The Student Room Group

Best laptops for students??

So I'm in my 2nd year of college n i need a laptop before i hit university whats the best laptop to get as a student?

Im going to be doing more work on it than browsing or gaming.

Which laptop would you guys recommend?

Thanks🌻

Scroll to see replies

Macbook
Reply 2
Look at laptops that have good processing power (Quad core CPU), good RAM, storage
If you want to play games on it, I'd also look for a good graphics card

It depends what you want to do with it
Reply 3
Original post by Skuuuudent
Macbook

My sisters got it, feels like its gonna break really easy and i need one that i can rely on and take everywhere
Original post by Nxdirah_
So I'm in my 2nd year of college n i need a laptop before i hit university whats the best laptop to get as a student?

Im going to be doing more work on it than browsing or gaming.

Which laptop would you guys recommend?

Thanks🌻

What's your budget? Does "more work than gaming" mean no gaming at all or is there going to be some gaming done on it? If so, what sort of games did you want to play?
Reply 5
Budget wise id say around £400 max

I mean no gaming at all it'll be just to type up notes and documents on
Wait for black Friday, there will be a lot of sale on laptop

Any laptop is good for that
Reply 8
Original post by Ashecotton
Wait for black Friday, there will be a lot of sale on laptop

Good plan, Thanks
If it's just to type up notes and stuff basically any old toaster will do. If you're gonna physically take it into lectures you might want a slightly smaller one tho
H.P Pavilion is affordable laptop that works excellently and very reliable.

There's going to be very little to separate laptops at that price with the same spec sheets, which you're probably going to looking at either a sixth/seventh generation i3/i5, 4-8GB of RAM and either a 500GB/1TB HDD or a small SSD. For the basic tasks you're doing the difference between a same-gen i3 and i5 won't be particularly noticeable, so I'd focus on finding something with a 120GB SSD for the largest improvement to day to day usability.

Good plan, Thanks

Don't get your hopes up too high for black Friday in the UK, odds are you won't be jumping up a significant performance tier in any area.
Original post by Skuuuudent
Macbook

A.K.A biggest rip off in modern history
Reply 13
Original post by lalaland808
H.P Pavilion is affordable laptop that works excellently and very reliable.

Cheers, ill check it out
Reply 14
Ill start looking around for decent laptops, gonna need a lot of storage space so yeah an SSD will be necessary. Thanks

My sister works at Currys so i can get like 10% off with the sale.
Ill start looking around for decent laptops, gonna need a lot of storage space so yeah an SSD will be necessary. Thanks

My sister works at Currys so i can get like 10% off with the sale.

If you're going to need a lot of storage then an SSD is the opposite of what you need, you'll get significantly less storage space compared to a HDD at the same price. I would personally recommend combining an internal SSD for programs and key files with using an external HDD for storing your media and document libraries, but if you definitely want a large internal drive then look for a laptop with a 1TB HDD instead. You're very unlikely to find a sub-£400 with both an SSD and HDD for under £400, although a hybrid drive is possible and makes an ok middle ground.
Reply 16
Okay thanks for the help, might as well look for a laptop with 1TB HDD even if it might be over the price i don't really care as long as its doing a good job and is fast which i assume means ill need a laptop with at least 8GB RAM.
Reply 18
Original post by Mathemagicien
Just for notes and documents? For half your budget you could get a laptop running linux (a better OS than Windows for most things other than gaming and some proprietry software, a bit like MacOS) and have plenty of money spare. E.g. the Alpha Litebook would probably do you well.

I was hoping someone else would give me a specific brand at least😂

So thanks🌻

Ill check out the alpha litebook

Iv heard HP is really good with their laptops especially with the kind im searching for?
Anything that isn't made by Apple.

More specifically, I've had good experiences with Lenovo (although their Z series/IdeaPad 500 series has plummeted in quality so I switched to another model) over the years. I've heard good things about Asus, although I've never used them. I'd suggest avoiding Dell if possible, as they tend to be somewhat poorly made and have lower lifespans (although their warranty was pretty good and they did basically give me a new laptop every other year while it was in effect, as soon as it wore out I had to buy a new one).

Also I'd strongly recommend getting a 1TB external HDD or something and keeping the bulk of your files on there - this allows you to save money on the main laptop by getting one with less space, and either way also prevents the inevitable slow down as you build up storage use on the laptop and also means if your laptop goes kaput you have your stuff still. If you do get a laptop with a good deal of space you can just use it as a backup, but I'd still suggest keeping non-essential files/things you don't go through on a daily basis, on the external, to avoid the slow down.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending