The Student Room Group

Year 12

Do you think I should choose business/economics for AS and maybe for A level as well ? I am planning to do Biology and Chemistry for A level as I want to do medicine or biomedical science but I think I should do a subject like business for a level. I have not had any previous experience of learning business at GCSE. Is it difficult and does it involve a lot of mathematical calculations ?
Original post by unicorngirl15
Do you think I should choose business/economics for AS and maybe for A level as well ? I am planning to do Biology and Chemistry for A level as I want to do medicine or biomedical science but I think I should do a subject like business for a level. I have not had any previous experience of learning business at GCSE. Is it difficult and does it involve a lot of mathematical calculations ?

Personally, I wouldn't do business or econ if you're looking to go into medicine; I'd take a subject with a bit more gravitas. The classic subjects for a prospective med student are Bio, Chem and Maths, as virtually any med school will accept you with good grades in these. That being said, I think as long as you have another facilitating subject alongside Bio and Chem, you should be OK. I'm not a medic, though - I'm sure someone else will know more than me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SwayzieExpress
Personally, I wouldn't do business or econ if you're looking to go into medicine; I'd take a subject with a bit more gravitas. The classic subjects for a prospective med student are Bio, Chem and Maths, as virtually any med school will accept you with good grades in these. That being said, I think as long as you have another facilitating subject alongside Bio and Chem, you should be OK. I'm not a medic, though - I'm sure someone else will know more than me.

The thing is that I am not too interested in doing maths and that is why i am thinking about doing other subjects instead of maths and physics.
Original post by unicorngirl15
The thing is that I am not too interested in doing maths and that is why i am thinking about doing other subjects instead of maths and physics.

You don't have to do maths and/or physics. I just think business or econ might be seem as a bit of a 'soft' choice.

Quick Reply

Latest