The Student Room Group

Should I Give An Xmas Present To A Girl Who Rejected Me?

I'm 16 and she is 17.

A girl who rejected me at the end of secondary school (we are still friends - I speak to her about once a month on Messenger) is a big fan of horror films like I am so I wanted to give her a copy of my favourite horror - The Thing - for Christmas (I like to share the things I enjoy with others) but I'm worried if I do she'll think I'm trying to win her back - it's just a friendly gesture I swear and in no way an attempt to win her over as I'm fine with just being friends, and I'm giving presents to other people of course, but I'm scared she'll get the wrong impression and think I still have dating her on my mind.

Should I give it to her or not (if it makes any difference, I wouldn't be able to give it to her in person as we go to different colleges and she lives 18 miles away from me; I'd have to give it to one of my friends who goes to her college who could then give it to her)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I feel like it would be a far-pushed gesture for a girl who lives that far away and doesn't speak to you in real life anymore. If you really, really want to though, you could message her and say that you bought two copies and had you in mind, to make it seem more like a kind thought than a full on present :smile:
Tricky
Do you buy presents for all your friends? If so, is she aware of that?
If she knows you have feelings for her it may be a bit awkward.
If you’ve already bought it then you could attach a little note that says you appreciate her friendship and hope she enjoys it.
If you make it clear it’s just friends then it’ll probably be ok
Original post by SpacePatroFan189
I'm 16 and she is 17.

A girl who rejected me at the end of secondary school (we are still friends - I speak to her about once a month on Messenger) is a big fan of horror films like I am so I wanted to give her a copy of my favourite horror - The Thing - for Christmas (I like to share the things I enjoy with others) but I'm worried if I do she'll think I'm trying to win her back - it's just a friendly gesture I swear and in no way an attempt to win her over as I'm fine with just being friends, and I'm giving presents to other people of course, but I'm scared she'll get the wrong impression and think I still have dating her on my mind.

Should I give it to her or not (if it makes any difference, I wouldn't be able to give it to her in person as we go to different colleges and she lives 18 miles away from me; I'd have to give it to one of my friends who goes to her college who could then give it to her)?

Just forget the woman and move on.
what? of course not - are you joking?
Original post by Lydbeth
I feel like it would be a far-pushed gesture for a girl who lives that far away and doesn't speak to you in real life anymore. If you really, really want to though, you could message her and say that you bought two copies and had you in mind, to make it seem more like a kind thought than a full on present :smile:

That's a good idea but how would I get it to her if she said yes?
just send her a card. not too expensive.
Original post by Jimbo Jones
what? of course not - are you joking?

Errr..no :/ What's wrong with this question?
Eh I wouldn't. You've asked her out previously, and you just speak once a month online. I kinda think it would look "too keen".
Reply 9
That's a good idea but how would I get it to her if she said yes?

You could give it to the guy you know at her college who can hand it to her, like you said :smile:
Good luck!
Errr..no :/ What's wrong with this question?

why would you ever think of trying to cling on to a "friendship" with a girl that rejected you? that's pathetic - for what purpose?
Original post by Sammylou40
Tricky
Do you buy presents for all your friends? If so, is she aware of that?
If she knows you have feelings for her it may be a bit awkward.
If you’ve already bought it then you could attach a little note that says you appreciate her friendship and hope she enjoys it.
If you make it clear it’s just friends then it’ll probably be ok

She does know about my feelings; when I told her, she giggled nervously and said she didn't get why cause we don't hang out that often; a month later, when I said sorry for making her feel awkward she said there was no need to worry about our conversation and of course we can stay in contact, so we've spoken on Messenger once a month since and it hasn't been awkward. I was gonna attatch a note but it's not gonna be mushy like that - it's gonna be friendly in a casual way cause mushiness is associated with romance but friends are more casual :smile:
Original post by Jimbo Jones
why would you ever think of trying to cling on to a "friendship" with a girl that rejected you? that's pathetic - for what purpose?

loads of people remain friends with people who rejected them, though.
I'm 16 and she is 17.

no u idiot , let her suffer and forget about her
She does know about my feelings; when I told her, she giggled nervously and said she didn't get why cause we don't hang out that often; a month later, when I said sorry for making her feel awkward she said there was no need to worry about our conversation and of course we can stay in contact, so we've spoken on Messenger once a month since and it hasn't been awkward. I was gonna attatch a note but it's not gonna be mushy like that - it's gonna be friendly in a casual way cause mushiness is associated with romance but friends are more casual :smile:

That’s not mushy!!!
It sounds like you’ve both agreed on a friendship so it should be fine
Reply 15
Or you could give that present for close friend who enjoys horror movies
loads of people remain friends with people who rejected them, though.

no they don't though - not when you're an adult who is conscious of the dynamics between men and women
Original post by Blue_Cow
Just forget the woman and move on.

I really want her to see this movie, though. I'm listening to the soundtrack as I write this and it's absolutely brilliant; love how it imitates a human heartbeat :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
no u idiot , let her suffer and forget about her

Just cause she didn't like me like that doesn't mean she's not a nice person.
Original post by T0mas
Or you could give that present for close friend who enjoys horror movies

If I chicken out it's gonna come to that :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending