philosophy at Lancaster University, full time course.

So he’ll have to pay the full tuition fees himself? Will he be entitled to maintenance loan?

He would be entitled to the maintenance loan if he's a UK national (or has settled status). For the fees, the first year would be blocked unless he has CPR evidence as to why he previously was unable to complete this course. I've enclosed further information here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year Thanks, Jason
He would be entitled to the maintenance loan if he's a UK national (or has settled status). For the fees, the first year would be blocked unless he has CPR evidence as to why he previously was unable to complete this course. I've enclosed further information here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year Thanks, Jason

Thanks, appreciate it.

Just to confirm, he would definitely get the maintenance loan all the way through his degree? He would just need to pay the first year’s tuition fees?
Thanks, appreciate it.

Just to confirm, he would definitely get the maintenance loan all the way through his degree? He would just need to pay the first year’s tuition fees?

Yes, the maintenance loan isn't affected by previous study as long as he doesn't gain a qualification previously. Thanks, Jason
Yes, the maintenance loan isn't affected by previous study as long as he doesn't gain a qualification previously. Thanks, Jason

Okay thank you very much, we appreciate it.
Okay thank you very much, we appreciate it.

You're welcome. Have a good day. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending