The Student Room Group

Predicted lower that I should be...

I just found out that I've been predicted 3As instead of 3A*s at A2, even though I have a flawless academic record. I've applied for medicine at Cambridge and I'm wondering if I still have a chance. Please respond with advice. Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ali Bomaye!
I just found out that I've been predicted 3As instead of 3A*s at A2, even though I have a flawless academic record. I've applied for medicine at Cambridge and I'm wondering if I still have a chance. Please respond with advice. Thanks in advance

Predicted 3 A’s at A2 and applying to Cambridge probably puts you at a disadvantage more than anything :frown: only thing that may help you out is if you come from school/college/sixth form which has has a low grade average, or you’re from an area with a very low progression to higher education.
Another way to pull it back would be to score incredibly high on the BMAT, and that should hopefully get you an interview, but the thing you have to understand is that many applicants to Cambridge will apply with predicted 3A* so unfortunately it looks unlikely that you will get an interview.
Don’t give up hope though, and good luck :smile:
I would try and get the predictions changed if you can or substitute your choice on UCAS if you still can ASAP...there are so many people applying that if you don't meet the minimum requirements it'll put you at a disadvantage...

If you have a flawless academic record then go and ask the people that set your predicted grades why you have been predicted that and if they would raise it (even if you only get A*AA its still a bit better)
Thanks a lot guys! I actually spoke to the head and my predictions have been upgraded to 4A*s. The universities and ucas have been called and notified, with a written record provided. Hopefully this won't negatively impact my application but as much damage control as was possible has been done.
Original post by Volibear
Wtf

What's wrong?
You went from being predicted 3As to 4A*s. What did you do, bribe your teachers?

No lol. They were too cowardly to predict me what I deserved and I pointed out my academic record.
No lol. They were too cowardly to predict me what I deserved and I pointed out my academic record.

Good for you to stand up for yourself and the grades you deserve, teachers don't realise the impacts their predictions have on our futures. If you deserve the grades I don't see why you shouldn't get them
Original post by Milky_Way
Good for you to stand up for yourself and the grades you deserve, teachers don't realise the impacts their predictions have on our futures. If you deserve the grades I don't see why you shouldn't get them

Sadly I just found out that Edinburgh are refusing to update the grades. Doubt I have much of a chance now tbh, even though my UKCAT was high... After this half term, I'm going to look these teachers in the eye and let them know how they've affected my chances
Reply 9
"too cowardly to predict me what I deserved"...with that attitude you're lucky that you clearly go to a school that has more liberal predicted grades policies.

That's one possibility but I think you're probably jumping to conclusions a bit there. Whilst it is a little odd, it is quite conceivable the OP did indeed merit 4A* and perhaps the teachers didn't realise the implications of their predictions.
Sadly I just found out that Edinburgh are refusing to update the grades. Doubt I have much of a chance now tbh, even though my UKCAT was high... After this half term, I'm going to look these teachers in the eye and let them know how they've affected my chances

:frown: Let us know how it goes! Best of luck for your other unis

Where else did you apply?
True, but I am under the impression that if a person assumed the would be predicted 4A*s, based upon their academic record (i.e. being in the position to realistically achieve 4A*s), then they would at least be predicted one A* first time round. Then again, with the new linear A-levels there may be more reluctance in making predictions like this considering it's more risky.

Schools also are cautious because they don't want a reputation of predicting students too high and then students not achieving them
"too cowardly to predict me what I deserved"...with that attitude you're lucky that you clearly go to a school that has more liberal predicted grades policies.

"with that attitude" erm no, it's you who's got the bad attitude. Don't be jealous.
True, but I am under the impression that if a person assumed the would be predicted 4A*s, based upon their academic record (i.e. being in the position to realistically achieve 4A*s), then they would at least be predicted one A* first time round. Then again, with the new linear A-levels there may be more reluctance in making predictions like this considering it's more risky.

Maybe there was a mistake. Or maybe they were harsh the first time.
Well obviously but I don't think most student are in line to achieve 4A*s

And on what basis do you think OP isn't one of them?
Well obviously but I don't think most student are in line to achieve 4A*s

True but then unis will know that prediction wasn't made without deliberation, I don't think they would have given it without his academic record
I never said they weren't. That was in reply to the point about the school be cautious about predicting unrealistically. If OP is a student who is likely to achieve four A*s (based on academic record) and goes to a school that has a more relaxed predicted grade policy, then I PERSONALLY find it surprising that not one of their teachers originally predicted them an A*.

And what makes you think he goes to a school with a more relaxed predicted grade policy? Maybe there was an error made the first time (since according to OP they have a good academic record) or they were predicted harshly the first time. The fact that they didn't get one A* prediction is irrelevant since predictions for each grade are intrinsically independent from each other.

You have no idea what circumstances affected OP yet you have the audacity to make such stupid claims.

Seems like you're trying very very hard to undermine OP. Maybe it's you trying to make yourself feel better for your own failures.
Very mature.

I didn't fail getting into medicine. When I was 18 I had no intention of studying it despite having the grades and everyone else wanting me to. I developed the desire through my degree, the experiences I've had and the people I've me.

whatever lets you sleep at night
:rolleyes:

With your attitude you're not getting into GEM. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending