The Student Room Group

I have found a fair bit if money in my corridor near to my student accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Finding something and keeping it isnt a crime is it ?
Reply 21
Original post by XOR_
Use it to post pictures of the missing money around campus.

but then i would run the risk of a lot of people coming foward claiming its theres wouldnt i ?
This happened to me once. I found £110 I think on the floor, it got traced back to me and I gave the money back to the owner. I suggest you give it to the police etc.
Original post by marklow
Finding something and keeping it isnt a crime is it ?

It can be. Google "Theft by Finding".
Reply 24
Original post by samesea
Hand it in.. imagine if you were the one that lost that money. Somebody needs that.

yes that is true i was thinking about that
Reply 25
Original post by goggleyed
Keep it (if you need it)
Hand it in if you don't

No idea why people call it a crime though. You didn't steal it so keeping something you found is not a crime. Sure it's sad for the person it belongs to but equally their fault for stupidly dropping/losing it. And don't say it could have been stolen because which thief would steal money and then just dump it somewhere?

yes i didnt realise it was a crime

They must have been fairly complacent to loose that amount of money as i didnt intentionally go out to steal it i stumbled across it
Reply 26

surely me taking the right steps to find who it is would be by asking people in my accomadation and if no one claims it i could have it and another point is that i didnt intentionally go out to steel i came across it through no fault of my own
Reply 27
For sure, but I'm sure the authorities have practiced means of finding the person. Besides, that way it is out of your hands (literally) and you will have a clear conscience
Reply 28
Original post by Texxers
This happened to me once. I found £110 I think on the floor, it got traced back to me and I gave the money back to the owner. I suggest you give it to the police etc.

how did it managed to get traced back to you
Original post by jack6565
how did it managed to get traced back to you

Cannot say, sorry confidentiality reasons.
If I were you, I'd consider how much this "fair bit" is. Is it a couple £100 or £1,000? If it is less than £100, maybe the owner won't be harmed too much by the loss but if it's in the £1,000s, that loss could really make their life difficult!

<£50 and I'd consider it a bit of good karma on your part... (Don't tell me you wouldn't keep it if you found that much) If it's anymore, I'd take it to your accommodation services.
surely me taking the right steps to find who it is would be by asking people in my accomadation and if no one claims it i could have it and another point is that i didnt intentionally go out to steel i came across it through no fault of my own

Take the risk if you want. I would personally go to the uni authorities/police.
I say wait until someone asks about it, but don't give it to the police. they'll just take it for themselves.
Don't be a thieving, slippery oik like those saying you should pocket it.

The best suggestion is handing it in to the police. They won't hand it out if no-one can prove it's theirs, and if no-one claims it you'll get it back.
Original post by goggleyed
No idea why people call it a crime though. You didn't steal it so keeping something you found is not a crime. Sure it's sad for the person it belongs to but equally their fault for stupidly dropping/losing it. And don't say it could have been stolen because which thief would steal money and then just dump it somewhere?

Absolute hogwash.
Just remember what happened in "No country for old men"
Reply 36
I have found a fair bit of money in
the near to where i am staying at my student accommodation

i not told anyone yet as i had only found it this morning should i start telling people to see if anyone has lost it or should i wait till someone says something about missing money

As if i was to go around broadcasting it people may end up trying to lie and claiming its theres when in actual fact it isnt

any thougts on what i should or could do

Hand it in of course. Go to the nearest campus office and ask for a receipt with the amount written on it (and I'd give my phone number because if it's not claimed you might get it back, or a reward for being honest :wink:).
As a primary school child I found a plastic bag with a lot of 20 pound notes taped together in bundles on the school playground. must have been over 1k. was a dodgy neighbourhood, street behind the wall was a drug haven at night with lots of prostitutes

handed it in to the school, got a handshake

should have taken it, i regret it. nobody would go to the police looking for illegal money anyway

anyways, just note that when you hand it in the police or the campus, it becomes their property if no one claims it. you get nothing for it, other than a guilt free conscience.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 38

Don't try to find out who lost it - just take it to the police, as per @the bear's post.

It's very likely no-one will claim it, in which case it becomes yours.

edit: nb... https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q245.htm
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Profesh
Absolute hogwash.

Calm down dear

Quick Reply

Latest