The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan or other funding options when on Bursary

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone would know if I can apply for a maintenance loan only. I am starting a MSc Adult Nursing at University of Hertfordshire in Sept 2017. I have been accepted for a bursary as I already have a degree and was accepted to do the pre-registration MSc Adult Nursing duration of two years.

My tuition of £6450 is paid by NHS and I will receive a bursary of £450 per month. The Masters course is more intensive than the BSc Adult Nursing and condensed into 2 rather than 3 years. Also placements are based on 40 hour week not 37.5 and expected study is 40 plus hours per week study.

It will be very difficult to work on top of this heavy schedule, not impossible but need to find financial assistance as £450 a month doesn't even cover my rent.

Anyone can help would appreciate comments.

Thanks
H
apart from uni funds . im not sure there is any. ask the english student support. my wife is self funding her masters hers is part time so over 3 years so no funding. your lucky to be getting any funds.
There is a postgraduate loan available from Sept 2017 . It is just over £10k pa and you can find details here

https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan

The above is for England based students. Postgrad students living in Wales, Scotland and NI need to go to their own Student Finance website.

Failing that as a last resort you can look at loaning from banks or a credit union (although with credit unions you will need a track record of savings too before borrowing in most cases).

Hope this helps.
Reply 3
Original post by Bernadette04
There is a postgraduate loan available from Sept 2017 . It is just over £10k pa and you can find details here

https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan

The above is for England based students. Postgrad students living in Wales, Scotland and NI need to go to their own Student Finance website.

Failing that as a last resort you can look at loaning from banks or a credit union (although with credit unions you will need a track record of savings too before borrowing in most cases).

Hope this helps.

Thank you but as have bursary I am not eligible x
Original post by hd72
Thank you but as have bursary I am not eligible x

As the bursary is £450pm would it be just better to knock back the bursary in order to get the bigger loan?

I know the bursary doesn't have to be repaid and is free money as such, but if you can't live on it, wouldn't the loan be more useful?

It's a shame there's isnt more help for postgrad students in these circs.
1/2 of the loan is for tuition so wont be paid. not much different. if its close keep the free money. remember to claim your exempt council tax
Reply 6
Original post by Bernadette04
As the bursary is £450pm would it be just better to knock back the bursary in order to get the bigger loan?

I know the bursary doesn't have to be repaid and is free money as such, but if you can't live on it, wouldn't the loan be more useful?

It's a shame there's isnt more help for postgrad students in these circs.

I agree it seems bizarre, if I got a postgraduate loan I could get £10,000, but that would only leave me with under £4000 per annum to live on the bursary pays for the tuition and gives £5400. However if I had of done the BSc Adult Nursing I could of got a loan for tuition and a loan of £10,000 for living costs. Doesn't make sense that they say you won't really have time to work on the masters nursing course, but then give you so little money that no-one could live on unless they were living with their parents and paying no rent and being subsidised,. I however, do not have any support in place and my rent alone is £500. I will have to work but was really hoping that perhaps I was missing something, seems there is help for everyone bar a female who is not disabled and has no dependants :redface:(

I am sure I will figure something out, I am determined to succeed in this course and it is only two years, so onwards and upwards.
were do you get 10k for living expenses. there is no bursary for degree students now in england. i thought the max student loan is

Full-time studentLoan for the 2016 to 2017 academic yearLiving at homeUp to £6,904Living away from home, outside LondonUp to £8,200Living away from home, in LondonUp to £10,702You spend a year of a UK course studying abroadUp to £9,391
less family income.
Reply 8
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Reply 9
Original post by paulbarlow
were do you get 10k for living expenses. there is no bursary for degree students now in england. i thought the max student loan is

Full-time studentLoan for the 2016 to 2017 academic yearLiving at homeUp to £6,904Living away from home, outside LondonUp to £8,200Living away from home, in LondonUp to £10,702You spend a year of a UK course studying abroadUp to £9,391
less family income.

The masters Adult Nursing gets a bursary still the BC Adult Nursing does not anymore. The student finance I got accepted for when I was going to do BSc Adult Nursing was tuition £9250.00 and £10410.00 student finance maintenance loan took pictures of them to show you but can't seem to attach 🤔
check if that applies to masters. you dont want them suddenly claiming it back. still 10k was a lot better than what i got whilst training. just over 400 a month. that included money for dependents.
Reply 11
check if that applies to masters. you dont want them suddenly claiming it back. still 10k was a lot better than what i got whilst training. just over 400 a month. that included money for dependents.

The masters bursary correct and the one I'm doing.it's the BSc Nursing that you can get maintenance loan go £10,000 which to be fair is manageable, how they expect me to cope on £450 per month with no support I don't know 😟
well they expect the wife to either drop out or self fund. its bad enough no study time from work. she is luck she has bullied herselfonto two course funded by the scottish gov. which are part of her masters. that will save us 1800. its not fare that nurses are expected to continue training but really there is never any real support. it would be so easy just to remain a band 5 and do the basic training.
Having had a quick look on google, this suggests that you're entitled to the same funding as undergraduate students. But it does state there's no bursary - it's now all loans.
Reply 14
well they expect the wife to either drop out or self fund. its bad enough no study time from work. she is luck she has bullied herselfonto two course funded by the scottish gov. which are part of her masters. that will save us 1800. its not fare that nurses are expected to continue training but really there is never any real support. it would be so easy just to remain a band 5 and do the basic training.

Bless her I know people are demanding better qualified nurses yet they expect to work all hours and study and mostly pay for courses, if the indeed are even allowed to take study day leave, a lot expect you to do on your days off, bloody ridiculous, especially as revalidation is requirement for all nurses.
please thats due for us next year ive not even looked. not keen on asking patients to review me,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending