The Student Room Group

Choosing IB Subjects for Law

Hi,
I'm interested in studying law in university, and I'm currently choosing my IB subjects right now. I have three questions:

1) I went on webpages of notable universities and I saw that you need to study subjects that render you fairly numerate. I want to take mathematical studies in IB (which is the easiest course), so would diminish a university's perception of my mathematical ability?

2) I was told that I have to take a Higher Level writing-based subject, which means that I need to take either HL English or a Higher Level Humanities course in order for a University to accept my application. The thing is, I'm not terribly confident of my English ability, and I was told that the IB Philosophy syllabus is incredibly challenging. Would universities accept my application if I took both of them at Standard Level to complement each other? Or would I have to take one at Higher Level?

3) I was also told that Universities prefer History over Philosophy. In my school, we go through GCSE and then IB, so the subjects we take in GCSE essentially builds as a foundation towards IB, and I only took GCSE Philosophy and Religious Studies, and not History. Should I still take IB History regardless or should I just stick with Philosophy?

Thank you,
judge2017
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by judge2017
Hi,
I'm interested in studying law in university, and I'm currently choosing my IB subjects right now. I have three questions:

1) I went on webpages of notable universities and I saw that you need to study subjects that render you fairly numerate. I want to take mathematical studies in IB (which is the easiest course), so would diminish a university's perception of my mathematical ability?

2) I was told that I have to take a Higher Level writing-based subject, which means that I need to take either HL English or a Higher Level Humanities course in order for a University to accept my application. The thing is, I'm not terribly confident of my English ability, and I was told that the IB Philosophy syllabus is incredibly challenging. Would universities accept my application if I took both of them at Standard Level to complement each other? Or would I have to take one at Higher Level?

3) I was also told that Universities prefer History over Philosophy. In my school, we go through GCSE and then IB, so the subjects we take in GCSE essentially builds as a foundation towards IB, and I only took GCSE Philosophy and Religious Studies, and not History. Should I still take IB History regardless or should I just stick with Philosophy?

Thank you,
judge2017

Law doesnt require any specific subjects just grades. In certain instances certain unis have a slight preference for traditional subjects so always read their entrance criteria.

1. Not that I have seen.
2. If its part of the IB format, then ok, but required by the unis, then no. Unis will not care take them dont take them. Up to you.
3. Whichever you will get the best grade in . History is possible even if you didnt do GCSE and imo is well suited to law , but its not a requirement. Best grade is what should guide you..

Think you or someone else has managed to misguide you. I am speaking mostly from A levels, but i see no reason why IB should differ. Always check the entrance requirements.
The fact you're doing IB satisfies all requirements for Law at university - to be studying an academically rigorous programme at A-level or equivalent. The fact it necessarily includes a reasonable degree of essay writing and some extracurricular activity is a bonus.

A-level History is "preferred" by many universities for subjects such as law due to the fact it is in general more academically rigorous than comparable other A-level options. IB History is structured and taught somewhat differently so the advice doesn't necessarily apply, although it's by no means a bad option. Any Group 3 subject is acceptable, with the probable exception of Business or Environmental Systems/Studies (forget what it's called now). Take the subjects you are personally most interested in, as it's more likely this interest will sustain you through the course and lead to better results than trying to conform to some arbitrary standard (which as above, is a specific context and not applicable to you anyway).

You do not have to take an HL essay based subject to study Law. You could do HL Maths, Physics and Chemistry and still be well placed to apply to Law successfullly - A-level students with all science subjects apply successfully to the subject, and you would have the benefit of some post-GCSE essay writing from your Group 1/3 (and possibly ToK, although we only did presentations back in my day :wink: )
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Law doesnt require any specific subjects just grades. In certain instances certain unis have a slight preference for traditional subjects so always read their entrance criteria.

1. Not that I have seen.
2. If its part of the IB format, then ok, but required by the unis, then no. Unis will not care take them dont take them. Up to you.
3. Whichever you will get the best grade in . History is possible even if you didnt do GCSE and imo is well suited to law , but its not a requirement. Best grade is what should guide you..

Think you or someone else has managed to misguide you. I am speaking mostly from A levels, but i see no reason why IB should differ. Always check the entrance requirements.

Thank you for the suggestion, it really helped!
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
The fact you're doing IB satisfies all requirements for Law at university - to be studying an academically rigorous programme at A-level or equivalent. The fact it necessarily includes a reasonable degree of essay writing and some extracurricular activity is a bonus.

A-level History is "preferred" by many universities for subjects such as law due to the fact it is in general more academically rigorous than comparable other A-level options. IB History is structured and taught somewhat differently so the advice doesn't necessarily apply, although it's by no means a bad option. Any Group 3 subject is acceptable, with the probable exception of Business or Environmental Systems/Studies (forget what it's called now). Take the subjects you are personally most interested in, as it's more likely this interest will sustain you through the course and lead to better results than trying to conform to some arbitrary standard (which as above, is a specific context and not applicable to you anyway).

You do not have to take an HL essay based subject to study Law. You could do HL Maths, Physics and Chemistry and still be well placed to apply to Law successfullly - A-level students with all science subjects apply successfully to the subject, and you would have the benefit of some post-GCSE essay writing from your Group 1/3 (and possibly ToK, although we only did presentations back in my day :wink: )

Thank you!!! This helped me a lot! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending