The Student Room Group

why are [south asian] muslims so close-minded?

Poll

are south asian muslims closed-minded?

I'm not one to generalise an entire group of people, but, i think the proof is in the pudding. south Asian Muslims do not integrate into society; like some of the middle eastern Arab Muslims do. I mean in terms of marriage, friendships and relationships it's pretty evident how boxed off they are.

The thing is they are mixing culture with religion and using it as a justification to be separatist! I'm pretty sure (although I'm no expert) that at its core, marriage, in Islam can be done with "people of the book" i.e. christians, jews and muslims; just to add to that they never seem to marry outside of their race when even the prophet says: “O people, verily your Lord is One and your father is one. Verily there is no superiority of an Arab over a non-Arab or of a non-Arab over an Arab" despite this quote clearly showing race as being irrelevant in Islam why is it still such a big issue particularly in south Asian Muslims.

so summary:
-why do south asians muslims not marry outside of race?
-why do south asians muslims not form friendships with people of other faiths?
-relationships

basically this may sound like a huge generalisation, but i want to hear what you think

Scroll to see replies

ever tried being a muslim in a northern council estate, you literally get spat at on a daily basis and kids kick you and their parents dont care

People want to marry someone from the same faith and outlook as them, that isnt controversial or not integrating.

Plenty of christians also do this, you prob just dont notice.
(edited 6 years ago)
Islam dislikes non-believers.
For some of us it’s because of our strict parents who want to preserve our culture. For others (like me) it’s just a matter of preference. In terms of making friends though, we do make friends with people of all backgrounds.
Original post by Chaz254

I see you conveniently ignored getting outed as a hypocrite, no worries. :smile:
Original post by Chaz254

hmm, possibly? But, I've got many Muslim friends who've integrated into society (middle eastern etc.) my main "issue" (not an issue) is south asian muslims.
Original post by Kevin Hodge
For some of us it’s because of our strict parents who want to preserve our culture. For others (like me) it’s just a matter of preference. In terms of making friends though, we do make friends with people of all backgrounds.

Are you a south-asian muslim?
Reply 7
This isn't something about Islam, its about culture! I am Muslim/Turkish and we do not have this problem. All I'm trying to say is, most asian Muslims combine religion with culture which shouldn't happen but unfortunately it does.
Islam states that man can marry anyone who believes in God in general they do not have to be Muslim, because in Islam the children take the fathers religious beliefs, this is why females are not liked to be married to someone outside the faith. However, this can change from person to person, there are many people that I know are Muslim and married to other faiths. :smile:
Original post by JamesGardiner96
Are you a south-asian muslim?

Yes I am
I'm muslim but don;t know what a south asian muslim is??
Original post by hannah00
ever tried being a muslim in a northern council estate

nope. :colondollar:

get spat at on a daily basis and kids kick you and their parents dont care

yes, there has been a drastic increase in hate crimes, but that's not the point of this thread.

People want to marry someone from the same faith and outlook as them, that isnt controversial or not integrating.

okay here's an example, since you want to talk about same faith - why not a white Muslim? or is it more to do with race.. :redface:
Original post by magicbeans1212
I'm muslim but don;t know what a south asian muslim is??

Muslims from:

Yes I am

do you think its proportionally more to do with strict parenting?
Muslims from:

Then I'm a south asian muslim, pm me if you have any questions
do you think its proportionally more to do with strict parenting?

I think it’s a lot down to strict parents who want to preserve the culture which is why they get their kids married to people of the same culture.
I think it’s a lot down to strict parents who want to preserve the culture which is why they get their kids married to people of the same culture.

also, a lot of South-Asian Muslim marriages are arranged? what's that all about? I mean, marrying their children to someone who their child barely knows - for the rest of their lives.
also, a lot of South-Asian Muslim marriages are arranged? what's that all about? I mean, marrying their children to someone who their child barely knows - for the rest of their lives.

Not necessarily true. They do get to know each other before the marriage. They meet a few times across a period of a number of months and then their child agrees to the marriage.
I'm pretty sure (although I'm no expert) that at its core, marriage, in Islam can be done with "people of the book" i.e. christians, jews and muslims; just to add to that they never seem to marry outside of their race when even the prophet says: “O people, verily your Lord is One and your father is one. Verily there is no superiority of an Arab over a non-Arab or of a non-Arab over an Arab" despite this quote clearly showing race as being irrelevant in Islam why is it still such a big issue particularly in south Asian Muslims.

so summary:
-why do south asians muslims not marry outside of race?
-why do south asians muslims not form friendships with people of other faiths?
-relationships

basically this may sound like a huge generalisation, but i want to hear what you think

I will colour code my answers so it is easier.

Islam does indeed say that you can marry people of the book, however, there needs to be clarifications behind this. One of the conditions of marriage to a woman who is either Christian or Jewish is that she should be chaste. Another is that she believes in what Muslims do i.e. that Jesus is not the Son of God and Mary isn't the wife. (I can't seem to find the correct source so can't say it word by word). The women must also act properly and raise their kids Muslims and finding a women who meets all of these conditions is hard. Therefore, most muslim families like to stick to the people they know about and have confidence in than a person who they know little about.

I am pretty sure you haven't met most people then because you have met a minority. I am a south Asian, lived in south asia for 11 years before moving to UK. I have formed friendships with people who are mostly non-muslims. I don't view them as different nor do a lot of other south asian muslims. I think there are some parents who are worried about their kids deviating from the path they want their kid to follow so they restrict their interactions but my parents trust me so I can do whatever I want except I don't do stuff which is haram and I try to follow the Islamic principles to my best. I'm not sure where you live but I have lived in London, Reading and Bedford and I have seen plenty of people from south asian countries interact with other people who are not their race/religion.

I would suggest you go out and meet some more people because then you will find out lots of new things.
Muslim women are open to non Muslim men just so long as you are manly, determined and physically attractive. Literally the opposite of most White men who are ugly, have beer guts and don't work hard. White men just don't have values which could appeal to Muslims

BTW I am White.
This is so true

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending