The Student Room Group

I've decided to become atheist AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YourGoddamnRight
Imagine if an animal was inside a building and the smoke alarm went off due to a fire, but this fire was not visible to the animal. The animal would stay there because it is thinking that it can't see anything, therefore, theres nothing there.

However, when a human is in that building they would just have to hear it before they would get out the building.

All you need is faith know that although you can't hear him( royal him) he can hear you and is all knowing of what you do, and we will all be brought back to him.

Also, imagine this: There is nothing in front of you. Then a person comes behind you and says there is a robber in front of you. You see nothing there - and you tell that to the other person. But they insist that there is and insist that you give the robber your money as he has a gun to your head.

You have to pathways now.

Theists give the "robber" money.
Atheists use reason and do not.
Original post by LostYouth
Not really. I'm just relying on well-known Biblical authority. For example, Romans 5:12 - 6:23 (ESV).

Issue is, I am not a bible guy. But DarkMatter2525 is.
Also, imagine this: There is nothing in front of you. Then a person comes behind you and says there is a robber in front of you. You see nothing there - and you tell that to the other person. But they insist that there is and insist that you give the robber your money as he has a gun to your head.

You have to pathways now.

Theists give the "robber" money.
Atheists use reason and do not.

No, theists dont give the robber money, and thats very insulting to use the word robber for God. BTW when someone resorts to using insults in ones comments, it is a sign that they have lost, lol. God is the most loving and he has shown all the signs needed for someone to believe but atheists hearts are harder than stones, metaphorically, and possibly literally. There is nothing that humans can do to change your mind about your beliefs.

How are you going to face God, when he asks you everything about your life, believe me, even for the believers, when the first question is asked by God, they will feel like their bones shatter to pieces inside of them. So how will you stand before the countenance of your Lord?
No, theists dont give the robber money, and thats very insulting to use the word robber for God. BTW when someone resorts to using insults in ones comments, it is a sign that they have lost, lol. God is the most loving and he has shown all the signs needed for someone to believe but atheists hearts are harder than stones, metaphorically, and possibly literally. There is nothing that humans can do to change your mind about your beliefs.

How are you going to face God, when he asks you everything about your life, believe me, even for the believers, when the first question is asked by God, they will feel like their bones shatter to pieces inside of them. So how will you stand before the countenance of your Lord?

I apologise for the insolence you misinterpreted. I am simply giving a metaphor. For all that is important, the "robber" could be a charity worker.
How did the big bang just start by itself when 0+0 =/= 1

Who said the Big Bang came from nothing? By the way, what did your god create everything from?

when the first question is asked by God, they will feel like their bones shatter to pieces inside of them.

And this is how someone who is the most loving/forgiving/perfect etc. makes you feel??
Reply 106
It's OP again, after 10 days absence, and FYI I'm a she not a he. I made te thread as an AMA but then went on holiday to somewhere with horrendous wifi (I'm still out here but for the second week we're in another villa with better wifi) hence my inactivity. I've scrolled through the thread which has turned into an intense discussion about the BBT (I think) and evolution, and it reminded me why I like TSR for the interesting blend of bants and intellectual discussions. Anyway, to answer questions about why I don't believe in God anymore it's because *****y *****y things have happened in the last year, not principally to me but to my friends who are Christians- they said God has done such things for a reason but the said things are so unbelievably **** I struggle to find any logic to why any good God would have done it "for a reason". It seemed to me they were simply using God as an excuse- why would you worship a God who punishes you for only being a good Christian (unless I misinterpret the role of God, which may be so. God perhaps has different roles for different people). In addition, the state of the world itself makes me question the existence of a God- how and why would he enable or allow such things to happen? It seems at present religion is causing more hatred than love. Secondly, to answer the question about not being Christian to begin with, I was brought up vaguely Christian (baptised, went to church sporadically, went to a church school etc), went through intermittent phases of wanting to be more religious, and I have now decided to become atheist as I just don't believe in God for the above reasons. I'm an avid believer of the BBT and of evolution too because someone asked me that I think. And I love roasted parsnips, since someone else asked me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Who said the Big Bang came from nothing? By the way, what did your god create everything from?

Do you know what the big bang came from?

When he says "be" to something, bro, it happens.

Original post by applesforme
And this is how someone who is the most loving/forgiving/perfect etc. makes you feel??

Bro, it removes the sins they have committed in life, his mercy is beyond comprehension, but he is also the most just. It's said to save some people from the torment of hell, because that punishment would be enough.

Original post by Onde
You seem to think that I should fear god, and that I should fear god more than my own conscience. This shows that you do not follow truth or virtue for its own sake, but act primarily on what something else tells you.

Fearing God is good, because it is a sign of true faith, once you fear God, then the blessings come. He loves you 70x more than your own mothers do.

I feel sorry for you all, and hope that you will all be led onto the right path.
(edited 6 years ago)
Do you know what the big bang came from?

When he says "be" to something, bro, it happens..

We know the Big Bang was the expansion of a singularity. Where this came from, and possibly whether it was eternal, is currently unknown. But science will probably one day have the answer and current lack of knowledge does not make "God did it" a plausible explanation.

OK, so you're affirming that God can create things out of nothing. But weren't you earlier trying to ridicule the idea of the BB coming from nothing? You can't have it both ways, if God can create things from nothing then by the same argument the universe can come from nothing.
We know the Big Bang was the expansion of a singularity. Where this came from, and possibly whether it was eternal, is currently unknown. But science will probably one day have the answer and current lack of knowledge does not make "God did it" a plausible explanation.

OK, so you're affirming that God can create things out of nothing. But weren't you earlier trying to ridicule the idea of the BB coming from nothing? You can't have it both ways, if God can create things from nothing then by the same argument the universe can come from nothing.

God created the big bang, and he is expanding it, nothing happens without God allowing it to happen. God has created everything, from sub atomic particles and smaller to things that we will never find out, unless we get into paradise.

The universe cant make anything bro, God creates things from nothing.
God created the big bang, and he is expanding it, nothing happens without God allowing it to happen. God has created everything, from sub atomic particles and smaller to things that we will never find out, unless we get into paradise.

The universe cant make anything bro, God creates things from nothing.

So in short, you're resorting to the Special Pleading fallacy and unsubstantiated claims. We've seen and heard these all before.
On the contrary, seeing you say this makes me pity you. To think you'll love your entire life in fear of a non-existent deity just because you've been indoctrinated to do so is very sad. I've been in that position because I too was raised religious, but I'm so thankful I broke out of that psychological and emotional blackmail.

I sincerely hope Thor guides you onto the straight and narrow.

I was born religious, then became an atheist, then reverted back. You see fear and love as two very distant feelings whereas I see them almost as the same thing. Once you fear God, you love him, and his love for you is beyond comprehension. But God will put trials in front of you to see how strong your faith is, but clearly your faith was too small.
(edited 6 years ago)
So in short, you're resorting to the Special Pleading fallacy and unsubstantiated claims. We've seen and heard these all before.

lol what?
lol what?

You're making claims about God, which you have no evidence for (unsubstantiated claims).

You are also engaging in the Special Pleading fallacy (it is impossible for things to come nothing, except God and his magic powers).
I was born religious, then became an atheist, then reverted back. You see fear and love as two very distant feelings whereas I see them almost as the same thing. Once you fear God, you love him, and his love for you is beyond comprehension. But God will put trials in front of you to see how strong your faith is, but clearly your faith was too small.

Honestly, you do not give an explanation to God, yet you continue to ask about science's grounds?
I respect your beliefs, but humbly ask you to not belittle our "faith", because quite clearly, we atheists have a lot of "faith" in science. I do not seek your supernatural deity's blessings or forgiveness. And please do not describe your God as the only true one. If I were to convert back, it would be to Islam, because it does not have as many logical flaws as Christianity.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by eam0ss
I was baptised CofE although was brought up in a fairly agnostic home where we sporadically went to church. I did go through phases of wanting actively to be Christian- partly due to the influence of my Christian school- but I've decided now that I do not believe in God. AMA.

Well done, welcome to the real world. A world backed my science and fact, not mindless ideologies.
Honestly, you do not give an explanation to God, yet to continue to ask about science's grounds?
I respect your beliefs, but humbly ask you to not belittle are "faith", because quite clearly, we atheists have a lot of "faith" in science. I do not seek your supernatural deity's blessings or forgiveness. And please do not describe your God as the only true one. If I were to convert back, it would be to Islam, because it does not have as many logical flaws as Christianity.

Hey, I'm just as curious and passionate about science as the next guy. But there are some things which contradict that I do not believe in (like evolution). I'm not belittling anyone's faith, I was saying that Plantagenets' faith at the time was not very strong, through the use of the word "was". Therefore it could be the reason for his disbelief in God.

Bro, im not a Christian so I don't know why you brought that in. Convert to Islam, why have no faith instead of little faith in Allah. Just a little faith in Allah and his oneness would make it like so easy to get into paradise.
But God will put trials in front of you to see how strong your faith is, but clearly your faith was too small.

Well exactly, I have no faith in Allah because there's no evidence for his existence.
Hey, I'm just as curious and passionate about science as the next guy. But there are some things which contradict that I do not believe in (like evolution). I'm not belittling anyone's faith, I was saying that Plantagenets' faith at the time was not very strong, through the use of the word "was". Therefore it could be the reason for his disbelief in God.

Bro, im not a Christian so I don't know why you brought that in. Convert to Islam, why have no faith instead of little faith in Allah. Just a little faith in Allah and his oneness would make it like so easy to get into paradise.

My apologies for my unjust assumption on your religion.
Well exactly, I have no faith in Allah because there's no evidence for his existence and it's obvious he was invented by Muhammad.

How could Muhammad who was in fact unlettered, create Allah, how could he have written the Quran?

How could he have known about the human embryo?

in the Quran the word used for embryo has 3 meanings, leech, bloodclot, and suspended.

Alaqa is the word used for the embryo.

"Then we made the drop into an Alaqa"

in the earliest stages of the human embryo:

or the two seas that do not cross?

"He has let loose the two seas (the salt water and the sweet) meeting together. Between them is a barrier which none of them can transgress"

Or the orbit of planets and other things, or how they spin to create night and day?

"It is he who created the night and the day and the sun and the moon, each in an orbit flow."

how could he have known about the big bang? and it's expansion?

"then We clove them asunder"

"And the heaven We constructed with strength, and indeed, We are [its] expander."

And btw, the Quran has remained the same for 1400 years, it wasn't revealed as a book, it was revealed through Gabriel who taught the Quran through speech.

Is that not enough for you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending