The Student Room Group

Maddie's journey to AAA

GROW YOUR GRADES

Hi!!! I'm Maddie and welcome to my 2017 grow your grades (it may not seem like it now but I have a personality, I swear!)

I'm most probably the biggest procrastinator in the history of the world. I figured that doing this would allow me to gain some motivation to get the grades I want to get into the universities I want and would help me beat the procrastination.

ABOUT ME

- I'm 16 years old, in year 12.
- I take psychology, philosophy & ethics, and english literature.
- I really want to study psychology at degree level at preferably the University of Surrey.
- I am aiming to get 3 As at the very least, but would also really like an A* in philosophy and ethics.

I know that I need to work hard to get these grades securely and that's what I'm hoping to achieve by doing this - I'm hoping to motive myself into doing a bit better than I did at GCSE.

Speaking of GCSE, here is what I got:

Spoiler

It is a solid set of results, but I feel like I could've done better and I really don't want to feel that way when I receive my A-levels, so that is what I'm hoping to achieve by doing this.

CONCLUSION

I'm hoping to update this frequently and I hope I will be as productive as I plan to be!
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mads_12.x

GROW YOUR GRADES

Hi!!! I'm Maddie and welcome to my 2017 grow your grades.

I'm most probably the biggest procrastinator in the history of the world. I figured that doing this would allow me to gain some motivation to get the grades I want to get into the universities I want and would help me beat the procrastination.

ABOUT ME

- I really want to study psychology at degree level at preferably the University of Surrey.
- I am aiming to get 3 As at the very least, but would also really like an A* in philosophy and ethics.

I know that I need to work hard to get these grades securely and that's what I'm hoping to achieve by doing this - I'm hoping to motive myself into doing a bit better than I did at GCSE.

Spoiler

It is a solid set of results, but I feel like I could've done better and I really don't want to feel that way when I receive my A-levels, so that is what I'm hoping to achieve by doing this.

CONCLUSION

I'm hoping to update this frequently and I hope I will be as productive as I plan to be!

Best of Luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by abhinair3004
Best of Luck :biggrin:

Thank you!!

GROW YOUR GRADES

Hi!!! I'm Maddie and welcome to my 2017 grow your grades.

ABOUT ME

Spoiler

CONCLUSION

We wish you the very best of luck Maddie - hopefully we'll see you at Surrey! :biggrin:

-Ashley
Reply 4
good luck!!
Reply 5
Original post by University of Surrey
We wish you the very best of luck Maddie - hopefully we'll see you at Surrey! :biggrin:

-Ashley

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by nyxnko_
good luck!!

Thank you!
Reply 7

11/12/2017 :smile:

Hi! So this Friday, I have a psychology test (I do the AQA exam board) and in my last test I got a B, so I decided I wanted to do a bit better this time because I know I could've avoided some silly mistakes. I only had one free today (each period is 50 minutes at our school) and spent that (you guessed it... procrastinating) attempting to write a 16 marker on the cognitive interview for my psychology homework. When I got home, I finally managed to finish it and I discovered the past papers on this website. I did a couple of past paper questions and managed to get almost full marks on the questions I did, so I'm feeling quite confident, but I definitely need to revise some 16 markers because I don't know a single bit of evaluation!

I also finally did some english lit homework that was set for me last Friday (another demonstration of my procrastination - I'm sorry in advance because that'll definitely be a running theme :tongue:) about the characters in the Handmaid's Tale.

My day wasn't all too interesting today and I didn't get much homework, but it'll probably get more during the week! I'm also hoping for an essay I wrote for Handmaid's Tale as well, which I will hopefully get back tomorrow! I also will try to include pictures next time :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hello! Your blog is looking great already :h: Good luck with it all, and good luck with your test on Friday too!

Is there a particular area of psychology you enjoy the most? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Changing Skies
Hello! Your blog is looking great already :h: Good luck with it all, and good luck with your test on Friday too!

Is there a particular area of psychology you enjoy the most? :smile:

Thank you :biggrin: and at the moment I'm enjoying the memory topic, but overall in psychology I'm very interested in mental health, I find it very interesting :smile:
Reply 10

12/12/2017

(A day late with this but I'll explain why :smile:)

I may have jinxed myself a bit when I said I didn't have much homework... the amount I got on yesterday was actually ridiculous - on top of the fact that I didn't get in until seven anyway, it meant I was doing work until 9 in the evening. It was fun... I managed to get four pages of notes for philosophy and a set of psychology questions done without somehow losing my mind. I also got my English essay back and got 17/25 in it (a B). I was okay with it but I know I could've done better. Thankfully it's only the second essay we've done so I've got plenty of time to improve!

13/12/2017

Today was much easier because I had key skills in the afternoon where we worked at a primary school, and I had double philosophy and psychology in the morning. We finished the ontological argument in philosophy today and got set an essay for January. This evening, I've done some of my English homework (9 pages of highlighting D:smile:, so I have plenty of time to just relax in my three frees tomorrow. I've also done some revision on 16 markers for my psychology test on Friday.

If anyone wants to be tagged, reply to this and I will tag you next time :biggrin:

12/12/2017

(A day late with this but I'll explain why :smile:)

I may have jinxed myself a bit when I said I didn't have much homework... the amount I got on yesterday was actually ridiculous - on top of the fact that I didn't get in until seven anyway, it meant I was doing work until 9 in the evening. It was fun... I managed to get four pages of notes for philosophy and a set of psychology questions done without somehow losing my mind. I also got my English essay back and got 17/25 in it (a B). I was okay with it but I know I could've done better. Thankfully it's only the second essay we've done so I've got plenty of time to improve!

13/12/2017

Today was much easier because I had key skills in the afternoon where we worked at a primary school, and I had double philosophy and psychology in the morning. We finished the ontological argument in philosophy today and got set an essay for January. This evening, I've done some of my English homework (9 pages of highlighting D:smile:, so I have plenty of time to just relax in my three frees tomorrow. I've also done some revision on 16 markers for my psychology test on Friday.

If anyone wants to be tagged, reply to this and I will tag you next time :biggrin:

Your subjects sound like so much work, with essays and so on. Good luck for that psych test!!
PS. Please add me to the tag list :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by nyxnko_
Your subjects sound like so much work, with essays and so on. Good luck for that psych test!!
PS. Please add me to the tag list :biggrin:

They are pretty crazy haha, and thank you :biggrin: I'll add you next time :smile:
Reply 13

15/12/2017

Today was by far the most relaxing day of my entire week. I had my memory assessment this morning and it was veeeeeeeery good. We got a 16 marker on the cognitive interview and the rest of it was on eyewitness testimony, which is the latest stuff we've done. I'm feeling fairly confident, so hopefully I've done well! I'll find out on Monday :biggrin:

15/12/2017

Today was by far the most relaxing day of my entire week. I had my memory assessment this morning and it was veeeeeeeery good. We got a 16 marker on the cognitive interview and the rest of it was on eyewitness testimony, which is the latest stuff we've done. I'm feeling fairly confident, so hopefully I've done well! I'll find out on Monday :biggrin:

Yay!!! If it went well, that's good!! :biggrin: Hope you do well!!
Reply 15
Original post by nyxnko_
Yay!!! If it went well, that's good!! :biggrin: Hope you do well!!

Thank youuuu
Reply 16

18/12/2017

I took a break this weekend so that's why there was no gyg :smile: I basically just did my psychology research methods homework and some work on Kantian Ethics. But what I did find out today was that I have got onto the EPQ! We applied for it last week and at my school, they only allow a certain number of students onto it and I was extremely pleased to find out I can do it.

Ethics
I was studying scholars both for (not that there were many) and against Kant's ethical theory. I don't particularly enjoy ethics all too much in comparison to philosophy, but I enjoy criticising ethical theories, so it was quite enjoyable!

Double english
In the first period, I was in a group of three making sheets about characters in Othello - our group got Iago which was thankfully fairly easy.
In the second period, we were preparing for a timed essay that some of us are going to do on Wednesday (me included, because I'd really rather not do it after the holidays) by writing a practice paragraph about control in the Handmaid's Tale.

(If anyone else wishes to be tagged, just say :biggrin:)
Reply 17

19/12/2017

English
I was making a revision resource for context for Othello yesterday. We used the various sheets Miss had given us to make it, and I need to finish mine for homework.

Psychology
The first period was when I got the big results... I got *drum roll* 84% (an A :biggrin:) I was very happy, needless to say!
In the second period we were studying control of extraneous and confounding variables in research methods.

Philosophy
I got my last essay on Soul, Mind and Body back and managed to get 28/40, which was a B. It wasn't quite as good as I was hoping for but I knew I hadn't done too well so I didn't mind as much. I'll rewrite it over the holidays, I think!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18

20/12/2017

Psychology
Today, we did Kahoots on all of the psychology we've done so far, as we've now finished the memory topic and it's the end of term, so we decided we wouldn't start the new topic until after the half term.

English
My teacher gave us the option of whether or not we did a timed essay today or after the holidays, and me and three other students decided to do it today. It was based on language in the Handmaid's Tale, which was fairly simple but because it was our first timed essay, I didn't manage to complete it. However, I will bear that in mind when I get my mark back :biggrin: Thankfully, I'd revised language that morning.

(I won't post any GYGs until after the festive period, as it's a very busy time because I have quite a big family :biggrin:)

20/12/2017

Psychology
Today, we did Kahoots on all of the psychology we've done so far, as we've now finished the memory topic and it's the end of term, so we decided we wouldn't start the new topic until after the half term.

English
My teacher gave us the option of whether or not we did a timed essay today or after the holidays, and me and three other students decided to do it today. It was based on language in the Handmaid's Tale, which was fairly simple but because it was our first timed essay, I didn't manage to complete it. However, I will bear that in mind when I get my mark back :biggrin: Thankfully, I'd revised language that morning.

(I won't post any GYGs until after the festive period, as it's a very busy time because I have quite a big family :biggrin:)

aww... I hope you did well with that English test.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending