The Student Room Group

My mum left Islam at 40 years old. AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FailedMyMocks
Couldn't have said it better. Seems like OP wants to twist our words to make us look like we have said things we haven't. Shouldn't really entertain him/her.

Ikr!
I feel like as a muslim I should help her out and try to see where the misunderstandings are in their views of Islam but their stubornness is too much for me so Im not gonna waste anymore time.
Original post by wonderuss
"Punish the unbelievers with garments of fire, hooked iron rods, boiling water, melt their skin and bellies" (22:19)

How would you personally interpret this?

What source are you getting your translation from? Why don't we use the official site of the Qur'an..? I don't know the context of that particular verse but if it is talking about hell-fire then yes, I wouldn't want to experience a second of the torment in there.

May Allah protect us.
Reply 62
Original post by xxxtentacion..
For the violence shown, bear in mind that those events happened hundreds of years ago

That's exactly what I said... So how can you live your life by the rules and context of such a book?
Reply 63
What source are you getting your translation from? Why don't we use the official site of the Qur'an..? I don't know the context of that particular verse but if it is talking about hell-fire then yes, I wouldn't want to experience a second of the torment in there.

May Allah protect us.

Okay, but why would a loving merciful God want to incite such fear in His creations?
Reply 64
London.

We've never really been religious because my parents didn't teach us to be or teach us a lot about religion, etc (we didn't grow up in a religious environment). My dad is the only one that prays everyday but he doesn't live with us (also, that's the only Islamic pillar he practices). My brother still calls himself a Muslim even though he doesn't practice anything to do with it and my sisters and I kind of just carry the label of Muslim even though realistically we don't practice Islam.

Are you or your mum still seeking God?
Reply 65
Original post by xxxtentacion..
Ikr!
I feel like as a muslim I should help her out and try to see where the misunderstandings are in their views of Islam but their stubornness is too much for me so Im not gonna waste anymore time.

Stubbornness? So when one continues the discussion and continues to ask further questions which you cannot answer, it's called stubbornness, is it? Ok cool.
Reply 66
Original post by Racoon
Are you or your mum still seeking God?

Not sure what you mean by seeking but we do believe in God, no doubt.
Reply 67
Anymore questions?

When you were a Muslim what were you taught about Jesus and did you ever investigate further what you were told?
Reply 68
It just sounds like you want to start up some trouble.. for no reason whatsoever. Lame.

How am I starting 'trouble'? So any view that goes against your own is 'starting trouble'?
Reply 69
Not sure what you mean by seeking but we do believe in God, no doubt.

So as you have left Islam what God do you believe in?
Okay, but why would a loving merciful God want to incite such fear in His creations?

We are his creation so it is befitting he can do what he likes with us. Moreover we believe Allah SWT is just. The people who go to hell will not say on the day of judgement 'This is unfair' they will come to realise their shortcomings..

Allah SWT also says

“Your Lord hath inscribed for Himself (the rule of) mercy: verily, if any of you did evil in ignorance, and thereafter repented, and amend (his conduct), lo! He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful” (Quran 6:54)
Reply 71
Original post by Racoon
So as you have left Islam what God do you believe in?

The one and only God there is - our creator.
Reply 72
Original post by Racoon
When you were a Muslim what were you taught about Jesus and did you ever investigate further what you were told?

I was taught in school that Jesus was the son of God and that he died for the sins of all mankind. That's pretty much all I know.

No, I didn't investigate further what I was told.
Reply 73
The one and only God there is - our creator.

I'm a Christian and I agree, one God.
Reply 74
I was taught in school that Jesus was the son of God and that he died for the sins of all mankind. That's pretty much all I know.

No, I didn't investigate further what I was told.

That's interesting, that's the Christian belief.
Reply 75
We are his creation so it is befitting he can do what he likes with us. Moreover we believe Allah SWT is just. The people who go to hell will not say on the day of judgement 'This is unfair' they will come to realise their shortcomings..

Can you explain what you mean by shortcomings, please?

Allah SWT also says
“Your Lord hath inscribed for Himself (the rule of) mercy: verily, if any of you did evil in ignorance, and thereafter repented, and amend (his conduct), lo! He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful” (Quran 6:54)

This is exactly what I meant by 'contradictory'. So, He says things like "terrorise and behead those who believe in scriptures other than the Quran" (8:12) and "do not hanker for peace with the infidels; behead them when you catch them" (47:4) and then gives himself qualities of mercifulness and lovingness?
Reply 76
We are his creation so it is befitting he can do what he likes with us.

So you believe in a God that torments his creations and instills fear in their hearts if they don't worship Him?

So do you think that He created humans to worship Him?
wonderuss
x

The muslims in this thread all seem to be following the same "you've left islam because you obviously haven't read the quran or been taught properly" argument. What they don't seem to realise is that the whole reason you and your mother have left islam is because you have... :lol:

Btw, just out of interest - what ethnicity is your family?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by Bezoar
The muslims in this thread all seem to be following the same "you've left islam because you obviously haven't read the quran or been taught properly" argument. What they don't seem to realise is that the whole reason you and your mother have left islam is because you have... :lol:

nail on the head
Reply 79
Original post by Bezoar

Btw, just out of interest - what ethnicity is your family?

Arab

Quick Reply

Latest