Son got mackinder his first choice , came through yesterday so really quick
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by Mumofson
Son got mackinder his first choice , came through yesterday so really quick

Hi,

I'm glad the process was nice and quick!

Ben :smile:
Second Year Human and Physical Geography
Hey does anyone know how the flat codes work for Windsor Halls? For example what does room 7 w1:1 mean?
Original post by unihelp98
Hey does anyone know how the flat codes work for Windsor Halls? For example what does room 7 w1:1 mean?

Hi,

I stayed in St. George's Hall and the system there was as follows:
Block Name, Floor Number, Room Number. I would imagine that Windsor have a similar system but this is not something that you need to worry about as it will all be explained to you.

If this is really bugging you, I would recommend contacting the accommodation team through the following email address: [email protected]

Feel free to ask any other questions you have and we will do our best to answer!

Dan :smile:
First Year Student Ambassador
Hey guys

I have a two part question.

1) Why is Benyon Hall 38 weeks when Sherfield and Mackinder are 40 weeks?

2) I haven't received an email regarding my accommodation yet but in the accommodation portal it says my offer for Benyon Hall has been withdrawn. Should I be concerned?

Any information would be useful.

Thanks in advance
My son had Reading as his firm choice and his place has been confirmed. He submitted his preferred choices for accommodation months ago. When should he expect to hear what accommodation he has be allocated?Anxious mother
My son had Reading as his firm choice and his place has been confirmed. He submitted his preferred choices for accommodation months ago. When should he expect to hear what accommodation he has be allocated?Anxious mother
Original post by Zaki Hendrix
Hey guys

2) I haven't received an email regarding my accommodation yet but in the accommodation portal it says my offer for Benyon Hall has been withdrawn. Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance

OMG the exact same thing has happened to me. I rang up the accommodation office this morning and was told that it should be fine - it just means the system is reallocating rooms or something.. Glad to know it's not just me!
Original post by Zaki Hendrix
Hey guys

Thanks in advance

Hi :smile:

1. 38 weeks means a slightly cheaper tenancy and that your contract finishes just after exams finish Where as the 40 week ones give you a couple of extra weeks after exams!

2. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I'd say it was a mistake on the system that they put down the wrong hall and that's why they haven't sent you an email yet. However, if you'd like to chase this up I'd recommend emailing the accommodation team so you can know for sure why it says withdrawn.
Here is the email: [email protected]

Hope this helped! Any further questions feel free to ask!

Sophie
Second Year Philosophy student :smile:
Original post by Anxious mother

I know it is a tense time!

The university start sending offers out after results day. So, it should be any time now! I wouldn't worry, they may just have a lot of students to go through.

Here is the email if you would like to make a direct enquiry to the accommodation team.
[email protected]

Any further questions feel free to ask!

Sophie
Second year Philosophy student :smile:
Reply 170
I've received an offer for stenton townhouses but I'm worried that there will be barely any new undergraduates as it says there is limited places for them? Also in my townhouse will it just be first years? Would love some extra information on the stenton townhouses, thank you!
Unfortunately my daughter didn't get any of her 5 choices and has ended up in catered accommodation.
She's in St Patrick so was wondering how many students share the bathroom and the kitchenette?
Original post by Bethk19
I've received an offer for stenton townhouses but I'm worried that there will be barely any new undergraduates as it says there is limited places for them? Also in my townhouse will it just be first years? Would love some extra information on the stenton townhouses, thank you!

Hey! :smile:

Well done on receiving your offer! I actually lived in Bridges Townhouses in first year (the same style as Stenton but on the other side of campus!) I lived in an entire house of undergraduates and we were all first years.The accommodation office are really good and try to get a good mix of students, so they will aim to put all of the postgraduates in a townhouse together and townhouses full of undergraduates.

You may be in a mix of both postgraduates and undergraduates, but you won't be the only undergraduate!

I really liked the set up of the townhouses, you share with 12 people so the whole of the bottom floor is your living area (kitchen, table, chairs and sofa) and then there are 3 floors each with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. As you only share your bathroom with one other person it is really nice! You also have a cleaner once a week in the communal areas (including your bathroom) and the bins get changed every day!

You are super close to centre of campus and Park Bar which is a really sociable area in the evenings!

If you have anymore questions please let me know, but hope this helps!

Alice :h:
Food Science Placement Student
Reply 173
Original post by Bethk19

I also got an offer for Stenton townhouses (first year too) and I'm worried about the same thing :frown: I really hope they put first years together!

Also does anyone have any idea when we will find out our actual room/house as I would like to try and see if I can find people in the same townhouse as me before I go?

Original post by Historylady
Unfortunately my daughter didn't get any of her 5 choices and has ended up in catered accommodation.
She's in St Patrick so was wondering how many students share the bathroom and the kitchenette?

Hello :smile:

Congratulations to your daughter for getting into Reading, hope she will love it as much as I do (I am currently on my food science placement year!).

I had friends last year who didn't get their accommodation choices so ended up in catered accommodation too but they actually really enjoyed it and found it very sociable. You often find that the flats will go down for dinner together or you meet people from other blocks in the eating places so it is a good way to make friends in the first few weeks.

In terms of how many people share the kitchenette, I am not entirely sure as this varies depending on the hall but I imagine it might be 10. To confirm, you could email the accommodation office as they will know for definite, their e-mail is: [email protected]

Hope this helps reassure you, and if you or your daughter have anymore questions then please feel free to ask!

Alice :h:
Food Science Placement Student
Reply 175
Original post by Historylady

Same thing happened with my son. He found out today that he'd been allocated a catered washbasin room in Windsor Halls. These halls weren't on his list, and he had hoped for self-catered en-suite. Can't find anything on the Reading website about how many share a flat, unless we're looking in the wrong place!
Reply 176
Original post by OXO99
Same thing happened with my son. He found out today that he'd been allocated a catered washbasin room in Windsor Halls. These halls weren't on his list, and he had hoped for self-catered en-suite. Can't find anything on the Reading website about how many share a flat, unless we're looking in the wrong place!

+1

My daughter applied for en-suite and self-catered. She's been offered St Pats - catered and shared bathroom. Reading was her first choice.
She's quite a fussy eater and my wife wanted her to cook for herself so she'd become more independent as my other daughter did when she was at Leeds Uni (finished in 2016).

We've tried ringing the accommodation office. She's currently away at the Reading festival! I think we have to email and hope they ring back.
I think she has 72 hours to confirm otherwise she loses the place?

What's the chance of getting it changed?

Will she have to just get on with it and accept the offer and apply to move once she's been there a couple of weeks?
Reply 177
Any idea of when Flat/room numbers are allocated? I have paid my deposit and completed the online induction but still haven't heard.
Original post by larj19
Any idea of when Flat/room numbers are allocated? I have paid my deposit and completed the online induction but still haven't heard.

I found out my the type of halls on results day I think. But it was only a week before moving in day that I found out the flat and room number. I think moving in weekend is around 17th September? So you'll probably find out in two weeks time. So, don't worry! They just don't allocate the flat numbers until just before moving in to uni! After I found out I tried to find Facebook groups and my flat mates.

There was a lot of different groups on Facebook that was a bit confusing! Eventually, about two days before moving in I found my flat mates!

Hope this helped! Any further questions feel free to ask!

Sophie
Philosophy student :smile:
Original post by cosc044
+1

My daughter applied for en-suite and self-catered. She's been offered St Pats - catered and shared bathroom. Reading was her first choice.
She's quite a fussy eater and my wife wanted her to cook for herself so she'd become more independent as my other daughter did when she was at Leeds Uni (finished in 2016).

We've tried ringing the accommodation office. She's currently away at the Reading festival! I think we have to email and hope they ring back.
I think she has 72 hours to confirm otherwise she loses the place?

What's the chance of getting it changed?

Will she have to just get on with it and accept the offer and apply to move once she's been there a couple of weeks?

Don't think you stand much chance of getting it changed. My daughter wasn't happy as she wanted to cook herself but they so get a kitchenette so she may actually end up with best if both worlds. Now she's in catered at least we know she won't starve

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending