The Student Room Group

Work Experience for a Psych Degree/Criminology Degree

I want to do a Psych and Criminology degree in Uni but I don't have the required volunteering experience for it. I know that volunteering experience such as in youth centres are desirable but where do I find any youth centres, also what else can I do for my personal experience and personal statement?
Which university says there is "required" work experience? You don't really need this for an undergrad degree such as what you're hoping to pursue. Show your interest by talking about books you've read, perhaps talks you've attended and maybe some form of future career plan.
Reply 2
Original post by Multifaceted
Which university says there is "required" work experience? You don't really need this for an undergrad degree such as what you're hoping to pursue. Show your interest by talking about books you've read, perhaps talks you've attended and maybe some form of future career plan.

I haven't attended any talks, and the books I've read I don't think would be taken into consideration and my future plan I've mentioned but I still some sort of experience. The ones I have are babysitting neighbours kids and working in a high school and whilst talking about these I tried to link them to psychology and wrote about skills I gained but I don't think that would be enough...
Original post by MrsSasuNaru
I haven't attended any talks, and the books I've read I don't think would be taken into consideration and my future plan I've mentioned but I still some sort of experience. The ones I have are babysitting neighbours kids and working in a high school and whilst talking about these I tried to link them to psychology and wrote about skills I gained but I don't think that would be enough...

You can certainly apply those skills to what you might learn in psychology. You can also talk about modules that you might be interested in at the university you'd like and why you're interested etc. Talk about what you're looking forward to learn the sorts of skills you might want to develop. I appreciate it's hard when you don't have experience but I didn't have any experience when applying for Psychology. Just pure interest :smile:
Reply 4
You can certainly apply those skills to what you might learn in psychology. You can also talk about modules that you might be interested in at the university you'd like and why you're interested etc. Talk about what you're looking forward to learn the sorts of skills you might want to develop. I appreciate it's hard when you don't have experience but I didn't have any experience when applying for Psychology. Just pure interest :smile:

You applied for psychology,I have so many questions.
Did the Unis you choose only look at your personal statement or everything? We keep getting told that our personal statements are everything and all.
What Psych field did you choose? I'm still not sure with mine. I want to do Psych and Criminology but I also want to do Modern Languages as well...
Also does it require extreme independent skills to be able to not fall behind and what about research, is it Intense research like real psychologists or is it like do your own basic research? Is carrying out research necessary, what if you just want to be a practising Psychologist who works in a Forensic department or counselling?
What books would you recommend reading before starting the degree?

Sorry, went overboard, would much appreciate if you could answer.
I want to do a Psych and Criminology degree in Uni but I don't have the required volunteering experience for it. I know that volunteering experience such as in youth centres are desirable but where do I find any youth centres, also what else can I do for my personal experience and personal statement?

Criminal psychology degree at Derby uni doesn't require previous experience, but the lecturers help you get relevant volunteering jobs in the first year. Worth a look :smile:
You applied for psychology,I have so many questions.
Did the Unis you choose only look at your personal statement or everything? We keep getting told that our personal statements are everything and all.
What Psych field did you choose? I'm still not sure with mine. I want to do Psych and Criminology but I also want to do Modern Languages as well...
Also does it require extreme independent skills to be able to not fall behind and what about research, is it Intense research like real psychologists or is it like do your own basic research? Is carrying out research necessary, what if you just want to be a practising Psychologist who works in a Forensic department or counselling?
What books would you recommend reading before starting the degree?

Sorry, went overboard, would much appreciate if you could answer.

They looked at everything for me - and to be honest, if you have the grades this is what's most important to universities (which I disagree with, but that'll lead me onto a rant). So just focus on getting your grades.

I applied for Psychology alone. However, I know that if you choose a Scottish university (such as Dundee, Aberdeen etc), you can pick lots of modules outside of psychology such as a modern language and you don't have to 'pick your degree' as early as you do at an English university. If you're in England, maybe look into a psychology and language joint degree?

In my experience, you're very guided through everything so don't stress about falling backwards. You will be taught those 'extreme' independent skills way before you need them which is mostly when you're writing your thesis in final year. In your undergraduate psychology degree, you will carry out your own research in final year usually (but you should check with your university anyway) - but you WILL be 100% guided through this and have a supervisor to help you as well.

I'm sure you're aware that a psychology degree gives you BPS (British Psychological Society) accreditation. With this, you can go forward and apply for an Masters in Forensic Psychology if this is what you want in the future.

Honestly, I wouldn't say you need to read before you start a psychology degree. Maybe brush on your research methods (did you take psych A level?).

Any more questions just ask :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Alice.atlanta
Criminal psychology degree at Derby uni doesn't require previous experience, but the lecturers help you get relevant volunteering jobs in the first year. Worth a look :smile:

Thank you so much

They looked at everything for me - and to be honest, if you have the grades this is what's most important to universities (which I disagree with, but that'll lead me onto a rant). So just focus on getting your grades.

I applied for Psychology alone. However, I know that if you choose a Scottish university (such as Dundee, Aberdeen etc), you can pick lots of modules outside of psychology such as a modern language and you don't have to 'pick your degree' as early as you do at an English university. If you're in England, maybe look into a psychology and language joint degree?

In my experience, you're very guided through everything so don't stress about falling backwards. You will be taught those 'extreme' independent skills way before you need them which is mostly when you're writing your thesis in final year. In your undergraduate psychology degree, you will carry out your own research in final year usually (but you should check with your university anyway) - but you WILL be 100% guided through this and have a supervisor to help you as well.

I'm sure you're aware that a psychology degree gives you BPS (British Psychological Society) accreditation. With this, you can go forward and apply for an Masters in Forensic Psychology if this is what you want in the future.

Honestly, I wouldn't say you need to read before you start a psychology degree. Maybe brush on your research methods (did you take psych A level?).

Any more questions just ask :smile:

Thank you, this was really helpful. Just one last question if you don't mind :smile:
how did you write your personal statement, like structure wise and points that could've impressed the examiner.
Thank you so much

Thank you, this was really helpful. Just one last question if you don't mind :smile:
how did you write your personal statement, like structure wise and points that could've impressed the examiner.

You're welcome. In mine I talked about some of the books I've found interesting and what they made me question. Don't be cliche like 'I want to know what makes people tick'. It's just such a small part of psychology and you should show awareness of the scope.

I talked about some of the skills I've gotten from some of my A level choices and how they can be applied to some of the modules I'll undertake. I quite like Neuroscience so I went into this and how doing a degree in psychology will facilitate this etc. I talked about the skills I'm hoping to develop on the course and a little bit about future plans.
Reply 9
You're welcome. In mine I talked about some of the books I've found interesting and what they made me question. Don't be cliche like 'I want to know what makes people tick'. It's just such a small part of psychology and you should show awareness of the scope.

I talked about some of the skills I've gotten from some of my A level choices and how they can be applied to some of the modules I'll undertake. I quite like Neuroscience so I went into this and how doing a degree in psychology will facilitate this etc. I talked about the skills I'm hoping to develop on the course and a little bit about future plans.

Thanks I think I have an idea of what to include. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest