The Student Room Group

My boyfriend dumped me over these reasons

My boyfriend dumped me last week because he said I have shown him continuous disrespect. Now I know many girls will say this but I am extremely loyal and loving as a gf. I haven’t chatted to anyone else, I show him I love him in numerous ways and as does he. He has a fearful avoidant attachment style and he dumped me because he lost trust in me in December when I had lied about my past. I know it’s bad and I eat myself up about it all the time, I lied about the timelines of when I ended things with my ex as I just wanted a fresh start from such a traumatising back and forth cycle, and with my boyfriend (who’s now my ex) I just didn’t wanna tell him everything. I understand this was wrong, and we had many convos about this and eventually got past it. He then read through my conversations with my bestfriend of 10 years and obviously, girls talk, I sent her loads of jacob elordi edits, and also I told her about a dream I had with a “sexy surfer guy” and a “nerdy tech guy”. He read some of these when I was asleep. He found these things really disrespectful to boast about in a relationship and abnormal. But I’m ngl as if I’d pick Nate jacobs over my bf whom I love and know very much!! I also had told her about a intimate time between me and my boyfriend and said I didn’t really enjoy it and my friend just laughed, but this was our first intimate experience and I get this must have been uncomfy to read for him. He said after he gave me a second chance, although I’ve been a great gf, the disrespect continued (with all of these things) and he thinks we should go our seperate ways. I won’t lie, I love this boy more than myself and I get, the things I did were bad and I want to learn and grow from this, as we are only 20 years old! And growing and making mistakes is part of a relationship, but he thinks it’ll happen again. It’s understandable because what I did was wrong, and he still broke up with me with a lot of love and he wasn’t finding it too easy either. But idk what to do, I love him a lot I just made stupid mindless mistakes because me and my bestfriend talk about everything and have weird banter. The lying is not justified but I was just embarrassed about my past and going back to my ex many times (which doesn’t make my dishonesty right). I know where I’ve ****ed up but I just really love this guy and I want to change and be better for him, but idk what to do. I told my sisters and they think these aren’t good enough reasons to leave someone you love and that these things can be grown from and learnt from but idk. Can someone give opinions without bashing me because I have been bashing myself everyday already.

Thanks xx
Reply 1
I am sure both you and him will give different versions of events, both skewed by your own opinions on the matter. What may come across to you as well-intentioned or meaningless may have had a much larger impact on your boyfriend than you expected. I wouldn't say that's your fault in particular as it's something that will happen in all relationships in one way or another, but it's something to be wary of.

As for the breakup, it may be the case that your boyfriend reconsiders his thoughts later on and agrees with your sisters that he didn't break up with you for good enough reasons, but it's worth remembering that your sisters will be biased towards your point of view, and his friends will be biased towards his.

If you want to get closure for this, my best suggestion (if you want to do it) is to talk to him about it.
Reply 2
Original post by EmilyJade24
This sounds so scary for you, and its hugely concerning that he’s now come back and is causing such issues, and increased fear and risk to you. Have you considered reporting him to the police? You deserve to be validated and empowered, not blamed. None of this is your fault. He is responsible for his own behaviour, a choice he made about how to treat you.
Lots of women on here understand the way that stalking can deeply affect you also, and it does add an element of additional risk from a perpetrator if they stalk you too.
Very disappointing to hear that you have not been taken seriously. There are places to go that will take you seriously, and if you look into it I believe that a charge of stalking only requires three incidents, which you probably already have more than, to make an arrest and investigate.
Do you have safety fully on your house? Like a different door lock to any that he would have previously had access to, some camera at the front and back, door spyhole/s, protection on the letterbox etc. Your local DA service would be able to support you with this, with any necessary court orders, doing safety planning with you, and sourcing a refuge place should you need it and you could ask all you need about any refuge before you go to it.

?
This doesn't make any sense. Did you reply to the wrong thread?
Original post by heart2you
?
This doesn't make any sense. Did you reply to the wrong thread?

It seemed as though your heartache is due to the fact he may have engaged in coercive and controlling behaviours. "I haven’t chatted to anyone else, I show him I love him in numerous ways". Have you ever read the handmaids tale? It could help shine a light on the tactics which some males engage in, albeit based on a dystopian reality.
It's probably best for the two of you to go your separate ways without any further communication or negative emotions.

It is impossible to build a heathy and happy intimate relationship based on the combination of a lack of trust, entitlement, lies, breaching the other person's right to privacy and interfering in their friendships.

It sounds like you've dodged a bullet.
These types of guys tend to be problem daters and will often try to ruin their partners self-esteem, isolate or dominate them in almost every way.

Change your dating dealbreakers and never risk dating a guy that either:
1) reads your private messages to other people,
2) expects to receive automatic respect from you, any of your friends or family members,
3) gets involved in your friendships and then complains about being shown "continuous disrespect".

Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by Doomotron
I am sure both you and him will give different versions of events, both skewed by your own opinions on the matter. What may come across to you as well-intentioned or meaningless may have had a much larger impact on your boyfriend than you expected. I wouldn't say that's your fault in particular as it's something that will happen in all relationships in one way or another, but it's something to be wary of.

As for the breakup, it may be the case that your boyfriend reconsiders his thoughts later on and agrees with your sisters that he didn't break up with you for good enough reasons, but it's worth remembering that your sisters will be biased towards your point of view, and his friends will be biased towards his.

If you want to get closure for this, my best suggestion (if you want to do it) is to talk to him about it.

yeah I understand that completely, I think atm he just feels disrespected and hurt and I completely understand but only to a certain extent. He does have a fearful attachment style which means he’s afraid of getting hurt so he leaves to avoid that and comes back. He’s just never left before. Honestly I know I sound delusional but I just really miss him and love him sm! I’m not an evil malicious person to intentionally do these things to hurt him. We spoke and he still has love for me but he just couldn’t continue being disrespected and stuff. Idk if i should stop talking to him on socials all together and maybe he might come back.
Reply 6
If it’s this angsty over very little it’s probably best knocked on the head. Plenty more fish
Original post by Anonymous #1
My boyfriend dumped me last week because he said I have shown him continuous disrespect. Now I know many girls will say this but I am extremely loyal and loving as a gf. I haven’t chatted to anyone else, I show him I love him in numerous ways and as does he. He has a fearful avoidant attachment style and he dumped me because he lost trust in me in December when I had lied about my past. I know it’s bad and I eat myself up about it all the time, I lied about the timelines of when I ended things with my ex as I just wanted a fresh start from such a traumatising back and forth cycle, and with my boyfriend (who’s now my ex) I just didn’t wanna tell him everything. I understand this was wrong, and we had many convos about this and eventually got past it. He then read through my conversations with my bestfriend of 10 years and obviously, girls talk, I sent her loads of jacob elordi edits, and also I told her about a dream I had with a “sexy surfer guy” and a “nerdy tech guy”. He read some of these when I was asleep. He found these things really disrespectful to boast about in a relationship and abnormal. But I’m ngl as if I’d pick Nate jacobs over my bf whom I love and know very much!! I also had told her about a intimate time between me and my boyfriend and said I didn’t really enjoy it and my friend just laughed, but this was our first intimate experience and I get this must have been uncomfy to read for him. He said after he gave me a second chance, although I’ve been a great gf, the disrespect continued (with all of these things) and he thinks we should go our seperate ways. I won’t lie, I love this boy more than myself and I get, the things I did were bad and I want to learn and grow from this, as we are only 20 years old! And growing and making mistakes is part of a relationship, but he thinks it’ll happen again. It’s understandable because what I did was wrong, and he still broke up with me with a lot of love and he wasn’t finding it too easy either. But idk what to do, I love him a lot I just made stupid mindless mistakes because me and my bestfriend talk about everything and have weird banter. The lying is not justified but I was just embarrassed about my past and going back to my ex many times (which doesn’t make my dishonesty right). I know where I’ve ****ed up but I just really love this guy and I want to change and be better for him, but idk what to do. I told my sisters and they think these aren’t good enough reasons to leave someone you love and that these things can be grown from and learnt from but idk. Can someone give opinions without bashing me because I have been bashing myself everyday already.
Thanks xx
Wow very complicated
yeah I understand that completely, I think atm he just feels disrespected and hurt and I completely understand but only to a certain extent. He does have a fearful attachment style which means he’s afraid of getting hurt so he leaves to avoid that and comes back. He’s just never left before. Honestly I know I sound delusional but I just really miss him and love him sm! I’m not an evil malicious person to intentionally do these things to hurt him. We spoke and he still has love for me but he just couldn’t continue being disrespected and stuff. Idk if i should stop talking to him on socials all together and maybe he might come back.
Why would you want him back? He comes across as controlling and weak - this will not end well. Move on.
Thanks xx
Because he ant real man a real man would love his woman to the end
i assume he was the one who asked you out and chased you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending