The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Can you continue to 3rd year with 2 trailing modules from 2nd year?

I have 2 modules incomplete from my second year. This isn't because I "failed" the modules, but because I never sat the exams. I submitted NECs, which have been upheld and 'first sittings' have been granted in the next academic year. From reading the handbook, it states that you are able to proceed to third year with 20 credits outstanding from 2nd year. I ideally need to complete these modules alongside 3rd year as I don't have the finances to fund myself for 2 half year modules which will not commence until after January. It seems a waste to redo an entire academic year, for just those two modules which it has been agreed I had mitigating circumstances for not completing. I have not had any confirmation from the uni yet, however online it appears as "Fail- repeats permitted" which leads me to believe I will have to redo the entire year. What should I do? I have naturally contacted the uni, but have been told I need to wait. I have not yet enrolled as I do not want to repeat the entire year. If I had known that not submitting the assignment would lead to an entire repeat, I would obviously have submitted it and hoped for the best mark-wise.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by Phoniex76
I have 2 modules incomplete from my second year. This isn't because I "failed" the modules, but because I never sat the exams. I submitted NECs, which have been upheld and 'first sittings' have been granted in the next academic year. From reading the handbook, it states that you are able to proceed to third year with 20 credits outstanding from 2nd year. I ideally need to complete these modules alongside 3rd year as I don't have the finances to fund myself for 2 half year modules which will not commence until after January. It seems a waste to redo an entire academic year, for just those two modules which it has been agreed I had mitigating circumstances for not completing. I have not had any confirmation from the uni yet, however online it appears as "Fail- repeats permitted" which leads me to believe I will have to redo the entire year. What should I do? I have naturally contacted the uni, but have been told I need to wait. I have not yet enrolled as I do not want to repeat the entire year. If I had known that not submitting the assignment would lead to an entire repeat, I would obviously have submitted it and hoped for the best mark-wise.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey :smile:
Not sure if this will help but I had a friend in a similar situation - the outcome for her was that she proceeds into final year in the next academic year (Sep 2018) and completes the failed modules over the course of this year with no attendance to uni.

So she isn't really repeating the year just repeating the coursework and exams over the course of the year while not attending uni.

Is there any codes beside the exam boards decision? I know that's how we ended up working it out?

Might be slightly different though as her exams already had been deferred and she had had her first sit and hadn't passed then.

Hope this was some type of help 🙊
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
in general you cant start third year with un finished courses from second year, but as youve been allowed to redo the exams then you should be ok. to sit just the exams puts you at a disadvantage. your studies will be a year old. are you being marked as a resit or first attempt are 2 forty percent grades likely to affect effect you final grade. it may be better to use your spare year funding.
Reply 3
Original post by LJMJPM
Hey :smile:
Not sure if this will help but I had a friend in a similar situation - the outcome for her was that she proceeds into final year in the next academic year (Sep 2018) and completes the failed modules over the course of this year with no attendance to uni.

So she isn't really repeating the year just repeating the coursework and exams over the course of the year while not attending uni.

Is there any codes beside the exam boards decision? I know that's how we ended up working it out?

Might be slightly different though as her exams already had been deferred and she had had her first sit and hadn't passed then.

Hope this was some type of help 🙊

This is what I would be looking to do. Take the modules in the next academic year, alongside my usual 3rd year modules with/without attendance.

Online when it gives you an explanation of the exam board codes there is another option which essentially would permit me to do as your friend did, however mine says "Fail" rather than proceed! As the exam board has made this decision already, I am unsure as to whether it can even be changed now! I haven't no had any communication about any of it, despite my constant emails! Im not sure how these things work, but I was lead to believe as I had an NEC for them that it wouldn't be treated as though I failed, as I haven't!
Reply 4
Original post by Phoniex76
This is what I would be looking to do. Take the modules in the next academic year, alongside my usual 3rd year modules with/without attendance.

Online when it gives you an explanation of the exam board codes there is another option which essentially would permit me to do as your friend did, however mine says "Fail" rather than proceed! As the exam board has made this decision already, I am unsure as to whether it can even be changed now! I haven't no had any communication about any of it, despite my constant emails! Im not sure how these things work, but I was lead to believe as I had an NEC for them that it wouldn't be treated as though I failed, as I haven't!

Thanks for your reply, I'm panicking and it's reassuring that someone else has been able to do it!
Reply 5
Original post by paulbarlow
in general you cant start third year with un finished courses from second year, but as youve been allowed to redo the exams then you should be ok. to sit just the exams puts you at a disadvantage. your studies will be a year old. are you being marked as a resit or first attempt are 2 forty percent grades likely to affect effect you final grade. it may be better to use your spare year funding.

My work wouldn't be capped at 40% it would be marked to its full potiential as a "first sitting".
THATS GOOD
doing extra work in your final years it will be hard. good luck
Reply 7
Hey, I'm in a similar situation now, what happened in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending