The Student Room Group

Dropping out/changing degrees - right decision or am i just too lazy to do hard work?

So I started doing English Lit at Leeds just over a month ago and I'm having serious doubts about whether English is the right course for me. I've talked with my parents and my tutor and one of my main options is to drop out of university this November then reapply for first year Mathematics for the 2018/2019 course. I'm looking for just more opinions really.

The main reason I'm struggling with English is the sheer amount of reading I have to do, the lack of contact hours and the fact that it feels pretty aimless. I know that all this reading builds up to writing essays so it's not pointless but it feels like my life for the next three years is just going to be reading a book, reading essays about a book then writing about reading essays and books. I think I convinced myself that I could do all this reading and handle such an independent course but now I'm actually here, I have no motivation to do any of my work. Part of me thinks that I'm just lazy and that if I put the effort in then I would want to stay, and that all degrees involve doing lots of reading and that I would feel exactly the same doing mathematics. But the thing is, if I can't handle reading a 10 page essay now, how am I going to cope with the rest of my degree? I know a lot of English students find that they don't like any of the books they're doing, but I do enjoy several of the books and find some of the essays somewhat interesting, but I'm still just reading to get it finished. All my work is a chore. Obviously no one walks into a degree and immediately copes with the workload, and if someone told me I could only do an English degree then it wouldn't be the end of the world, but I can't help but feel like I'm on the wrong path.

My other option for a degree is Maths. I had a manic moment during A levels where I realised I wanted to do it at degree level but I was put off by the requirements for most courses, i.e. the need for further maths & STEP papers, and I also was aware that the most prestigious unis were closed to me for maths but weren't for English (e.g. I got an offer for english at Warwick but don't even have the grades for maths there). I'm seriously considering dropping out and reapplying to Leeds again for Maths (which I meet the requirements for) and a handful of other russell group/respected unis that also offer AAA with no requirement for further or step papers. Maths was genuinely my favourite subject but I'm worried that I would just turn up next year and also hate maths, and that I'm just romanticising the idea of changing degrees because I really don't like reading. I'm also worried that my lack of extra curricular activities related to maths would put me at a disadvantage when applying, but then again, I don't see what the point of not requiring STEP papers for applicants would be if admissions secretly judged you for not doing STEP papers.

I can't help but feel like I would enjoy the challenge of a maths degree more than the challenge of an English degree. But again, I'm worried than I'm just lazy and unmotivated after a 3 months break and that considering doing a maths degree is actually just a really advanced form of procrastination.
Original post by whatevernerds
So I started doing English Lit at Leeds just over a month ago and I'm having serious doubts about whether English is the right course for me. I've talked with my parents and my tutor and one of my main options is to drop out of university this November then reapply for first year Mathematics for the 2018/2019 course. I'm looking for just more opinions really.

The main reason I'm struggling with English is the sheer amount of reading I have to do, the lack of contact hours and the fact that it feels pretty aimless. I know that all this reading builds up to writing essays so it's not pointless but it feels like my life for the next three years is just going to be reading a book, reading essays about a book then writing about reading essays and books. I think I convinced myself that I could do all this reading and handle such an independent course but now I'm actually here, I have no motivation to do any of my work. Part of me thinks that I'm just lazy and that if I put the effort in then I would want to stay, and that all degrees involve doing lots of reading and that I would feel exactly the same doing mathematics. But the thing is, if I can't handle reading a 10 page essay now, how am I going to cope with the rest of my degree? I know a lot of English students find that they don't like any of the books they're doing, but I do enjoy several of the books and find some of the essays somewhat interesting, but I'm still just reading to get it finished. All my work is a chore. Obviously no one walks into a degree and immediately copes with the workload, and if someone told me I could only do an English degree then it wouldn't be the end of the world, but I can't help but feel like I'm on the wrong path.

My other option for a degree is Maths. I had a manic moment during A levels where I realised I wanted to do it at degree level but I was put off by the requirements for most courses, i.e. the need for further maths & STEP papers, and I also was aware that the most prestigious unis were closed to me for maths but weren't for English (e.g. I got an offer for english at Warwick but don't even have the grades for maths there). I'm seriously considering dropping out and reapplying to Leeds again for Maths (which I meet the requirements for) and a handful of other russell group/respected unis that also offer AAA with no requirement for further or step papers. Maths was genuinely my favourite subject but I'm worried that I would just turn up next year and also hate maths, and that I'm just romanticising the idea of changing degrees because I really don't like reading. I'm also worried that my lack of extra curricular activities related to maths would put me at a disadvantage when applying, but then again, I don't see what the point of not requiring STEP papers for applicants would be if admissions secretly judged you for not doing STEP papers.

I can't help but feel like I would enjoy the challenge of a maths degree more than the challenge of an English degree. But again, I'm worried than I'm just lazy and unmotivated after a 3 months break and that considering doing a maths degree is actually just a really advanced form of procrastination.

Is there any particular career you are interested in? looking at where the degree could lead it could help you make a decision.

I feel like dropping out sounds like a good option for you, no motivation usually means lower grades. -its hard to ignore that sinking feeling like ur in the wrong course.
why did you pick English in the first place? some dream job out there? maybe if u think back to why you picked it you could find some motivation there.
you also gotta think why you want to pick maths. whats the end goal? if the fact that you like maths is a good enough reason for you then why not-however who knows it could be a mistake. the best way to find out is to do it
good luck-its a bad situation but not an impossible one which is always nice
Original post by claireestelle
Is there any particular career you are interested in? looking at where the degree could lead it could help you make a decision.

Not really - I did think about publishing, marketing, advertising, etc. My plan after uni was to look for work experience in marketing/publishing/advertising that required any degree, as I know some jobs are picky and only want marketing or business grads but others don't care. I've never really had my heart set on any job (aside from medicine which I changed my mind about and changed sixth forms as a result of that).
Not really - I did think about publishing, marketing, advertising, etc. My plan after uni was to look for work experience in marketing/publishing/advertising that required any degree, as I know some jobs are picky and only want marketing or business grads but others don't care. I've never really had my heart set on any job (aside from medicine which I changed my mind about and changed sixth forms as a result of that).

So you wouldnt want to study business or something related to it? if you think you would definetly be happy doing something maths related then wouldn't accounting be a potential option?
You don't sound happy doing english, i would save give it a bit more time to see if after a couple of assignments you change your mind but you don't sound like you're enjoying it at all
So you wouldnt want to study business or something related to it? if you think you would definetly be happy doing something maths related then wouldn't accounting be a potential option?
You don't sound happy doing english, i would save give it a bit more time to see if after a couple of assignments you change your mind but you don't sound like you're enjoying it at all

Oh no, even though I have a business studies A level I think I'd rather die than do it for a degree. My dad has always pushed me to be an accountant but I don't think I'd like that either.

Yeah, I was thinking of giving it 2/3 weeks before making my final decision, because then that gives me sufficient time to get my stuff sorted for UCAS if I do decide to drop out and reapply.
Oh no, even though I have a business studies A level I think I'd rather die than do it for a degree. My dad has always pushed me to be an accountant but I don't think I'd like that either.

Yeah, I was thinking of giving it 2/3 weeks before making my final decision, because then that gives me sufficient time to get my stuff sorted for UCAS if I do decide to drop out and reapply.

yes give it a couple more weeks, every university has some sort of careers service i think there's no harm in visiting one if you can, at least you could make a list of everything you don't want to do that way.
Reply 7
Would the uni let you transfer now to Maths? Only a couple of weeks in, you can't have missed that much?
Original post by Wimbs
Would the uni let you transfer now to Maths? Only a couple of weeks in, you can't have missed that much?

Nope, I emailed the maths admissions and they said the course is full & I missed the deadline for a change. Plus, I haven't done maths for a year (did 3 years of A levels & all that) so I need to go over A2 work so I wouldn't be able to catch up.
yes give it a couple more weeks, every university has some sort of careers service i think there's no harm in visiting one if you can, at least you could make a list of everything you don't want to do that way.

That's a shout, thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending