The Student Room Group

Will my GCSE's affect chances at Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InferInfer
Ah good to know. Ty

Although just so you know he did apply to oxford and didnt get in because apparently he didnt have CS a level and you needed it. so you should really look into it first
Original post by Doonesbury
No.

No.

You can continue to aspire for Cambridge if you wish. Your A-levels/CSAT/etc are much more important, and given the context of your GCSEs they are fne anyway.

Im pretty sure i read somewhere on Cambridge that they almost flat-out said a computer science A level is pointless (in more appropriate words) since what is covered in those 2 years, they cover in first year of the degree

Original post by black1blade
Complex numbers are such an awesome topic! So are you on the new maths specification?

Complex numbers was so much fun, it finally explained all those i's that appeared on my calculator, and yh i am doing the new spec for both maths and further maths
Original post by Ismaeel Ali
Reformed A levels D: We are doing As levels but they count for sh*t for A2 and since im taking all 3 a levels to A2, my AS are important for just predicted grades. I've heard isac physics is great, ill have to start using it. Half term so im going to get a lot of work done. I will definitely check out the Math stuff as i have an abnormal love towards math.

Thanks for the link it will prove invaluable, although the description of those level 5 and 6 problems are scaring me lol. If i were to change my mind about comp sci, i would most likely change to maths, ill probably make a more informed decision once i've learnt python and see if i enjoy that language, i've only played around with it and enjoyed what i did try.

The year 12 mentoring scheme also sounds really intresting, im just so motivated to do great at AS exams

Yeah if you get AAA in your as exams cambridge would be v impressed with that. Even more so if you got significantly above the A boundaries aka would have gotten an A* grade if it was available at as :smile:. Also yeah don't worry about the level 5 and 6 problems til like the end of year 13 XD.
Yeah if you get AAA in your as exams cambridge would be v impressed with that. Even more so if you got significantly above the A boundaries aka would have gotten an A* grade if it was available at as :smile:. Also yeah don't worry about the level 5 and 6 problems til like the end of year 13 XD.

That is my end goal, I just have to work Extremely hard, i've never been one of those people who can just achieve good grades (although they dont exist at A level) but even for GCSE's i had to work my ass off for those grades whilst some people got similar grades to mine with little to no revision, so it will be a challenge but im ready for it :biggrin:
That is my end goal, I just have to work Extremely hard, i've never been one of those people who can just achieve good grades (although they dont exist at A level) but even for GCSE's i had to work my ass off for those grades whilst some people got similar grades to mine with little to no revision, so it will be a challenge but im ready for it :biggrin:

Yeah but those people who didn't work hard for gcse will get bitten in the ass at a-level because if you try do a-level without LOADS of work you wont do well. If you put the same amount of work as you put at gcse (if not greater) but it's just focused on maths and physics then that'll pay off I'm sure. That said especially at the start of year 12 try not to put too much pressure on yourself. Easier said than done but yeah at the start of year 12 I didn't feel like I was doing too great and the A* in maths definitely felt out of my reach til like half way in.
Yeah but those people who didn't work hard for gcse will get bitten in the ass at a-level because if you try do a-level without LOADS of work you wont do well. If you put the same amount of work as you put at gcse (if not greater) but it's just focused on maths and physics then that'll pay off I'm sure. That said especially at the start of year 12 try not to put too much pressure on yourself. Easier said than done but yeah at the start of year 12 I didn't feel like I was doing too great and the A* in maths definitely felt out of my reach til like half way in.

I dont do anything more than the homework and revision for the 2 math exams we've had and 2 physics exams we've had. Saying that however im on my third 140 page notebook because we get ALOT of homework and i do every question (Although optional) but its seeming to pay off since im getting good marks in my tests.
I dont do anything more than the homework and revision for the 2 math exams we've had and 2 physics exams we've had. Saying that however im on my third 140 page notebook because we get ALOT of homework and i do every question (Although optional) but its seeming to pay off since im getting good marks in my tests.

Yeah maths and physics are all about practice so keep working hard. When it comes to exam period just do as many past papers as possible. Doing well in is tests is definitely a nice feeling even though they don't count. Got 96% in a mechanics exam that the rest of the class didn't do great in! And yeah I've gone through 2 150 page note pads in the first term this year.
Yeah maths and physics are all about practice so keep working hard. When it comes to exam period just do as many past papers as possible. Doing well in is tests is definitely a nice feeling even though they don't count. Got 96% in a mechanics exam that the rest of the class didn't do great in! And yeah I've gone through 2 150 page note pads in the first term this year.

New spec, we only have spec papers :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: I will end up doing the old spec papers anyway, thats wat i did for my math gcse, i just overdosed on past papers till 2011 GCSE, since we only had 12 spec papers to prepare i finished them quickly
New spec, we only have spec papers :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: I will end up doing the old spec papers anyway, thats wat i did for my math gcse, i just overdosed on past papers till 2011 GCSE, since we only had 12 spec papers to prepare i finished them quickly

Yeah I did like all the old spec past papers for physics as and it paid off. If you are on ocr for physics then you can do both the A and B specimen and past papers (that's what I did for chem) and I mean most specifications are p similar, you could do other exam boards papers.
Yeah I did like all the old spec past papers for physics as and it paid off. If you are on ocr for physics then you can do both the A and B specimen and past papers (that's what I did for chem) and I mean most specifications are p similar, you could do other exam boards papers.

I am doing OCR, ill have to check them out closer to exam period, i dont want to see any until closer to the actual exam so i can get the most out of them
I am doing OCR, ill have to check them out closer to exam period, i dont want to see any until closer to the actual exam so i can get the most out of them

Yeah cool, ocr A is more straight science but B is more applied however syllabus for both is fairly similar.
Reply 31
Original post by AllonsEnfants!
Well, for History at Christ's it certainly wouldn't according to the following information obtained under a FOI request for 2016 admissions (Source:WhatDoTheyKnow.com):

Please don't crosspost, especially non-constructively - this thread is about CompSci. And we've already discussed you don't know the reasons for rejection.
Reply 32
Original post by AllonsEnfants!
Sorry, the title of the thread was:

"Will my GCSE's affect chances at Cambridge?"

So I thought it was relevant to post information (albeit for another course at Cambridge) that clearly shows GCSEs don't matter as students with 11 A* were rejected in favour of those with 2 A* and lower predicted UMS grades. I don't think it is cross-posting as I have not posted this before; only a link to the data.

I am truly shocked by the information as it raises all sorts of questions.

It now strikes me that David Lammy has a point, but was barking up the wrong tree. To guard against accusation of nepotism and racism, the Oxbridge admissions process (all stages) should be more transparent and records kept at every stage of the process. Digitized recordings of the interviews should be kept along with all paperwork. Decisions can then be independently scrutinised to ensure they are fair. At the moment, it's just too vague.

So I thought it was relevant given that it clearly shows (albeit for another that they clearly don't.

As per my posting tip, start a new thread on this topic if you wish. It's not constructive to this thread.
No, the website says that any prior knowledge is not necesarry but say maths and further maths (for 2019 entry) is necessary with physics being desired,

Ah well, thank you for your response, ill just aspire for universoty of manchester (unless the C will also ruin my chances there too?)

I don't think a C in french will ruin your chances unless you're applying for a computer science degree with a year abroad
Original post by Reece.W.J
That C in French has ruined your chances

... because CS at Cambridge is taught 3/4 in French, what a crying shame.
Feel free to peruse the Peterhouse/Christ's AT thread from a couple weeks ago where they said about 15 times apiece that GCSEs are never considered by themselves, don't have much weighting on the overall process, and neither has rejected a student purely on the basis of GCSEs before.
Original post by etothepiiplusone
... because CS at Cambridge is taught 3/4 in French, what a crying shame.

Its really comforting to hear this, cause when the dude replied that i was so distraught lmao
Got similar results but a C in art , will that ruin my chances?
Original post by ShikaMekiFuka
Got similar results but a C in art , will that ruin my chances?

From the feedback of my results I highly doubt it, just ace your AS and you'll be fine :biggrin:
Reply 39
No, the website says that any prior knowledge is not necesarry but say maths and further maths (for 2019 entry) is necessary with physics being desired,

You only need Further Maths if you're doing Computer Science with Maths (for 2019+ entry), for normal Computer Science you only need Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending