The Student Room Group

Will I need a laptop for Uni??

So like I said in the title, will I need a laptop for uni?

If yes, what specs should I look for?

Any recommendations?
Reply 2
Original post by AtomicPlaty

Most probably, for any real productivity.

Edit: specs wise, an Intel i5 is pretty solid, equip that with 8gb of RAM (to be safe) and if you want to do any rendering, intense work or anything throw in a graphics card gtx 960m upwards.

But that's really overdoing it. Bare bones you need an Intel i3, 4gb RAM.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SyedHB
Most probably, for any real productivity.
Macbooks are always a student's friend.

Or a mil-spec, tough, durable Lenovo ThinkPad that you can throw a few meters across the room and spill coffee all over the keyboard without the machine breaking :wink:

Perfect for the hap-hazard student.
Reply 4
Original post by Blue_Cow
Or a mil-spec, tough, durable Lenovo ThinkPad that you can throw a few meters across the room and spill coffee all over the keyboard without the machine breaking :wink:

Perfect for the hap-hazard student.

Damn, I forgot to account for the hap-hazard student.
Original post by AngryJellyfish

Thanks
Thanks guys

funny enough I have been looking at the thinkpads.
Original post by AtomicPlaty

If yes, what specs should I look for?

Any recommendations?

They are useful and some would say essential. It alos depends on course.
Uni will have pcs available for students, but having your own is more convenient, especially if you want to work at home.

You can always go to uni without one and see if you can cope without. You could also have a desktop.

Prices for budget laptops are in the £300-600 category. If you are an Applemac.fan then you are closer to £1,000.

If you arent at uni now then specs will change so its a bit pointless worrying about specs. Just get one suitable to your budget. An i3 or i5 with 8gb ram and a 250gb ssd should be fine. AMD are bringing out some new laptops that should offer more power for less money. Things could be a lot different y the time you go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending