The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AttentionSeeker
Hey guys,

I'm predicted AAB for A2 and want to apply to Med school. Obviously all Med schools in the UK have minimum entry requirements of AAA so is it worthwhile applying anywhere? Please note that I only achieved a 600 in my UKCAT. This is for 2018 entry. I've done loads of work experience so hoping my Personal Statment pulls me up!

Thanks!

Nowhere is going to give you an offer for AAB, if ou can't get your prediction raised then you'll need to take a gap year and apply with your actual grades next year. Medicine is tough enough to get into with the entry requirements, it's not going to happen without.
Hey guys,

I'm predicted AAB for A2 and want to apply to Med school. Obviously all Med schools in the UK have minimum entry requirements of AAA so is it worthwhile applying anywhere? Please note that I only achieved a 600 in my UKCAT. This is for 2018 entry. I've done loads of work experience so hoping my Personal Statment pulls me up!

Thanks!

your predictions are very close to the real entry requirements, you'll get offers from AAA courses lol there is wiggle room and the uni's know they are only predictions. No need to take a gap year, nonsense
Reply 3
Original post by addingishard
your predictions are very close to the real entry requirements, you'll get offers from AAA courses lol there is wiggle room and the uni's know they are only predictions. No need to take a gap year, nonsense

Without the right predicted grades no medical school is going to consider their application...
I'm in your exact position and im freaking out about the unis that will be willing to take me, ive been advised that Keele is good to look at.
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Maybe for other courses, this is medicine, not geography. It's pretty much the most competitive course in the entire country, thousands of people will be applying who either meet or exceed the requirements. Medicine isn't just one of those, "Oh it will be all right, just apply anyway" courses, it's medicine.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Discuss with the teacher that predicted you a B to see why they did so and what you would need to do to have them predict you an A, and whether they think you can achieve an A. You need to meet the entrance requirements or they'll just reject your application outright.

Your GCSEs will also determine where you can apply as some places use them combined with your UKCAT pre-interview, so look at the requirements for different universities to see whether you meet them.

Applying with achieved grades may be the only way to do it if you can't get the predictions.

Edit: look at Keele
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Paperplane10
I'm in your exact position and im freaking out about the unis that will be willing to take me, ive been advised that Keele is good to look at.

You're right, Keele don't use predicted grades in their selection process, so it may be worth applying there, provided you meet their GCSE and UKCAT (not bottom 20% or band 4) requirements

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf
Reply 8
I would suggest applying this year just to see whether you get any offer which is tbh not very likely. Applying this year could be a practise run for you, as you would have an idea of what the UKCAT is like, and then if you get any offers you will know what interveiws will be like. Aim to get AAA this year and smash that part of the entry reuirements. If you have no offers due to your predicted being too low you still have your UKCAT, and if you do well enough you will have your 3 As on results day, you can call up some med schools through cleearing but you need to be quick. I know that this year both St Georges and Barts were in clearing for medicine. Even if you dont get in this year you can always take a gap year, get lots of experience, and make your PS incredible. Since you already had your practise year the year before, you will have an idea about what the UKCAT is like and that will be helpful in your gap year when applying again. Gap year students are liked by med schools. Im just gonna say you have to be really passionate to want to do medicine, because alot of the tme students dont get in first time
Original post by Glassapple
Maybe for other courses, this is medicine, not geography. It's pretty much the most competitive course in the entire country, thousands of people will be applying who either meet or exceed the requirements. Medicine isn't just one of those "Oh it will be alright, just apply anyway" courses, it's medicine.

hmm yeah i guess, I was thinking of the people on here and that I know of who got into their firm with AAB, but that was nothing to do with the initial offer where they might have been predicted higher. Now that there are no official AS exams for most subjects does that mean predicted grades are more important or less ?
hmm yeah i guess, I was thinking of the people on here and that I know of who got into their firm with AAB, but that was nothing to do with the initial offer where they might have been predicted higher. Now that there are no official AS exams for most subjects does that mean predicted grades are more important or less ?

Predicted grades are now more important, they have to base their offers on something. This will be the only thing they have so greater emphasis will be put on them.
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Very sorry, but i doubt you will even get any interviews no matter where you apply. If you had an amazing UCKAT score (e.g. 750+)...then maybe. Bearing in mind almost everyone who applies will get 3A's, often better. Heck i got A*A*AA and i didnt get any offers. Unfortunately in medicine its so competitive, its not a case of "i did bad in one part of the application, something else can save me". You need to be solidly good in ALL parts of the application-thats A-levels, UKCAT scores and personal statement/interview.

Your best bets:
1) apply to biomedical science style degrees, and consider graduate entry. Ive seen people with worse received grades go on to ace this kind of degree and get a graduate place.
2) Ask your school if they will consider moving your predicted grade of B to A. Is there any chance? How well did those A-level exams go...did you just get a B or were you reasonably close to an A overall for that year?
3) Consider applying after a gap year, and work as hard as you can to do as best as you possibly can in the next year's exams. Then you will be applying with actual grades, you only have the UKCAT to worry about, and you get a year to do relevant work experience, volunteering or just have a job in general.
4)If its an option, some universities accept A*AB (e.g. BSMS). they are in the minority though...if you could be predicted an A* in one of those subjects, its an option.

There really isn't. There will be so many people with AAA predictions or better that they likely won't give this application a second look. Especially if they look at the A-level marks and see that those predicteds might not be achievable, or that they were still a distance from an A in the B subject.

Original post by Paperplane10

Original post by ax12
You're right, Keele don't use predicted grades in their selection process, so it may be worth applying there, provided you meet their GCSE and UKCAT (not bottom 20% or band 4) requirements

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

You sure? I mean i did apply 5 years ago, but back then they ranked people for interview based on A-level grades (predicted or achieved) and UKCAT scores.
Reply 12
Original post by QuentinM
Very sorry, but i doubt you will even get any interviews no matter where you apply. If you had an amazing UCKAT score (e.g. 750+)...then maybe. Bearing in mind almost everyone who applies will get 3A's, often better. Heck i got A*A*AA and i didnt get any offers. Unfortunately in medicine its so competitive, its not a case of "i did bad in one part of the application, something else can save me". You need to be solidly good in ALL parts of the application-thats A-levels, UKCAT scores and personal statement/interview.

Your best bets:
1) apply to biomedical science style degrees, and consider graduate entry. Ive seen people with worse received grades go on to ace this kind of degree and get a graduate place.
2) Ask your school if they will consider moving your predicted grade of B to A. Is there any chance? How well did those A-level exams go...did you just get a B or were you reasonably close to an A overall for that year?
3) Consider applying after a gap year, and work as hard as you can to do as best as you possibly can in the next year's exams. Then you will be applying with actual grades, you only have the UKCAT to worry about, and you get a year to do relevant work experience, volunteering or just have a job in general.
4)If its an option, some universities accept A*AB (e.g. BSMS). they are in the minority though...if you could be predicted an A* in one of those subjects, its an option.

There really isn't. There will be so many people with AAA predictions or better that they likely won't give this application a second look. Especially if they look at the A-level marks and see that those predicteds might not be achievable, or that they were still a distance from an A in the B subject.

You sure? I mean i did apply 5 years ago, but back then they ranked people for interview based on A-level grades (predicted or achieved) and UKCAT scores.

I didn't think so but in the most up-to-date document from the medical school's council it says they don't use A level predictions. However, it might be worth getting in touch to double check.
You could try KCL's EMDP who's requirements are AAB but you would need to fall under their eligibility criteria
Anyone who said you can't apply is chatting ****. You can apply to Liverpool and Lancaster, it's on there website somewhere and they did both confirm it on the open day. The offer will be AAA though. This was for 2017 entry, not sure if they've changed it this year but I doubt it.
Original post by SpidgetFinner
Anyone who said you can't apply is chatting ****. You can apply to Liverpool and Lancaster, it's on there website somewhere and they did both confirm it on the open day. The offer will be AAA though. This was for 2017 entry, not sure if they've changed it this year but I doubt it.

'A levels in three subjects taken at one sitting, usually after 2 years of study: at a minimum of AAA Chemistry and Biology'

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/medicine-and-surgery-mbchb/entry-requirements/

'Grades required: AAA - A*AA'

http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/media/lancaster-university/content-assets/documents/fhm/study/medicine/current-entry-requirements/A100_Alevels.pdf

What part of that says AAB? The only B grade mentioned is for Lancaster, which is for AS in addition to 3 A grades at A2. There's nothing in either website about applying with predictions of AAB but potentially being made an offer.
Original post by Glassapple
'A levels in three subjects taken at one sitting, usually after 2 years of study: at a minimum of AAA Chemistry and Biology'

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/medicine-and-surgery-mbchb/entry-requirements/

'Grades required: AAA - A*AA'

http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/media/lancaster-university/content-assets/documents/fhm/study/medicine/current-entry-requirements/A100_Alevels.pdf

What part of that says AAB? The only B grade mentioned is for Lancaster, which is for AS in addition to 3 A grades at A2. There's nothing in either website about applying with predictions of AAB but potentially being made an offer.

Here is Lancaster's
http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lms/study-with-us/undergraduate/mbchb/entry-requirements-and-selection-process/selection-process/

I'll find Liverpool's in a bit and post it when I'm home but I can 100% guarantee they allow AAB predicted grades

Just had a look around Liverpool's website, can't find it anymore atm but yes I know someone who got an offer there with AAB predicted and I did find it when I applied for medicine last year and they also did confirm on the open day. But yes the offer will be AAA
(edited 6 years ago)
look for foundation med courses KCL do one.
There is no point applying for A100 courses you will get rejected without them reading your personal statement
Guys I'm a gap year student with ACHIEVED: A*A*A*, and 5A*3A and 2B in GCSE's. I did my ukcat and got 610 average and band 4. What ukcat uni's could I apply to? Thanks
Hey guys,

Thanks!

For your UKCAT score you'll find it helpful to have a read of this post here with tips on where to apply:
masumahjannah.wordpress.com/low-ukcat-score

In terms of your predicted grades, is there no way you can convince your teacher to predict you at least AAA...I can't see any medical school offering less than that.

However if you fit certain widening participation criteria your offer will be lowered for certain universities such as Leeds. If you do match that profile it's worth looking into the Realising Opportunities Scheme as that will lower your offer for a few different universities...

Latest

Trending

Trending