The Student Room Group

Achieved an A* in EPQ - do you have questions?

Hey guys, hope you're enjoying your summer! I conducted my EPQ on feminism and politics, achieving an A*. I'm here to provide any advice/help if you want it

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, how exactly did you structure your epq?
Thanks.
I broke it down into:

1. Contents Page
2. Abstract (Outlining your arguments within the essay and providing background on your chosen topics, showing its relevancy to wider society)
3. Literature Review (Include main paragraphs and evaluation of sources)
4. Conclusion (Demonstrate how the arguments have contributed to your understanding, linking back to your initial title)
5. Bibliography (Use Harvard Referencing, personally I did this through 'Cite This For Me'

Overall aim for 12 pages or 5000 words.

Hope this helps! @kmnshah
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MiraclePetals
Hey guys, hope you're enjoying your summer! I conducted my EPQ on feminism and politics, achieving an A*. I'm here to provide any advice/help if you want it

Hi! I will be doing my presentation and was wondering if you had any advice? What did you do if you were asked a hard question?

Thanks!
Hello! Keep rehearsing and going over your presentation, especially all of the essential points - it will help you look confident and knowledgeable. When you're asked a difficult question I took some time to think over my response - even if it only answers a portion of the question. If you're truly stuck try diverting the question by using phrases like 'That's quite right. The fact is...' and go off into another topic but try linking it to what they're asking.

I hope this helps!

Original post by musicangel
Hi! I will be doing my presentation and was wondering if you had any advice? What did you do if you were asked a hard question?

Thanks!
Hello! Keep rehearsing and going over your presentation, especially all of the essential points - it will help you look confident and knowledgeable. When you're asked a difficult question I took some time to think over my response - even if it only answers a portion of the question. If you're truly stuck try diverting the question by using phrases like 'That's quite right. The fact is...' and go off into another topic but try linking it to what they're asking.

I hope this helps!

Thank you so much!! I was wondering how you structured your presentation? Are you supposed to just say your argument?
Thanks! :smile:
I structured my presentation to cover all of the topics in my EPQ - I kept it quite minimal though so I could expand my points by using images, quotes etc. which made up around 30 slides. I wouldn't just discuss your argument, you should show other interpretations and how they contributed to your conclusions.

You're welcome!:smile:

Original post by musicangel
Thank you so much!! I was wondering how you structured your presentation? Are you supposed to just say your argument?
Thanks! :smile:
I'm doing my EPQ on Boe-Bot robot..... Hence I will only have to write 1000 words, but I'm kind of confused how to structure it.
It depends on your main title, what are you trying to uncover/explain? I take it your project is an artefact?
@Burak yilmaz

Original post by Burak yilmaz
I'm doing my EPQ on Boe-Bot robot..... Hence I will only have to write 1000 words, but I'm kind of confused how to structure it.
(edited 6 years ago)
How much work is it? I'm asking because I choose my subjects for as tomorrow and we have to do the Welsh equivalent of EPQ and I'm doing chemistry economics and maths but not sure if I should do biology as well or if it would be too much
Biology is extremely content orientated, and as a fourth subject it's not necessary to universities so if I were you I'd just concentrate on the 3 subjects you have. However, it depends on the degree you want to pursue, as if it's based in the sciences then universities usually ask for 2 science subjects at a-level. In terms of the EPQ, the workload varies, but it can be heavy going if you don't keep on top of it. I would recommend getting the research out of the way as you'll need a range of sources to quote from. If you timetable a set time when you're going to sit down and research/type up a section of your log/write the dissertation then you'll be absolutely fine, but be flexible with it.
@Reece.W.J

Original post by Reece.W.J
How much work is it? I'm asking because I choose my subjects for as tomorrow and we have to do the Welsh equivalent of EPQ and I'm doing chemistry economics and maths but not sure if I should do biology as well or if it would be too much
(edited 6 years ago)
How much time did u spend on it

Was it worth it interms of uni a cetane and did u talk about it in interview or ps etc or did uni mention it.
I spent a few weeks gaining access to my research, filtering quotes and finding a range of sources (I did this over the summer prior to year 13), I found the project log to be quite simplistic - you just need to justify your choices of sources, why you desire to do a particular topic in your EPQ etc, so it took about a week. The dissertation took 2 months because of the referencing, waiting for feedback and general procrastination. I found that it was definitely worth it - my university reduced their offer by a grade, which put less pressure on me. I didn't go to an interview - all of the universities just used my personal statement to see whether they should give me an offer, I did talk about my EPQ in my personal statement which was incredibly useful.
@GausIsTheBoss

Original post by GausIsTheBoss
How much time did u spend on it

Was it worth it interms of uni a cetane and did u talk about it in interview or ps etc or did uni mention it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Got a couple of questions. I'm into the late part of the research stage but don't want to do an dissertation plan or draft it until I go back and actually get to speak to my supervisor regarding it.

Firstly do you have the markscheme if you did the AQA EPQ and if so could you link me.

Secondly how many research sources have you used? In my personal notebook I've got something like 28 different sources noted of varying types but I'm not sure if this is enough.

Please quote me when you answer or @ me so I get the notification. Thanks!
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-EPQ-GDE-BDY-NOV-2016.PDF (grade boundaries)
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-W-7993-SP-15.PDF (spec)

There is no set number of research sources you should use - but I used 37 different sources.

@xEmilyxx
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-EPQ-GDE-BDY-NOV-2016.PDF (grade boundaries)
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-W-7993-SP-15.PDF (spec)

There is no set number of research sources you should use - but I used 37 different sources.

@xEmilyxx

Thanks a lot
what was your main title?
It depends on your main title, what are you trying to uncover/explain? I take it your project is an artefact?
@Burak yilmaz

Sorry for late reply.

I'm thinking of writing about it's parts and what can the robot do. I think I should explain what went right and wrong and how did I manage to solve the problem.

Something like that, I guess.
'How does politics affect the perception of feminism?'

@milibands

Original post by milibands
what was your main title?
Hi
I have no clue what my epq will be on! I know it will be english lit based and i think i want to do something concerning victorian lit but i habe no clue on what books/ authors/ themes to investigate or compare :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending