The Student Room Group

Why doesnt England have its own cultral food?

I cant even say Roast Dinner is British as Im sure many countries eat meat potatoe and veg on a plate and dont call it a roast. Only thing we can claim is fish n chips.. all thats left is a few pastries like pasties. Quite **** really.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Got Milk
I cant even say Roast Dinner is British as Im sure many countries eat meat potatoe and veg on a plate and dont call it a roast. Only thing we can claim is fish n chips.. all thats left is a few pastries like pasties. Quite **** really.

This might be bait but just to prove you're wrong:

Pan Haggerty
Melton Mowbray Pork Pies
A traditional Sunday Roast is British - it was traditionally eaten on a Sunday after church services from the 18th Century.
Spotted **** (lol).
Sausage & Mash
Cornish Pasties
Yorkshire puddings
Crumpets
English breakfast
Cottage pie
English Muffins
Bubble and Squeak
Eton Mess
Scotch eggs
Piccalilli
Toad in the hole
Scones
Afternoon tea
Sticky toffee pudding
Shephard's pie...

The list goes on...

We also have Anglo-Indian dishes such as chicken-tikka masala.

This is also not mentioning cultural dishes that are native to the other home nations (i.e. NI, Wales, and Scotland).
(edited 6 years ago)
Is it salted and boiled?

Good, it's "English" food now.

:x
Original post by artful_lounger
Is it salted and boiled?

Good, it's "English" food now.

:x

What foods are they?
Original post by Cubone-r
What foods are they?

If you salt and boil anything it becomes English. Cabbage? Bam, English. Lamb? English. Robert Downey Jr? Where do you think we got Bendaryl Cabbagepatch?

You just have to make it as blaaaaaaaaaaand as possible. So don't overdo the salt. One grain is usually more than sufficient.
If you salt and boil anything it becomes English. Cabbage? Bam, English. Lamb? English. Robert Downey Jr? Where do you think we got Bendaryl Cabbagepatch?

You just have to make it as blaaaaaaaaaaand as possible. So don't overdo the salt. One grain is usually more than sufficient.

Lol, nice troll.

Pan Haggerty
Melton Mowbray Pork Pies
A traditional Sunday Roast is British - it was traditionally eaten on a Sunday after church services from the 18th Century.
Spotted **** (lol).
Sausage & Mash
Cornish Pasties
Yorkshire puddings
Crumpets
English breakfast
Cottage pie
English Muffins
Bubble and Squeak
Eton Mess
Scotch eggs
Piccalilli
Toad in the hole
Scones
Afternoon tea
Sticky toffee pudding
Shephard's pie...

The list goes on...

This is also not mentioning cultural dishes that are native to the other home nations (i.e. NI, Wales, and Scotland).

got milk posting bait? no way.
Lol, nice troll.

Facetiousness aside, 5 of the list you provided are literally what I described.

Also "picalili" is not a British dish, it's a *******ization of a traditional Indian dish.

I'd also argue several of the other things on your list are variants of the same dish, and the idea that "afternoon tea" is somehow a "dish" is absurd. Plus, the drink of tea originates in India and China - you now, the former that we colonised partly to take advantage of this, and the latter that Britain maintained lucrative trade connections with throughout much of it's history.

Pan Haggerty
Melton Mowbray Pork Pies
Spotted **** (lol).
Sausage & Mash
Cornish Pasties
Yorkshire puddings
Crumpets
English breakfast
Cottage pie
English Muffins
Bubble and Squeak
Eton Mess
Scotch eggs
Piccalilli
Toad in the hole
Scones
Afternoon tea
Sticky toffee pudding
Shephard's pie...

The list goes on...

If its by Got Milk then its very much likely going to be bait.

Also "picalili" is not a British dish, it's a *******ization of a traditional Indian dish.

I'd also argue several of the other things on your list are variants of the same dish, and the idea that "afternoon tea" is somehow a "dish" is absurd. Plus, the drink of tea originates in India and China - you now, the former that we colonised partly to take advantage of this, and the latter that Britain maintained lucrative trade connections with throughout much of it's history.

You do realise that's how most cultural food comes about - through interpretation, inspiration, and taking ideas from other cuisines to create your own. It has happened for thousands of years - people traveled, ate other people's food and came back to their home countries and said "hey guys, this food is good, lets make our own version".

The thread states cultural food - not cultural dishes; so I thought both could be included.
(edited 6 years ago)
HP Sauce. Don't know how the rest of the world copes without it. :smile:

P.S. I don't think you even know what "afternoon tea" is as it is a meal/dish.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_(meal)#Afternoon_tea
P.S. I don't think you even know what "afternoon tea" is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_(meal)#Afternoon_tea

A meal is not a food, nor is it a dish.

I'm aware of what it is, but tea is Indian or Chinese, versions of foods identical or near identical to scones have existed in many cultures as the basic idea of a quickbread that is made without yeast is not uncommon, and sandwiches are of debatable origin but it can be almost universally agreed that they're definitely not uniquely originating in England or restricted to England in modern forms of food. Also most modernly consumed pastries originated in continental Europe. Like, as a concept it's fine, but trying to suggest any aspect of it is purely an English invention and that it isn't simply a combination of foodstuffs co-opted from it's former colonies for the benefit of the imperialists is silly.

Watching British people try and ascribe to themselves some greater meaning and culture on the basis of their imperial acquisitions in years previous is like watching Americans puff up their chests because they're from Boston which is FOUR HUNDRED years old, when there are many cities in the Middle East which have been continually inhabited for millenia (until the aforementioned American's imperialism desotryed the geopoltiical stability in the pursuit of unsustainable resources and cheap political power plays, and to prop up it's failing manufacturing industries through contrived wars).

It's just so...déclassé. Have some self respect. Jeez. The social and cultural artefacts of Colonial and Imperial Britain are an embarrassment, at best.
(edited 6 years ago)
A meal is not a food, nor is it a dish.

I'm aware of what it is, but tea is Indian or Chinese, versions of foods identical or near identical to scones have existed in many cultures as the basic idea of a quickbread that is made without yeast is not uncommon, and sandwiches are of debatable origin but it can be almost universally agreed that they're definitely not uniquely originating in England or restricted to England in modern forms of food. Also most modernly consumed pastries originated in continental Europe.

Like, as a concept it's fine, but trying to suggest any aspect of it is purely an English invention and that it isn't simply a combination of foodstuffs co-opted from it's colonies for the benefit of the imperialists is silly.

Watching British people try and ascribe to themselves some greater meaning and culture on the basis of their imperial acquisitions in years previous is like watching Americans puff up their chests because they're from Boston which is FOUR HUNDRED years old, when there are many cities in the Middle East which have been continually inhabited for millenia (until the aforementioned American's imperialism desotryed the geopoltiical stability in the pursuit of unsustainable resources and cheap political power plays, and to prop up it's failing manufacturing industries through contrived wars).

It's just so...déclassé. Have some self respect. Jeez.

So what you're basically saying is I cannot be proud of where I come from? Okay, thanks.
So what you're basically saying is I cannot be proud of where I come from? Okay, thanks.

I'm asking a question to try and understand your argument - I didn't suggest you were arguing for it.
I'm asking a question to try and understand your argument - I didn't suggest you were arguing for it.

My argument is that you can't call something that is a product of colonialism, taken and co-opted from a culture which has cultivated that practice, convention, or whatever for often thousands of years, and claim that it is your own culture's.

There's no reason you can't enjoy it. But don't go around trumpeting how it's quintessentially British and and example of the heights of British culture.

I mean...most of modern Britain, culture or otherwise, is attributable to the Roman Empire anyway.
I love how so many British people make such a big deal of fish and chips and Sunday roast like they are something special when so many other countries around the world fry fish and roast meat and don't think of it as culinary excellence, just the average dinner.
My argument is that you can't call something that is a product of colonialism, taken and co-opted from a culture which has cultivated that practice, convention, or whatever for often thousands of years, and claim that it is your own culture's.

There's no reason you can't enjoy it. But don't go around trumpeting how it's quintessentially British and and example of the heights of British culture.

I mean...most of modern Britain, culture or otherwise, is attributable to the Roman Empire anyway.

That is a fair and well articulated argument, and I agree with it. However, I am not "trumpeting" it around how these foods are quintessentially British as you suggest. I have said they are a part of British culture - which they are.

However, there are foods that are not a product of colonialism and are British. Such as the Yorkshire pudding, Pan Haggerty, Sticky Toffee Pudding, Shephard's pie, for example.
(edited 6 years ago)
I think both steak and kidney and chicken and mushroom pies are great. Put them with mustard mash and you're good to go.

Quick Reply

Latest