The Student Room Group

I have found a fair bit if money in my corridor near to my student accommodation

I have found a fair bit of money in
the near to where i am staying at my student accommodation

i not told anyone yet as i had only found it this morning should i start telling people to see if anyone has lost it or should i wait till someone says something about missing money

As if i was to go around broadcasting it people may end up trying to lie and claiming its theres when in actual fact it isnt

any thougts on what i should or could do

Scroll to see replies

keep it :smile:
Reply 2
The good in me says take it to the Police

The evil in me says keep it
hand it in to the authorities.

what goes around comes around

:yep:
Reply 4
If I were in your shoes, I'd take it to student resources, or the police, and see if anyone can prove it is theirs.
That way, you can't be accused of trying to keep the money for yourself, and it is much more likely the person that lost/left the money will claim it.
Hope this insight helped somewhat, best of luck! :smile:
Reply 5
I always been curious, how the police can find that person who lost their money?
Reply 6
Original post by Inister
The good in me says take it to the Police

The evil in me says keep it

hmmmmmm intresting

what would you ulimately do then :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by the bear
hand it in to the authorities.

what goes around comes around

:yep:

is that really right though as ive heard that expression before but i wouldnt really know how else anyone would prove its theres surely it would be extremly hard for anyone to prove it is theres if i was to hand it into the relevant authorities
Reply 8
Original post by CONJH99
If I were in your shoes, I'd take it to student resources, or the police, and see if anyone can prove it is theirs.
That way, you can't be accused of trying to keep the money for yourself, and it is much more likely the person that lost/left the money will claim it.
Hope this insight helped somewhat, best of luck! :smile:

Wouldnt it be extremly hard for anyone to prove that the money is there if i was to hand it in
I wonder if the authorites wouldnt just keep it for themselves if no one was to claim it meaning i wouldve lost out on the money
thankyou for your insight :smile:
Original post by jack6565
is that really right though as ive heard that expression before but i wouldnt really know how else anyone would prove its theres surely it would be extremly hard for anyone to prove it is theres if i was to hand it into the relevant authorities

it certainly does not belong to you. the authorities will know what to do.
How much is a fair bit? Are we talking hundreds or thousands?
Reply 11
Original post by Heyok
I always been curious, how the police can find that person who lost their money?

yes it is something i have thought about as surely it would be extremly hard for one to prove that it is there money
Reply 12
Original post by the bear
it certainly does not belong to you. the authorities will know what to do.

I did tell a very close friend and he is the only one i have told and he said to me that now im not sure if this is right or not but if i was to hand it in their is a chance that the authorties may keep the money if no one was to claim it after a certain period of time
Use it to post pictures of the missing money around campus.
Reply 14
Original post by yungaheartz
How much is a fair bit? Are we talking hundreds or thousands?

we are talking hundreds so it is a fair bit of money but not a massive amount
Hand it in.. imagine if you were the one that lost that money. Somebody needs that.
Keep it (if you need it)
Hand it in if you don't

No idea why people call it a crime though. You didn't steal it so keeping something you found is not a crime. Sure it's sad for the person it belongs to but equally their fault for stupidly dropping/losing it. And don't say it could have been stolen because which thief would steal money and then just dump it somewhere?
Original post by jack6565
I did tell a very close friend and he is the only one i have told and he said to me that now im not sure if this is right or not but if i was to hand it in their is a chance that the authorties may keep the money if no one was to claim it after a certain period of time

i have handed money to the police. they give you a receipt and after a certain amount of time ( maybe a month or so ) you can claim it if the owner has not.
Original post by goggleyed
You didn't steal it so keeping something you found is not a crime.

Yes, it can be. See link above.

Quick Reply

Latest