The Student Room Group

Historical Investigation AQA

Hi i started doing my historical investigation, we have to complete a sheet with sources, question, etc. I need some help with phrasing my question and some sources if possible. Im planning on doing continuity/change from meji restoration and the edo period before.

Heres my plan for some questions:
With context to the years 1790 to 1905, the fall of the Tokugawa Shogunate and the Meiji Restoration was necessary for Japan to become modernised country.
To what extent did the Meiji Restoration modernise japan 1790 to 1905.
How significant was the Imperial Restoration in modernising Japan.

Could you help me rephrase or make a good question on that time period and suggest any sources. Ty ty ty bbyz
Reply 1
Hey there sam, I think both of your questions are really good but the question: "To what extent did the Meiji Restoration modernise japan 1790 to 1905." seems more suitable. This is the website I used for my sources : http://orbis.library.yale.edu/vwebv/search?searchType=0&recPointer=1&searchCode=TALL&searchArg=sources+of+japanese+tradition&recCount=50&dbCode=LOCAL , there is lots to choose from.
Reply 2
Original post by Aakash K
Hey there sam, I think both of your questions are really good but the question: "To what extent did the Meiji Restoration modernise japan 1790 to 1905." seems more suitable. This is the website I used for my sources : http://orbis.library.yale.edu/vwebv/search?searchType=0&recPointer=1&searchCode=TALL&searchArg=sources+of+japanese+tradition&recCount=50&dbCode=LOCAL , there is lots to choose from.

Cheers for the suggestion on the question, i dont know how to ask the sources on that yale website doesn't seem to be working???
Reply 3

Also would you by any chance have any suggestions for two disagreeing historians on the meiji reforms
Reply 4
So there is: Louis Cullen who sees the reforms of the Meiji era as well thought out and sensible responses to the realities of the 19th Century world, and in particular the threat from Western Imperialism. However, on the other hand W.G. Beasley argues that when compared with other revolutions like the French and Russian, the Meiji Restora- tion did not constitute a revolution in the classical sense. I hope that helps
Reply 5
So there is: Louis Cullen who sees the reforms of the Meiji era as well thought out and sensible responses to the realities of the 19th Century world, and in particular the threat from Western Imperialism. However, on the other hand W.G. Beasley argues that when compared with other revolutions like the French and Russian, the Meiji Restora- tion did not constitute a revolution in the classical sense. I hope that helps

Thats Great thanks a lot really helped
Reply 6

Hey, i have been writing my historical inv, when skimming through cullen's book i cant seem to find any particularly areas supporting your suggested view. Just wondering whether you could help. Thanks
Reply 7
Hey there Sam, good to hear back from you. How is your historical investigation going so far? I will just need to refresh myself on Cullen's book again. When do you need to hand your work in by as it will take a few days for me to find the relevant pages/areas of the book? I am hoping I can get the information to you by Friday
Reply 8
Hey there Sam, good to hear back from you. How is your historical investigation going so far? I will just need to refresh myself on Cullen's book again. When do you need to hand your work in by as it will take a few days for me to find the relevant pages/areas of the book? I am hoping I can get the information to you by Friday

Hey aakash, sorry i missed your message, its going alright i have just been strugling on covering the full 100 years and getting good precis quotes. Your help is much appreciated, furthermore i have edited to question to only include political and social extent of modernisaton. I have untill the start/ mid feb thanks!
Reply 9
Sorry, I have been caught up with work - I recently started a new job. I am not sure if you have handed in your historical investigation, but I'm ready to help now if you still need any help. Investigation aside, which course are you planning to study at University?

Again I'm really sorry for the late reply.
Reply 10
Sorry, I have been caught up with work - I recently started a new job. I am not sure if you have handed in your historical investigation, but I'm ready to help now if you still need any help. Investigation aside, which course are you planning to study at University?

Again I'm really sorry for the late reply.

Hey, yeah i handed it i. Its fine, thanks fo your help and good luck in your new job! Im doing business management hopefully at uni
Hello sam!I’m doing an investigation on the same topic! I have to get some books together by this coming Wednesday I’ve been trying to look for books on it but i’m not entirely sure what to get - Any recommendations? I have the 1850-present Christopher harding book, but that’s about it at the moment Also I hope your essay went well! (It was 4 years ago now, but still)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending