The Student Room Group

Should I leave sixth form or stick it out for the year?

I feel that I have chose the wrong subjects at A level and I do not enjoy them at all. I got DDE in year 12 and was hoping to redo the year with different subjects, however this is no longer an option. I dont want to stay at sixth form so I dont know what to do?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by manonymousc
I feel that I have chose the wrong subjects at A level and I do not enjoy them at all. I got DDE in year 12 and was hoping to redo the year with different subjects, however this is no longer an option. I dont want to stay at sixth form so I dont know what to do?

Not much point in staying if you don't like the place/if it doesn't offer what YOU want to do. Y13 is difficult and the combination of you not liking your subjects + mediocre AS grades might be a recipe for disaster.

The only problem with changing sixth forms is getting used to a brand new environment and making new friends... Is that an important issue to you?
Have a look at apprenticeships in your area, and see if any of them tickle your biscuit. I had a friend who left at the end of year 12 to do an apprenticeship, and he's finding it really good.
Reply 3
Original post by Blue_Cow
Not much point in staying if you don't like the place/if it doesn't offer what YOU want to do. Y13 is difficult and the combination of you not liking your subjects + mediocre AS grades might be a recipe for disaster.

The only problem with changing sixth forms is getting used to a brand new environment and making new friends... Is that an important issue to you?

Making new friends is not a problem to me as I have only been at this sixth form for a year, I didn't stay on at my previous school, so I am okay with adjusting to new things. I spoke to college about redoing year 12 there but they said there is a policy that redoing year 12 is no longer allowed anywhere
Reply 4
Original post by vicvic38
Have a look at apprenticeships in your area, and see if any of them tickle your biscuit. I had a friend who left at the end of year 12 to do an apprenticeship, and he's finding it really good.

I have looked into apprenticeships more but its hard to find one in something I enjoy. I just need to keep looking and hopefully something comes up
Making new friends is not a problem to me as I have only been at this sixth form for a year, I didn't stay on at my previous school, so I am okay with adjusting to new things. I spoke to college about redoing year 12 there but they said there is a policy that redoing year 12 is no longer allowed anywhere

Sounds odd. A few FE providers around me allow Y12 resits. Have you tried others?
Reply 6
Sounds odd. A few FE providers around me allow Y12 resits. Have you tried others?

None of my local sixth forms allow it and neither does the college. They said they used to but stopped this year and if I wanted to put myself back a year it would have to be doing a btec
None of my local sixth forms allow it and neither does the college. They said they used to but stopped this year and if I wanted to put myself back a year it would have to be doing a btec

Would you be willing to do a BTEC then? Quite a few universities accept them these days depending on the course.
Reply 8
Would you be willing to do a BTEC then? Quite a few universities accept them these days depending on the course.

Maybe, I want to do a degree in Law and Criminology and the most related Level 3 is Business and Law, so if I do a BTEC I would do that
Maybe, I want to do a degree in Law and Criminology and the most related Level 3 is Business and Law, so if I do a BTEC I would do that

If you look up that course and go on the university's website, you'll be able to see if they accept a BTEC. If they do, it might be worth a consideration.
If you look up that course and go on the university's website, you'll be able to see if they accept a BTEC. If they do, it might be worth a consideration.

Yeah that is a good idea, I'll do that. Thank you for helping!

Quick Reply

Latest