The Student Room Group

EmilySarah00’s 2017/18 struggle to University (A*AA)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by agaaga1010
Congratulations on your Lancaster offer!! I'm so jealous of that Dominos tbh :tongue:

It was really good pizza not going to lie :drool: And thanks a lot! :grin:
Loving this GYG Blog!
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Loving this GYG Blog!

Thank you! :cute:
31/10/17 Update - Mathsy Halloween! :reaper::

Trust me, I tried to think of a better pun for the title but didn't succeed so this is what we're left with. It's now only 2 days until the MAT and I'm trying to keep myself positive and motivated. Going to college today was probably good for me as it got me out of the house for once and took my mind off the MAT for a short while at least.

I woke up today the earliest I have in well over a week and it was such a struggle! I reluctantly dragged myself out of bed and into college, luckily I only had 2 lessons to ease myself back into it. I first had Computer Science in which I spent the hour making some theory revision posters (they're a long working process, pictures will be to come once I begin plastering them up on my wall!) I then had an hour of Further Maths where I did some FP4 questions on Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors (fun fun fun! :laugh:)

Then I came home and prepared myself for yet another MAT paper. Today I challenged myself to doing the 2016 paper, to time, in exam conditions. I was really tired while doing it for the first half especially but that was no excuse for the worst multiple choice score yet, 2/10 (yeah you heard me right... 2!) There was like 3 questions where i'd whittled the possible 5 options down to 2 and then picked the wrong one out of those two which was awfully frustrating. I picked myself up a little on the lengthier questions doing slightly better than I would normally. However the bad outweighed the good and I ended up with 44/100 marks which slowly becoming nearer to my average score :sadnod:

Finally I did my first out of three lessons worth of maths catch up making some Halloween colour inspired M1 notes on Resultant and Resolving Forces (with a break in the middle to watch the Bake Off Finale!) I spent way longer than I should have on them to be honest but I'll include a picture of one of the sheets below :cute:

IMG_7464 (1).jpg

So that's it for today, the looming dread will probably come across more in tomorrow's update but we'll soon see :s:
Until then,
-Emily x

Spooky Squad :jacko: :

Spoiler

Original post by EmilySarah00

Trust me, I tried to think of a better pun for the title but didn't succeed so this is what we're left with. It's now only 2 days until the MAT and I'm trying to keep myself positive and motivated. Going to college today was probably good for me as it got me out of the house for once and took my mind off the MAT for a short while at least.

I woke up today the earliest I have in well over a week and it was such a struggle! I reluctantly dragged myself out of bed and into college, luckily I only had 2 lessons to ease myself back into it. I first had Computer Science in which I spent the hour making some theory revision posters (they're a long working process, pictures will be to come once I begin plastering them up on my wall!) I then had an hour of Further Maths where I did some FP4 questions on Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors (fun fun fun! :laugh:)

Then I came home and prepared myself for yet another MAT paper. Today I challenged myself to doing the 2016 paper, to time, in exam conditions. I was really tired while doing it for the first half especially but that was no excuse for the worst multiple choice score yet, 2/10 (yeah you heard me right... 2!) There was like 3 questions where i'd whittled the possible 5 options down to 2 and then picked the wrong one out of those two which was awfully frustrating. I picked myself up a little on the lengthier questions doing slightly better than I would normally. However the bad outweighed the good and I ended up with 44/100 marks which slowly becoming nearer to my average score :sadnod:

Finally I did my first out of three lessons worth of maths catch up making some Halloween colour inspired M1 notes on Resultant and Resolving Forces (with a break in the middle to watch the Bake Off Finale!) I spent way longer than I should have on them to be honest but I'll include a picture of one of the sheets below :cute:

IMG_7464 (1).jpg

So that's it for today, the looming dread will probably come across more in tomorrow's update but we'll soon see :s:
Until then,
-Emily x

Spoiler

if the services are required I can sit in the back of the exam hall as a cheerleader during the MAT sitting :rofl:
Original post by AryanGh
if the services are required I can sit in the back of the exam hall as a cheerleader during the MAT sitting :rofl:

That would be a great help! Pop over on Thursday yeah? :rofl3:
@RoyalSheepy is of course a gem in making tag-lists, which are currently the bane of my life.:mad:

This post has made me very glad I am no longer doing maths. C3 and C4 were enough for me.:redface:
That would be a great help! Pop over on Thursday yeah?

yeah sure I'll just cop some pom poms off eBay and distract the other candidates in every exam hall in the country to bring down the national average so low that you ended up maxing it
Original post by 04MR17
@RoyalSheepy is of course a gem in making tag-lists, which are currently the bane of my life.:mad:

This post has made me very glad I am no longer doing maths. C3 and C4 were enough for me.:redface:

You made a wonderful tag list in 3117 posts before halloween, credit where credit's due there! :adore:

And I'm not even into the thick of C3 and C4 yet so really looking forward to that :laugh:

IMG_7464 (1).jpg

Until then,
-Emily x

Spoiler

Your notes are so pretty! I wish mine were like that but no matter how hard I try they always seem to end up messy:colonhash:.
If I keep seeing those pastel highlighters I might just go out and buy some for myself :biggrin:
Original post by agaaga1010
Your notes are so pretty! I wish mine were like that but no matter how hard I try they always seem to end up messy:colonhash:.
If I keep seeing those pastel highlighters I might just go out and buy some for myself :biggrin:

Ah thank you! :grin: The pastel highlighters are definitely a worthy investment, I got them half price for £4 and it may be the best £4 I ever spent!
Original post by AryanGh
yeah sure I'll just cop some pom poms off eBay and distract the other candidates in every exam hall in the country to bring down the national average so low that you ended up maxing it

Foolproof plan of you ask me! :giggle:

Well done on getting your blog featured by the way, very well deserved! :tongue:
Foolproof plan of you ask me! :giggle:

Well done on getting your blog featured by the way, very well deserved! :tongue:

Top Tip: Usually for frustrating questions, especially pertaining to Math, just throwing my calculator at the paper usually helps.

Thank you! I didn't realise it got featured until like 6 hours later lol! i feel obliged to update it now lmao
You made a wonderful tag list in 3117 posts before halloween, credit where credit's due there! :adore:

And I'm not even into the thick of C3 and C4 yet so really looking forward to that :laugh:
Well that's relatively easy if you know how to find the list of people who posted in the thread, which is I assume what his majesty the sheep used.:cool:

A quote-list where users can opt in and opt out using their own free will is very difficult to keep track of when there's 50 people on the list.

People take to it differently. I can't predict how you'll do. Lots of people loath C3 trigonometry but I didn't mind it.

I actually did better on C4 than C3 (only one in class to do so) because both exams were in the same week and it got to a point where I stopped revising for C3 and focused on C4
Original post by AryanGh
Top Tip: Usually for frustrating questions, especially pertaining to Math, just throwing my calculator at the paper usually helps.

Thank you! I didn't realise it got featured until like 6 hours later lol! i feel obliged to update it now lmao

The flaw in that tip is that I don't get a calculator (tragic I know!) I'll definitely be trying that in my A-Level exams though, particularly FP4 :rofl:

And I'll be looking forward to the new updates then :lol:
Original post by 04MR17
Well that's relatively easy if you know how to find the list of people who posted in the thread, which is I assume what his majesty the sheep used.:cool:

A quote-list where users can opt in and opt out using their own free will is very difficult to keep track of when there's 50 people on the list.

People take to it differently. I can't predict how you'll do. Lots of people loath C3 trigonometry but I didn't mind it.

I actually did better on C4 than C3 (only one in class to do so) because both exams were in the same week and it got to a point where I stopped revising for C3 and focused on C4

Ah I forget you're both all knowing beings :ninja:unlike moi!

I've done C3 Trig and I can't say I was a fan, will definitely take some getting used to but then I should be alright, after the MAT maybe C3 and 4 will seem simple (we can hope) :laugh:

And I just checked and for me C3 and C4 are 2 days apart so that's just great... I'll have to balance my time between the two efficiently!
Ah I forget you're both all knowing beings :ninja:unlike moi!

I've done C3 Trig and I can't say I was a fan, will definitely take some getting used to but then I should be alright, after the MAT maybe C3 and 4 will seem simple (we can hope) :laugh:

And I just checked and for me C3 and C4 are 2 days apart so that's just great... I'll have to balance my time between the two efficiently!
The balance isn't too difficult until it gets to exam frenzy time. That's when it becomes very easy to follow the crowd and revise for the first exam because it's so soon! And by the time that's done you really do not have the energy to hit C4
Original post by 04MR17
The balance isn't too difficult until it gets to exam frenzy time. That's when it becomes very easy to follow the crowd and revise for the first exam because it's so soon! And by the time that's done you really do not have the energy to hit C4

I made that exact mistake with S2 last year, now I'm having to debate resitting it (but slowly thinking maybe not...) So hopefully I won't repeat my mistakes :laugh:
I made that exact mistake with S2 last year, now I'm having to debate resitting it (but slowly thinking maybe not...) So hopefully I won't repeat my mistakes :laugh:
I never re-sat anything and was glad I didn't (and wasn't forced to by the numbers).

Someone else re-sat everything, so did 9 maths exams and was happy with her results.
Original post by 04MR17
I never re-sat anything and was glad I didn't (and wasn't forced to by the numbers).

Someone else re-sat everything, so did 9 maths exams and was happy with her results.

Resitting S2 would help me be able to get an A* in Further Maths I just don't know if it's worth it. I'm so scared of missing the A* in Maths bc it's all down to C3 and 4 where as in FM it's more lenient

Ah well I have until February to decide :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending