The Student Room Group

What do you think of Jacob Rees-Mogg?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
There was a Peston on Sunday around this time last year (or before Article 50 was triggered anyway) in which McDonald basically admitted that he supported Brexit but that they could not leave and have a 'Tory' (presumably free market rather than protectionist ect..) Brexit. Corbyn is likely the same.

McDonnell is more pro Brexit than Corbyn.

At the time of the referendum, the idea of a left wing Brexit seeemed barely a possibility. Rather it seemed that Brexit would lead to more unrestrained free market capitalism.

Now that Corbyn is seen as having a genuinely decent chance of being PM, it's not so straight forward. I will want him to be radical as a leader, nationalising keg industries and onvetssint significantly into others.

The great irony of course is that it may well be Corbyn who benefits most from the Brexit that right wing Tories fought so hard for.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bornblue
You weren't. I did not say that those on the right set out to screw over poor people. But their actions, such as cutting benefits and tax credits often have that effect.

I also saw JRM said that it was a great thing that there are food banks because it shows peoples' generosity. That hardly strikes me as being 'in touch'. Any society in which people have to rely on charities to afford to eat, is one which has failed to look after its people. Personally I don't think mothers queuing outside foodbanks for emergency food to have to feed their kids, to be a great thing.

Largely because we took an issue with several layers and several parts and expected everyone to take a binary position on it. I was unsure about the EU. There were bits I liked and disliked. I'm guessing Corbyn was the same, Yes he disliked large bits of it, but that doesn't necessarily mean he thought the alternative was better.

He definitely did not 'actively sabotage' the remain campaign. Accuse him of not campaigning that hard, fine, but that's about it. His position was probably along the lines of 'the EU has several problems and urgently needs reform but on balance we're better off in'.

I mean, he hasn't. The political right often complain that the left doesn't let them debate their opinion. Yet if someone on the left criticises free market capitalism, they get called a Marxist/extremist and if they so much as question British foreign policy, they get called a terrorist sympathiser. You can't moan about people not respecting your right to hold an opinion if you try to make out that anyone who holds a different opinion to yourself is bad or dangerous.

You can't really complain about authoritarianism while yearning for a social conservative who wants to tell people how to live their lives and what they can do with their own bodies and relationships.

But what actual policies do you expect him to introduce? Cameron was a free marketeer, how would Mogg be different?

Those who support him seem really vague on what they think or even expect him to actually do were he to become leader.

This debate is increasingly stupid because you insist on arguing against things I have never said. Where have I said I yearn for Rees-Mogg? The strongest I have said is that I prefer him to May, whom I have despised since long before she was PM.

But I stand by my comments on Corbyn. The British public has apparently decided they aren't that bothered by his extremely dubious record, and that concerns me. But it certainly does not mean I have to mollify my opinions of a man who has spent a career supporting every tin-pot anti-western cause going.
Original post by generallee
Of course you say that. Think that. Who admits to being narrow minded, even to themselves?

This is hardly complicated stuff. No-one has to agree with you (or me, or anyone else) on everything, and if they don't it doesn't make them a piece of sh it.

Who earth are you to think you know all the answers?? To judge others?

Lol okay time you stepped outside and got off the internet. This isn't that deep.
Original post by bones-mccoy
Lol okay time you stepped outside and got off the internet. This isn't that deep.

Not if you are shallow. :biggrin:
it would be wonderful to have an enthusiastic Catholic in charge. he could start by getting rid of the discriminatory laws about Catholics being forbidden to ascend the throne.
I lived in Batheaston back in June, at the time of the election, which was just in his parliamentary constituency. So i hold the perhaps unique view of being one of the few people here who had a chance to vote for him in an election.

I voted against him. For many reasons.
1) He represents the old school Tory archetype....Eton alumni, posh, rich...to the extent he even got his childhood nanny to canvass with him in a 1997 campaign for the Fife constituency. So I instantly find nothing relatable about him.

2) In an interview once, i heard him suggest that the rich were the "wealth creators" of our society, and if we treat them too unfairly (i.e. with higher taxes), then none of their wealth would trickle down. Right. Cause trickle-down economics for the rich works wonders for the poor, when they can stash their cash in offshore tax havens (for the record, I am from Guernsey, which is one of said havens...and living here sucks too)

3) He is a strong supporter of raising tuition fees....as soon who has just come off the back of 4 years at uni, and someone who doesn't have the luxury of student loans (that's guernsey for you), my parents have been forced to fork out £50,000 for me to get a degree and have a chance at pursuing my desired career (scientific research, fyi-more specifically, with a medical focus). I don't see how I should essentially be punished for wanting to study a subject, and get a career that is potentially useful to the human race. Plenty of European countries out there that offer free tuition to their students, and they're doing just fine

4) He supports Donald trump, and has been a passionate defender of him. Need i say more?
Reply 106
A jumped up papist who needs to pipe down with his antediluvian views.
Original post by Puppo
lol JRM and corbyn are both awful, although I am left wing and so if pushed would still rather corbyn. They are both frankly awful candidates for PM and would probably be more incompetent than Theresa.

why don't you like corbyn??
Reply 108
Original post by cactuss
why don't you like corbyn??

Why ever not?
Original post by Puppo
Why ever not?

idk he seems like a pretty good guy
Reply 110
Original post by cactuss
idk he seems like a pretty good guy

that's fine we all have different opinions. For me I don't think he's effective and lacks charisma. He strains too hard to be "normal" and "working class" when he is the complete opposite. He is utterly vapid and no appearance on goggle box is going to mask that. This meticulously cultivated persona alongside his complacency (eg his frankly shocking lack of action during the brexit vote) make for an unelectable politician. As I have my reasons for not being a fan, I'm sure you have your reasons for the contrary. I so miss the days of Tony Benn.
Original post by Puppo
that's fine we all have different opinions. For me I don't think he's effective and lacks charisma. He strains too hard to be "normal" and "working class" when he is the complete opposite. He is utterly vapid and no appearance on goggle box is going to mask that. This meticulously cultivated persona alongside his complacency (eg his frankly shocking lack of action during the brexit vote) make for an unelectable politician. As I have my reasons for not being a fan, I'm sure you have your reasons for the contrary. I so miss the days of Tony Benn.

I don't want to argue with you, i have just heard people saying that they don't like him and wanted to know exactly why so I could make a proper decision about him.
Pretty sad that goofball antics are enough to make people ignore his poor record on same-sex marriage and women's rights.
Reply 114
Original post by cactuss
I don't want to argue with you, i have just heard people saying that they don't like him and wanted to know exactly why so I could make a proper decision about him.

Who said anyone's arguing? You asked a perfectly civil question and I responded in kind. It's good that you're trying to make an informed decision - so many hollow-headed sheep these days.
He's a man who I hope is not an MP after the next General Election.
Original post by KingHarold
He's a man who I hope is not an MP after the next General Election.

Well he got 53% of the vote in 2017 so good luck with that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending