The Student Room Group

I've decided to become atheist AMA

Scroll to see replies

Ah, why do they call the theory the Big Bang then? Also, is the idea that everything was compacted into one point wrong then - the singularity is just the idea that the galaxies were just a 'lot closer together' because that seems incredibly vague? Again, if the universe contracting is dependent on the amount of mass in the universe (which you're saying is unknown), then why do scientists say that this theory cannot explain the motion of the universe?

I am an atheist and absolutely agree with all your points and this is why i like to challenge people's beliefs and hopefully convert theists into atheists. The Bible is just one of many scriptures containing ridiculous statements which can clearly be proved untrue (the main example being the 'miracles' which lots of Christians believe in or just say that they're to be taken metaphorically - 'God gave us free will and therefore doesn't perform miracles because he doesn't want to interfere with our lives' is one of many arguments even though one third of God (the Son) performed so-called 'miracles' in an age where, like you say, people thought the sun orbited around the Earth and people believed in witchcraft).

Thank you for your reply! :biggrin:
Original post by Robby2312
The big bang was not an explosion,thats a misconception.We observe that the universe is expanding so at some point there must have been a point at which all the galaxies were a lot closer together which is the singularity. Thats just logical.As for whether it should begin to contract that is dependent upon the amount of mass in the universe which is unknown because we do not know how much dark matter there is.

I find it hard to believe in a god because the biblical god is quite clearly a god invented for a time when this world was all there was.The planets and the stars orbited the earth which was the most important place.Now we know that's not true because we know the earth is just a speck around a star which is just one of many in a galaxy which is just one of billions.It seems quite clear from science that we are not nearly as significant as the authors of the bible would have us believe.
So do you believe in God or nah?
Original post by ClearSky
So do you believe in God or nah?

I thought the OP made it quite clear that they are now Mormon.
Be honest. Would you find it odd to be my friend because I don't have the same beliefs as you (you being an atheist)?
Original post by Lisa.Williams
Ah, why do they call the theory the Big Bang then? Also, is the idea that everything was compacted into one point wrong then - the singularity is just the idea that the galaxies were just a 'lot closer together' because that seems incredibly vague? Again, if the universe contracting is dependent on the amount of mass in the universe (which you're saying is unknown), then why do scientists say that this theory cannot explain the motion of the universe?

I am an atheist and absolutely agree with all your points and this is why i like to challenge people's beliefs and hopefully convert theists into atheists. The Bible is just one of many scriptures containing ridiculous statements which can clearly be proved untrue (the main example being the 'miracles' which lots of Christians believe in or just say that they're to be taken metaphorically - 'God gave us free will and therefore doesn't perform miracles because he doesn't want to interfere with our lives' is one of many arguments even though one third of God (the Son) performed so-called 'miracles' in an age where, like you say, people thought the sun orbited around the Earth and people believed in witchcraft).

Thank you for your reply! :biggrin:

Why is the well-established theory that the universe expanded from a compact point so unbelievable to you?

The singularity is not the notion that the galaxies were very compact, the singularity itself would have been very, very compact, possibly smaller than the size of an atom. So in that state, clearly things like galaxies, stars etc would not have existed. Not even particles existed, they could only form after the expansion and once the universe has cooled sufficiently.
Original post by Dragon5555
Be honest. Would you find it odd to be my friend because I don't have the same beliefs as you (you being an atheist)?

Obviously I can't speak on behalf of the OP, but you'll find that, in general, atheists are more tolerant to religious individuals than many give them credit for. To go one step further, I often say that atheists tend to be more tolerant (than religious peeps) in this regard.
Original post by _gcx
I thought the OP made it quite clear that they are now Mormon.

He might still half believe in a god though :lol: or have doubts sometimes...
Btw I didn't mean to trigger you :erm: sorry if that was offensive :dontknow:
Original post by _gcx
Obviously I can't speak on behalf of the OP, but you'll find that, in general, atheists are more tolerant to religious individuals than many give them credit for. To go one step further, I often say that atheists tend to be more tolerant (than religious peeps) in this regard.

From past experience, I find that very hard to believe.
He might still half believe in a god though :lol: or have doubts sometimes...
Btw I didn't mean to trigger you :erm: sorry if that was offensive :dontknow:

wat u triggering me for
Reply 29
Is this the worst AMA in TSR history?
Original post by _gcx
wat u triggering me for

I was asking stupid questions....?

Original post by SGHD26716
Is this the worst AMA in TSR history?

Have you forgotten:

1. I blinked, AMA!!!!

2. 60 year old woman on a student forum here, I voted leave - AMA!

3. Dropped my ice cream - AMA!

The list goes on...
I was asking stupid questions....?

Have you forgotten:

1. I blinked, AMA!!!!

The list goes on...

why do people take my posts at face value -.-
Reply 32

Have you forgotten:

1. I blinked, AMA!!!!

The list goes on...

Did the OP answer at least one question?

If they did, this one is worse.
Original post by SGHD26716
Did the OP answer at least one question?

If they did, this one is worse.

Ice cream one didn't get answered, I think.
60 y.o. woman who couldn't spell her name did tho.

God, OP hasn't appeared since he posted this thread :toofunny:
Ice cream one didn't get answered, I think.
60 y.o. woman who couldn't spell her name did tho.

God, OP hasn't appeared since he posted this thread :toofunny:

You make me laugh. A lot.
So what was compacted into such a small amount of space - less than the diameter of a single atom - and how on earth could something so small create absolutely everything? By the way, i'm not saying that it's impossible seeing as i only know the basics (hence the questions), i'm just trying to understand.

I know that the life cycle of a star requires tremendous amounts of high pressure gravity and helium to undergo nuclear fusion, however, there must have been other elements other than helium in this singularity in order to create compounds and mixtures. Also, for stars which are bigger than our sun, they undergo a supernova and in this process create elements heavier than iron. Does this mean that iron was also in this singularity? If the space was so tiny, then how did a massive impact occur if stars that are the size of our sun (which is obviously much larger than an atom) can only experience a red giant, a white dwarf then a brown dwarf (and the end of its existence) without creating another galaxy?

Thanks for your reply!
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Why is the well-established theory that the universe expanded from a compact point so unbelievable to you?

The singularity is not the notion that the galaxies were very compact, the singularity itself would have been very, very compact, possibly smaller than the size of an atom. So in that state, clearly things like galaxies, stars etc would not have existed. Not even particles existed, they could only form after the expansion and once the universe has cooled sufficiently.
You make me laugh. A lot.

Aww, that's nice of you :hugs:
It's true tho - she couldn't spell!

@Maragaret Hewitt - her name's Margaret :lol:

Oh - nice colour change :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Lisa.Williams
So what was compacted into such a small amount of space - less than the diameter of a single atom - and how on earth could something so small create absolutely everything?

All the matter/energy that makes up everything was compacted into an infinitely small point. You might have learnt that most of what we think of as solid is 99.9% empty space. The singularity can basically be envisaged as what would be left if all the "empty" space could be removed from the universe.

I know that the life cycle of a star requires tremendous amounts of high pressure gravity and helium to undergo nuclear fusion, however, there must have been other elements other than helium in this singularity in order to create compounds and mixtures. Also, for stars which are bigger than our sun, they undergo a supernova and in this process create elements heavier than iron. Does this mean that iron was also in this singularity? If the space was so tiny, then how did a massive impact occur if stars that are the size of our sun (which is obviously much larger than an atom) can only experience a red giant, a white dwarf then a brown dwarf (and the end of its existence) without creating another galaxy?

The singularity contained no compounds, because it was too compact and presumably too hot for even atoms to form. I'm not sure we can even describe the physical properties of the singularities as our physics and maths break down when we deal with something like that. But i guess the best imagery would be a seething ball of plasma. It was only after the initial expansion, that hydrogen atoms could form and gravity compacted these to make stars. Stars then fused hydrogen to form helium and heavier elements were formed in supernovae.
Aww, that's nice of you :hugs:
It's true tho - she couldn't spell!

@Maragaret Hewitt - her name's Margaret :lol:

Oh - nice colour change :smile:

Haha, Maragaret though :rofl:
Wow! That's very interesting. I'm sure you can understand where i'm coming from in the sense that it's quite difficult to believe - not understand - but believe is factual.

May i ask if you're doing physics as A Level? I absolutely LOVE physics (it was my strongest subject at school) but unfortunately not taking it at A Level. :frown:
All the matter/energy that makes up everything was compacted into an infinitely small point. You might have learnt that most of what we think of as solid is 99.9% empty space. The singularity can basically be envisaged as what would be left if all the "empty" space could be removed from the universe.

The singularity contained no compounds, because it was too compact and presumably too hot for even atoms to form. I'm not sure we can even describe the physical properties of the singularities as our physics and maths break down when we deal with something like that. But i guess the best imagery would be a seething ball of plasma. It was only after the initial expansion, that hydrogen atoms could form and gravity compacted these to make stars. Stars then fused hydrogen to form helium and heavier elements were formed in supernovae.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending