The Student Room Group

Departing Procrastination Station! - Saffron's journey to A*AA?

Departing Procrastination Station!

Ayo! If you're here you're either a friend I've forced to read this, looking for someone to empathize with about how DIFFICULT it is to develop the effort to revise, or terribly, terribly lost. No matter what you are, I hope you enjoy reading my grow your grades which I will hopefully update consistently :smile:

A bit about me...

I'm a year 12 student, currently studying Psychology, English Literature, and History.

I have aspirations to study Psychology in the future, with UCL and Bath being my current top contenders.

I've been interested in Psychology since I discovered DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder) whilst browsing the internet at the age of 13. Since then I've looked further into Psychology, reading books and watching documentaries, and found myself fascinated with the field of forensic psychology.

I love reading a lot, fiction in particular. Reading and Youtube are often my top reasons for procrastination :s-smilie:

Goals!

As I mentioned in the title, I'd love to achieve A*AA (mainly because that's what UCL wants lmao). Quite difficult but I hope I can reach it with a lot of effort and revision.

GCSES

As a pre-warning, I probably didn't do as well as the majority of TSR, mainly down to my procrastination in all honesty. I spent the morning of my B2 and B3 exams watching the election results, for example. I really want to get out of this habit in years 12 and 13, not only for A-Levels but also to set me up for Uni.

It makes me quite anxious whenever I procrastinate, so honestly, I'll consider this progress if I just manage to stop procrastinating.

Anyway, the GCSE's (I procrastinated telling you about my GCSE results omg).

Spoiler

Subject details

Incase anyone is looking for someone with the same topics/exam board.

English Literature (edexcel):

Othello and Shakespeare's critics

A Streetcar Named Desire

Dracula

The Picture of Dorian Gray

John Donne

Poems of the Decade Anthology

The Bloody Chamber (for coursework).

Psychology (AQA):

In addition to the compulsory content, our teacher has picked for our options:

Relationships

Schizophrenia

Addiction

These have the potential to change if our teacher decides she fancies something new.

History (AQA):

The Tudors: England, 1485-1603

The American Dream: reality and illusion 1945-1980

and of course, our historical inquiry.

Conclusion

Welp, that's about it for this lil overview. Hopefully I consistently update this and hopefully y'all enjoy reading this (if anyone even ends up reading it lmao).

Scroll to see replies

I'll be here reminding you to keep updating this so don't you worry :wink:
good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by agaaga1010
I'll be here reminding you to keep updating this so don't you worry :wink:

You'll be the one forcing me to do most of the revising lmao!! :five:
Reply 4
omg tysm! :') Are you doing a GYG? :smile:
Original post by saffarinda
omg tysm! :':wink: Are you doing a GYG? :smile:

nah, too lazy. but tag me in your updates :smile:
Reply 6

Relaxation Station -08/11/2017

So today was a fairly chill start!

Year 12 went on an outreach trip to Birmingham University, which was actually quite interesting in my opinion. One of the student ambassadors, in particular, was super kind with answering questions and very funny (and an lgbt+ ambassador which I thought was cool).

I came home and decided to do some more research into universities, and actually found that Kings College London’s Psychology course seemed incredibly intriguing and something I’d love to look into further. It has Forensic Psychology as a potential module for you to take in Year 3 in order to earn credits.

Not much (or any lmao) studying tonight. My Dad and I were building a wardrobe for my room instead aha. I watched the apprentice tonight and woww it was hilariously cringe-worthy. If anyone reading this watches it - did you agree with who was fired?

This was quite a short update, but you’ll get a lot more tomorrow! I have a Psychology lil test on friday I’ll need to revise for, so I’ll hopefully be able to post pictures of my notes for that and also talk about my History triple, and any targets I’m set at my meeting with my tutor (parent-tutor meeting).

Oh! I almost forgot. We were given our first progress review today for our October PPE’s (Pre-Public Examinations, basically mocks lmao). My targets for the end of Year 13 are all A*’s, but my current working at’s are:

English Literature: C2
History: B1
Psychology: B1

I think getting a C in English was quite a shock for me. I've been getting A*'s in English since literally year 9, but I suppose one of the things about A-Level is getting used to the dramatic change. Getting high grades in essay-based subjects (which all of mine are, more or less) is very difficult to do at the start of A-Level, I've learned. It's not until I start to develop the skills required that my grades will be able to go up - no matter how much content I know.

Thanks to @agaaga1010 for slightly peer pressuring me into writing this :wink: and thank you to for seeming interested in it! It was v sweet of you, and as honestly one of the main reasons I even made this update lmao, so thank you a lot. :jumphug:

Let's see what tomorrow holds!

Relaxation Station -08/11/2017

So today was a fairly chill start!

Year 12 went on an outreach trip to Birmingham University, which was actually quite interesting in my opinion. One of the student ambassadors, in particular, was super kind with answering questions and very funny (and an lgbt+ ambassador which I thought was cool).

I came home and decided to do some more research into universities, and actually found that Kings College London’s Psychology course seemed incredibly intriguing and something I’d love to look into further. It has Forensic Psychology as a potential module for you to take in Year 3 in order to earn credits.

Not much (or any lmao) studying tonight. My Dad and I were building a wardrobe for my room instead aha. I watched the apprentice tonight and woww it was hilariously cringe-worthy. If anyone reading this watches it - did you agree with who was fired?

This was quite a short update, but you’ll get a lot more tomorrow! I have a Psychology lil test on friday I’ll need to revise for, so I’ll hopefully be able to post pictures of my notes for that and also talk about my History triple, and any targets I’m set at my meeting with my tutor (parent-tutor meeting).

Oh! I almost forgot. We were given our first progress review today for our October PPE’s (Pre-Public Examinations, basically mocks lmao). My targets for the end of Year 13 are all A*’s, but my current working at’s are:

English Literature: C2
History: B1
Psychology: B1

I think getting a C in English was quite a shock for me. I've been getting A*'s in English since literally year 9, but I suppose one of the things about A-Level is getting used to the dramatic change. Getting high grades in essay-based subjects (which all of mine are, more or less) is very difficult to do at the start of A-Level, I've learned. It's not until I start to develop the skills required that my grades will be able to go up - no matter how much content I know.

Thanks to @agaaga1010 for slightly peer pressuring me into writing this :wink: and thank you to --- for seeming interested in it! It was v sweet of you, and as honestly one of the main reasons I even made this update lmao, so thank you a lot. :jumphug:

Let's see what tomorrow holds!

C in an essay subject is expected as they become much harsher at a level. Keep working :biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Good luck hun! I had the exact same procrastination problem in GCSEs, leading me to not reach my full potential. I hope we can both break that habit x
Reply 9
I will! Thank you :biggrin:

Original post by Tate00
Good luck hun! I had the exact same procrastination problem in GCSEs, leading me to not reach my full potential. I hope we can both break that habit x

Thank you babe! Yeah, procrastination was defo my weakness. Best of luck to you too! Are you doing a GYG? :smile:

Departing Procrastination Station!

Ayo! If you're here you're either a friend I've forced to read this, looking for someone to empathize with about how DIFFICULT it is to develop the effort to revise, or terribly, terribly lost. No matter what you are, I hope you enjoy reading my grow your grades which I will hopefully update consistently :smile:

A bit about me...

I'm a year 12 student, currently studying Psychology, English Literature, and History.

I have aspirations to study Psychology in the future, with UCL and Bath being my current top contenders.

I've been interested in Psychology since I discovered DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder) whilst browsing the internet at the age of 13. Since then I've looked further into Psychology, reading books and watching documentaries, and found myself fascinated with the field of forensic psychology.

I love reading a lot, fiction in particular. Reading and Youtube are often my top reasons for procrastination :s-smilie:

Goals!

As I mentioned in the title, I'd love to achieve A*AA (mainly because that's what UCL wants lmao). Quite difficult but I hope I can reach it with a lot of effort and revision.

GCSES

As a pre-warning, I probably didn't do as well as the majority of TSR, mainly down to my procrastination in all honesty. I spent the morning of my B2 and B3 exams watching the election results, for example. I really want to get out of this habit in years 12 and 13, not only for A-Levels but also to set me up for Uni.

It makes me quite anxious whenever I procrastinate, so honestly, I'll consider this progress if I just manage to stop procrastinating.

Anyway, the GCSE's (I procrastinated telling you about my GCSE results omg).

Spoiler

Subject details

Incase anyone is looking for someone with the same topics/exam board.

English Literature (edexcel):

Othello and Shakespeare's critics

A Streetcar Named Desire

Dracula

The Picture of Dorian Gray

John Donne

Poems of the Decade Anthology

The Bloody Chamber (for coursework).

Psychology (AQA):

In addition to the compulsory content, our teacher has picked for our options:

Relationships

Schizophrenia

Addiction

These have the potential to change if our teacher decides she fancies something new.

History (AQA):

The Tudors: England, 1485-1603

The American Dream: reality and illusion 1945-1980

and of course, our historical inquiry.

Conclusion

Welp, that's about it for this lil overview. Hopefully I consistently update this and hopefully y'all enjoy reading this (if anyone even ends up reading it lmao).

I do Tudors and something I really regretted was not doing enough background reading (reading books, stuff on the internet etc). To do well, I think you definitely need more than just the key dates. Your textbook (if it's the same as mine) will be pretty mediocre at best. Your best best is to buy books about Henry VII and Henry VIII so when you learn about them, you can think "Oh I remember that" so when you write an essay, you know exactly how it fits into the wider context. So, buy books n stuff, it should seriously help you. Oh and write down any cool evidence you think might be useful because what you learn from your textbook probably isn't enough (my teacher gives us sheets and stuff from other books because he says our book is crap on some things).
Good luck!!!!
Ooh psychology! :five: Your blog is so pretty too :smile: good luck!

Concentration Station! - 09/11/2017

I honestly think my biggest task in this whole process will be thinking of a new rhyming title every day that makes sense lmao.

So I personally feel today was fairly productive!

Began the day with History. I completed the work within the first 10 minutes, so I spent the rest of the time making notes on the American Dream Unit! Our lessons were only 40 minutes today due to our early finish so I didn't feel like I could truly get immersed in it. We also had a lesson with our other teacher on the Tudors - we basically completed Henry VII today and were told we have a test on Monday, so I borrowed a text book to revise with over the weekend (if I don't, someone slap me).

The rest of the day involved very short frees. In my first free I started making Psychology notes for our test tomorrow, but again, just as I was getting into it the bell rang. It's quite unusual that I'd be annoyed at the concept of a break aha. In my second free me and some classmates in History began making lists on success and failures of different features regarding Henry VII that we felt had the potential to come up on Monday (nobility, finances, foreign policy etc.)

I stayed behind after school for an hour to do some work whilst waiting for my progress check appointment, but one of my friends just wanted to chat so honestly it was quite difficult to stay focused.

Onto the progress check!

So firstly, my tutor was quite pleased with my grades. They're good for the beginning of A-Level and a solid start. My attendance is currently 92% for some reason - I've had two days off this year so far, once when I was sick, and once for a funeral, but even so my attendance shouldn't be so low. My tutor said it would be the first thing he would start chasing up tomorrow so hopefully, it'll be fixed soon.

He set me a target for my English Literature grade to match my other grades, and to discuss improvements with my English teachers. I explained how different the scheme we're marked against is, and he agreed with the leap from GCSE to A-Level but we need to be set some targets aha.

The last one was quite a bit more difficult. At the end of year 12 we'll have a week of work experience that we have to organize ourselves. I mentioned to him that I want to go into forensic psychology, getting work experience in psychology alone is hard, but forensic psychology, in particular, is incredibly difficult. I've been asked to research opportunities and talk to my psychology teacher about suitable alternatives - anyone have any ideas as to where I could go? Because I'm clueless right now lmao.

Something cool though! I've been picked to go on a debate trip next Wednesday by my english teacher! So if anyone is going to Newman University next Wednesday, I can't wait to see you there! I'm quite excited, I love debating (or expressing any opinion). Apparently, they provide us with the topic, decide whether we're for or against, and we have to research and construct an argument to be presented and held at the debate. I'll tell you all how it goes :biggrin:

So, I came back home. My dad's doing an exhibition for work, and I've been designing him posters and flyers, so I spent a bit of time doing that today. I quite like doing it though, because when he went to the company he's presenting to (Renishaw, if you were curious), the person in charge or editing advertisements complimented the designs and said if I was looking into the field of marketing in the future to apply to them. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I went into advertisement or marketing in the future tbh.

I organized my History folder a bit, then got into revising Psychology (lil pic below of some notes. the lighting is terrible and it's a bit cluttered because there's a drill on my desk out of sight lmao).

23469449_2095899167090627_307653863_o (1).jpg

I felt like the information wasn't sinking in well despite my notes. So I tried some other methods. I ended up doing an hours podcast and I was still dubious about how well the information settled, so I went to my Mum and got her to question me. Ultimately, I'm still not sure how well the information is embedded in my mind. I always feel this way though, but I can often spark my memory in an exam. Hopefully tomorrow in tutor I can do one last skim read before my exam to keep it fresh in my mind.

If anyone has any revision methods that work really well for them, tell me and I'll try it! I still feel like I don't know what's right for me.

Goals for tomorrow:

Re-organise all of my folders, they still feel so cluttered and messy.

Complete english homework on Othello's critics in my free periods.

Read some more of the book "The Private Lives of the Tudors"

Hope y'all enjoyed this slightly longer post! Thanks again @agaga1010 for the motivation! And thank you ----for the encouragement on working in English! <3

Thanks for the advice @AxSirlotl! Yeah, I've ben reading "The Private Lives of the Tudors" and an interestig fact I found quite close to the beginning of the book is that Henry had to take £40 from the royal coffers that he lost whilst gambling (which is now the equivalent to £20,000 - quite a bit different to the financially frugal guy we've all heard of!) Are there any books you'd recommend in paticular? :smile:

Ahh thank you @furryface12! I'm trying to make this as aesthetically pleasing as possible :biggrin: Are you doing Psychology at A-Level too or at Uni level?

See ya tomorrow! :couchpotato:

(edited 4 years ago)
i’m loving this gyg!
Good luck this year! Completely understand what you mean about procrastination holding you back :redface:
Nice blog @saffarinda! I've featured it in our 'favourite blogs' section in our hub, which you can see here :h: Keep it up and good luck!

Elation Station!

So before I start talking about anything else, I just want to say how excited I was to be featured on the GYG front page! If there's one thing to motivate me, it sure is that! Thank you so much @Fox Corner! Plus, my blog was accompanied by a picture of the Hogwarts Express - it's as if y'all know what I love!

Psychology

I began the day with triple Psychology! We didn't have a test, as I'd anticipated, instead, my teacher decided to leave it until our mocks in two weeks time.

We learnt the two-process models and the ways of treating phobia's - systematic desensitization and briefly skimmed over flooding, which we'll primarily be doing for our homework. I quite enjoyed it! Learning something that comes in steps (so for systematic desensitization you have the anxiety hierarchy, relaxation, and then exposure) is much easier for me in comparison to learning separate evaluation points (all the different behavioural, emotional and cognitive features for phobias, depression, and OCD can get mixed up quite quickly - you're basically attempting to learn 27 evaluation points that are vaguely similar and attempting to not mismatch them).

After class, I spoke to my teacher about work experience in Psychology. It's incredibly difficult to get good work experience in Psychology if you're under the age of 18, particularly in forensic psychology, so I have to look for alternatives in Psychology. My teacher recommended either working in a care home looking after those with Alzheimer's and similar disorders or potentially working in our school's special needs department because sometimes educational psychologists come in so I would be able to interact with them and learn more about practical applications of Psychology. I'll continue to look into it, but f anyone has any recommendations or experiences of their own please tell me!

General RE

As a Catholic school, we still do general RE at sixth form despite it not providing any UCAS points sigh. Let's skip over this part lmao.

Sleeeeeeepy

So the library was closed during my only free period of the day which resulted in some super (read: not super) productive times :s-smilie:

I went home to lie on my bed, fully prepared to relax for a bit then to begin my English homework at 5pm... and fell asleep... for 5 hours.

Something you may learn about quickly is my awful sleeping pattern. I honestly want to fix it. During my GCSE's I usually revised until 12-1 in the morning, fell asleep, woke up at 5am and kept revising until the exam. In hindsight, it was probably the worst thing I could've done - but at the time it felt like it worked.

Plan for tomorow

So one thing that really interferes with my weekend is my job. On Saturdays, I work from 6pm-10pm waitressing, and on Sundays, I work from 2pm-8pm pot-washing/as a prep chef. Saturday's I can still work a fair bit, but Sunday cuts out prime-time revision.

I'll have some hilarious stories from the day though, last week was my first week waitressing and I may have dropped one of the plates I was holding and spilt vegetables and a bit of hotpot over the floor and myself. Hopefully, I can get better at waitressing as well, I've started having some anxiety related dreams from messing up at work or being late - we have some weird rectangular plates that are so difficult to hold, and the plates are hot which means we hold them with napkins and they slip around in my hands. I really hope I can manage to carry two plates without screwing up by the end of December - I'm working on the 23rd of December waitressing which means busybusybusy :s-smilie:

However, I am getting paid on Sunday which means I can afford tickets to a tour I want to go to - look forward to the lil things in life :redface:

But other than that, I need to finish my critics of Shakespeare tomorrow and then do some Henry VII revision on Sunday. There probably won't be an update until Sunday night, potentially Monday, because I won't have time on Saturday night, to be honest!

Thank Yooou! <3

As always, my thanks to @agaaga1010 and ! You've both helped me so much over these past few first days of blogging.

Thank you @cloudbubbles I'm glad you're enjoying it! I'm attempting to incorporate my personal life and feelings as well as what we're doing, to hopefully make for more interesting reading :biggrin:

@luberry glad someone else can relate! Hopefully, you can learn from where inevitably fail and end up procrastinating - I'm kidding, kinda, maybe aha :wink:

Again, thank you Fox Corner! And anyone that is lurking after seeing this on the GYG front page, please say hi! Knowing that people are reading this really forces me to be productive (if you don't know what to say, feel free to talk to me about Stranger Things 2 - I've binge-watched it and need people to talk to about it).

See you all Sunday/Monday! Have a fun weekend :elefant:

(edited 6 years ago)

Elation Station!

So before I start talking about anything else, I just want to say how excited I was to be featured on the GYG front page! If there's one thing to motivate me, it sure is that! Thank you so much @Fox Corner! Plus, my blog was accompanied by a picture of the Hogwarts Express - it's as if y'all know what I love!

Psychology

I began the day with triple Psychology! We didn't have a test, as I'd anticipated, instead, my teacher decided to leave it until our mocks in two weeks time.

We learnt the two-process models and the ways of treating phobia's - systematic desensitization and briefly skimmed over flooding, which we'll primarily be doing for our homework. I quite enjoyed it! Learning something that comes in steps (so for systematic desensitization you have the anxiety hierarchy, relaxation, and then exposure) is much easier for me in comparison to learning separate evaluation points (all the different behavioural, emotional and cognitive features for phobias, depression, and OCD can get mixed up quite quickly - you're basically attempting to learn 27 evaluation points that are vaguely similar and attempting to not mismatch them).

After class, I spoke to my teacher about work experience in Psychology. It's incredibly difficult to get good work experience in Psychology if you're under the age of 18, particularly in forensic psychology, so I have to look for alternatives in Psychology. My teacher recommended either working in a care home looking after those with Alzheimer's and similar disorders or potentially working in our school's special needs department because sometimes educational psychologists come in so I would be able to interact with them and learn more about practical applications of Psychology. I'll continue to look into it, but f anyone has any recommendations or experiences of their own please tell me!

General RE

As a Catholic school, we still do general RE at sixth form despite it not providing any UCAS points sigh. Let's skip over this part lmao.

Sleeeeeeepy

So the library was closed during my only free period of the day which resulted in some super (read: not super) productive times :s-smilie:

I went home to lie on my bed, fully prepared to relax for a bit then to begin my English homework at 5pm... and fell asleep... for 5 hours.

Something you may learn about quickly is my awful sleeping pattern. I honestly want to fix it. During my GCSE's I usually revised until 12-1 in the morning, fell asleep, woke up at 5am and kept revising until the exam. In hindsight, it was probably the worst thing I could've done - but at the time it felt like it worked.

Plan for tomorow

So one thing that really interferes with my weekend is my job. On Saturdays, I work from 6pm-10pm waitressing, and on Sundays, I work from 2pm-8pm pot-washing/as a prep chef. Saturday's I can still work a fair bit, but Sunday cuts out prime-time revision.

I'll have some hilarious stories from the day though, last week was my first week waitressing and I may have dropped one of the plates I was holding and spilt vegetables and a bit of hotpot over the floor and myself. Hopefully, I can get better at waitressing as well, I've started having some anxiety related dreams from messing up at work or being late - we have some weird rectangular plates that are so difficult to hold, and the plates are hot which means we hold them with napkins and they slip around in my hands. I really hope I can manage to carry two plates without screwing up by the end of December - I'm working on the 23rd of December waitressing which means busybusybusy :s-smilie:

However, I am getting paid on Sunday which means I can afford tickets to a tour I want to go to - look forward to the lil things in life :redface:

But other than that, I need to finish my critics of Shakespeare tomorrow and then do some Henry VII revision on Sunday. There probably won't be an update until Sunday night, potentially Monday, because I won't have time on Saturday night, to be honest!

Thank Yooou! <3

As always, my thanks to @agaaga1010 and ----! You've both helped me so much over these past few first days of blogging.

Thank you @cloudbubbles I'm glad you're enjoying it! I'm attempting to incorporate my personal life and feelings as well as what we're doing, to hopefully make for more interesting reading :biggrin:

@luberry glad someone else can relate! Hopefully, you can learn from where inevitably fail and end up procrastinating - I'm kidding, kinda, maybe aha :wink:

Again, thank you Fox Corner! And anyone that is lurking after seeing this on the GYG front page, please say hi! Knowing that people are reading this really forces me to be productive (if you don't know what to say, feel free to talk to me about Stranger Things 2 - I've binge-watched it and need people to talk to about it).

Haha I don't know about that.. so far my own GYG seems to be quite a lot of procrastination anyways whoops 😂
I haven't started watching Stranger Things 2 yet because I know I'll binge watch and then nothing will get done - so no spoilers please :wink:
(edited 4 years ago)

Elation Station!

Psychology

General RE

Sleeeeeeepy

Plan for tomorow

Thank Yooou! <3

As always, my thanks to @agaaga1010 and ----! You've both helped me so much over these past few first days of blogging.

Keep working :smile: I did psychology GCSE it was mad interesting. Phobias was good but I didn't have to learn 27 evaluation points for it lmao

also, how good of an actor is noah schnapp? hes incredible
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 19

Thank you babe! Yeah, procrastination was defo my weakness. Best of luck to you too! Are you doing a GYG? :smile:

Yeah I am, you can check it out if you want https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5006410&p=74494388#post74494388

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending