The Student Room Group

Which are the most lucrative/competitive roles in the Big 4?

Which roles tend to be the highest paid?

Which roles tend to give you the best opportunities if you want to move in other sectors (banks, etc) or companies?

By roles, I'm talking about: audit, assurance, actuary, consulting, deals, financial advisory, technology, tax, etc.....
CEO
Original post by sleepless steve
Which roles tend to be the highest paid?

Which roles tend to give you the best opportunities if you want to move in other sectors (banks, etc) or companies?

By roles, I'm talking about: audit, assurance, actuary, consulting, deals, financial advisory, technology, tax, etc.....

strategy consulting
deals/corporate finance/TAS
normal consulting/advisory/actuarial
audit/tax

everything else

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
strategy consulting
deals/corporate finance/TAS
normal consulting/advisory/actuarial
audit/tax

everything else

Posted from TSR Mobile

In that order? So strategy consulting is the most lucrative, then corporate finance, etc?
In that order? So strategy consulting is the most lucrative, then corporate finance, etc?

roughly, yes. corp fin doesn't seem to pay as well as I thought after speaking to a few people in the role. they're definitely the two highest paying roles though.
roughly, yes. corp fin doesn't seem to pay as well as I thought after speaking to a few people in the role. they're definitely the two highest paying roles though.

By the way, is audit the same as 'assurance'? They're both accountancy aren't they?

what do you think about starting off in audit/assurance, getting the ACA qualification and then moving into consulting? Is it fairly easy to do?

Not sure if my worries are misplaced, but I fear just doing consulting wouldn't leave me with any firm skills. Whereas if I start off in accounting and get the ACA, if the economy screws up, I've at least got something extra to fall back on.
By the way, is audit the same as 'assurance'? They're both accountancy aren't they?

what do you think about starting off in audit/assurance, getting the ACA qualification and then moving into consulting? Is it fairly easy to do?

Not sure if my worries are misplaced, but I fear just doing consulting wouldn't leave me with any firm skills. Whereas if I start off in accounting and get the ACA, if the economy screws up, I've at least got something extra to fall back on.

yes.

I'm not sure how easy that switch is tbh.

The ACA is great but ultimately is treasured for very different roles to the skillset consulting offers. ACAs here do tend to get a bit more interest from the finance world - i.e. your banks, asset managers etc. Which is a plus but it's still just a certification and certainly not the be all and end all of professional development.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why is accounting so low?

surely after you complete the aca qualification, you'll be making more than consultants and corporate finance people, not to mention as well that investment banks love hiring accountants, so the exit opportunities to work are ££££££££££££
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jaynnmmmhouse

surely after you complete the aca qualification, you'll be making more than consultants and corporate finance people, not to mention as well that investment banks love hiring accountants, so the exit opportunities to work are ££££££££££££

some exit opps pay well sure, but staying at a big4 and then going into traditional accounting roles would compensate a lot lower than what's available to people in corpfin or consulting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by jaynnmmmhouse

The starting salary isn't as high as banking or consulting but remember that finance directors make a lot and a lot of accounting jobs are outside London where the cost of living is far lower. Same can't be said for banking
some exit opps pay well sure, but staying at a big4 and then going into traditional accounting roles would compensate a lot lower than what's available to people in corpfin or consulting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So basically, accounting would only pay more in the long run compared to consulting if you go into investment banking?
CEO like HHH or Vince McMahon
So basically, accounting would only pay more in the long run compared to consulting if you go into investment banking?

yh
For Deloitte, how do these grad roles compare in terms of competitiveness of getting the job, money, and exit opportunities?

Financial Advisory (restructuring, transaction, M&A, etc)

vs

Strategy and Operations Consulting, Monitor Deloitte

Would you say that Financial Advisory is better for going into Investment Banking later on?
(edited 6 years ago)
For Deloitte, how do these grad roles compare in terms of competitiveness of getting the job, money, and exit opportunities?

Financial Advisory (restructuring, transaction, M&A, etc)

vs

Strategy and Operations Consulting, Monitor Deloitte

Would you say that Financial Advisory is better for going into Investment Banking later on?

yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending