The Student Room Group

Option for uni

I have been predicted
A=ICT
D=BIOLOGY
E=MATHS

For my alevel. Can I apply for any courses or not. Need response immediately for ucas. Thank you.
Original post by Hurricane7861
I have been predicted
A=ICT
D=BIOLOGY
E=MATHS

For my alevel. Can I apply for any courses or not. Need response immediately for ucas. Thank you.

first off what do you want to study at uni
Mathematics
Teaching
Computer science
Mathematics
Teaching
Computer science

Why are your predicted grades so low? do they (at least somewhat) reflect your current abilities in those subjects?
Idk and I know if I ask them to change. They won't.

Do you know anything about clearing or adjustment cos I know I ain't gonna do this ****
Should I even apply for uni or not?
Idk and I know if I ask them to change. They won't.

Do you know anything about clearing or adjustment cos I know I ain't gonna do this ****

Ask about your predicted grades, there is no harm in it. You also need to decide what you want to study.

unless you can pull your grade up in maths, there is no chance of you getting an offer for it (and if you get an E in maths, you wouldn't be able to handle a maths degree either unless you took the time to improve first)

What do you want to teach? if it is maths, then the answer is just that you need to pull your maths grade up

Comp sci, do you want the more theoretical side or the more programming side? if the latter then you can look at unis that offer either comp sci or software development etc and see what they ask for. With those grades I would look at applying to places CCC or lower to increase your chances of getting a offer

You go into clearing if you dont get any offers/dont meet your firm + insurance, you will have your grades in hand then so you would know where you could go (that has places). This all happens on and just after results day. You may find yourself not receiving any offers because of the broad range of predicted grades you have so you might be forced to go into clearing (but you wont know til you apply to unis before the deadline in jan as you might get a few offers)

Adjustment is when you exceed your firm choices offer and gives you the chance to go to a different (normally people try to get into a better uni) uni without having to give up your firm offer to go into clearing.

you need to improve your grades in maths and bio but for now see below.

My advice
1. Try ask for higher predicted grades, if you want to apply for comp sci then find some unis that ask for lowish entry grades (around CCC) or ask for ucas points
2. if you want to apply for maths, take a gap year and apply next year with grades in hand.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by madmadmax321
Ask about your predicted grades, there is no harm in it. You also need to decide what you want to study.

unless you can pull your grade up in maths, there is no chance of you getting an offer for it (and if you get an E in maths, you wouldn't be able to handle a maths degree either unless you took the time to improve first)

What do you want to teach? if it is maths, then the answer is just that you need to pull your maths grade up

Comp sci, do you want the more theoretical side or the more programming side? if the latter then you can look at unis that offer either comp sci or software development etc and see what they ask for. With those grades I would look at applying to places CCC or lower to increase your chances of getting a offer

You go into clearing if you dont get any offers/dont meet your firm + insurance, you will have your grades in hand then so you would know where you could go (that has places). This all happens on and just after results day. You may find yourself not receiving any offers because of the broad range of predicted grades you have so you might be forced to go into clearing (but you wont know til you apply to unis before the deadline in jan as you might get a few offers)

Adjustment is when you exceed your firm choices offer and gives you the chance to go to a different (normally people try to get into a better uni) uni without having to give up your firm offer to go into clearing.

you need to improve your grades in maths and bio but for now see below.

My advice
1. Try ask for higher predicted grades, if you want to apply for comp sci then find some unis that ask for lowish entry grades (around CCC) or ask for ucas points
2. if you want to apply for maths, take a gap year and apply next year with grades in hand.

Thank for the advice. I will consider it
Reply 8
I have been predicted
A=ICT
D=BIOLOGY
E=MATHS

Have a look at universities that ask for UCAS points rather than grades as they are usually slightly more flexible. You are very unlikely to be accepted to a maths course with a predicted E in maths though and computer science might also look a bit iffy. If you are confident you can do better but your school won't change their predictions, I would honestly take a gap year if I were you and apply after you have your grades. You could spend the year doing something to improve your application like maths tutoring or learning to code too.

Quick Reply

Latest